• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill Cemetery Grave Of Wm H Cooper

lourocke

Brummie babby
I wonder if anyone can please help me. I've just found that my Greatgreat Uncle William Henry Cooper is buried at Key Hill in Section D grave 111.

Is there any way I can find the exact location of his grave as I know most of the headstones have been removed/flattened. I would love to find this so we can reclaim it for the family.

lourocke - I am sure key Hill Brian will be able to help you - he is an expert at finding graves in Key Hill and he loves reuniting graves with relatives. I am sure he will reply to your post as soon as he sees it.

Hi lourocke,

Just got in and saw your post - D 111 is an unmarked Public Grave near the Key Hill entrance. It is occupied by many many people who could not afford to buy an entire grave for themselves, so are 'renting' space in a large one. Farly typical of most ordinary working class people - can't afford to but their own house, so rent rooms in a block of flats!

I'll load up a plan for you in a tick.
Brian

Colour_map~0.jpg Section Area's in both Key Hill & warstone Lane Cemeteries

KH_C-D_New.jpgKey Hill Sections C & D - Redrawn by Brian Redfern for the Friends.

Many, many thanks for that Brian. I think we may have the wrong person here. We have his Will and it's unlikely he would be buried in a public grave. He left his house to his sister Charlotte and his wine cellar and his collection of contempory paintings to his brother! Oh well back to the drawing board again.

Polly - no he never married. He lived with his Sister. He died June 1852 in Chad Road, Edgbaston. I've tried all graveyards, but all enquires come to nothing.Find My Past gave the grave plot D111. But it cannot be right. My family (before they moved out to Edgbaston - 1841 - 1852) lived at 3 Bridge Row, Deritend from before 1800 to 1841. On the 1841 Census William's there with his Mother Hannah and his Sister Charlotte. He left a will as did his father (another William Cooper who died 1841) so I don't think he'd have had a communal grave

They were brass metal rollers in Bradford Street.

lou dont give up as there are many clever members in this field on here who love a mystery and i know will do their best to help you...

lyn

Lou,

You can get a copy of the Burial Register entry which will show exact date of burial, age, address & next of kin.
£4 by emailing [email protected], or £10 from [email protected] - or if yoyu are lucky, call into handsworth cemetery, oxhill Road (they are open 7 days a week), and maybe a nice smile might get you a peek at it for free if they are in agood mood!
If you are a member of BMSGH, you can look for free Mon-Fri in their room in the Birmingham & Midland Institute, Margaret St.

That would confirm who the William Henry Cooper in D111 actually is.

Otherwise try Edgbaston parish Church - St Augustines?

Brian

I've just checked the Findmypast records from Handsworth Cemetery that have come online today and it says: Burial Year:1852
Surname:COOPER
Firstnames:William Henry
Register no:9324
No. in grave:
Monumental Inscription:
Place:Key Hill cemetery

I'm not sure how this fits in with the information you had previously. There are no plot numbers on there. The bottom of the entry gives you an email address to contact for a copy of the entry - as shown by Brian above.
[I assume that you are confident of the 1852 date; there is also another William Henry Cooper, buried Key Hill in 1856]

Sorry Brian, but St Augustine's didn't open until 1868, so we can rule that one out :)
St George's is the closest to Chad Road; until 1852 it was a chapel of ease for Edgbaston Old Church. No mention of a burial ground for St George's though.
Edgbaston Old Church (St Bartholomew's) is also a candidate - certainly did some burials. Library has these on microfilm I think

Hope that this helps

Les

lourocke - this is a mystery isn't it - It does sound as if he had a bit of money doesn't it. Have you managed to find the burials of his parents or sister?

I have checked the indexes and have the same info as Brian the register number is 9324. I have also double checked the memorial inscription book and nothing is listed. This one is a mystery as Brian says you need the info from the register. Sorry could not help more.

Wow! Many thanks everyone. I've got the probated Will dated 28th January, 1853 so I know it's 1852 not the 1856 William Henry Cooper. Find My Past gave the reference number. I rang Handsworth with the reference number 9324 and they gave me D111. I'm just going round in circles. Think I shall have to make a few personal visits! Thanks for the info.

Back