• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Key Hill and Warstone Lane Cemeteries Open Weekend

This area took some tracking down as a lot of the headstones were knocked down and/or buried - and some had not even been erected!

At least it proved that they only unearthed and cremated the ones actually under the metro - they are all listed on the metro wall.
All these publics were left alone, just dumped on and forgotten - The story of their lives!

This area took some tracking down as a lot of the headstones were knocked down and/or buried - and some had not even been erected!

At least it proved that they only unearthed and cremated the ones actually under the metro - they are all listed on the metro wall.
All these publics were left alone, just dumped on and forgotten - The story of their lives!

yes bri i looked at the metro wall the other week...im getting more and more dissalusioned at the lack of respect shown to the departed...is nothing sacred....

lyn

There is a massive document on the work done by Centro at Key Hill Cemetery in the light of recent posts about the promise they made to look after the garden it may be worth looking into. I know Pauline had this document a few years ago, she may be able to tell you how she got hold of it.

The cemetery looks lovely on the "before" picture on post#58. How sad it is to see it as it is now - all those people buried under the excess soil and forgotten :( Is there anything we can do to find out who was buried there and remember them in some way?

Hi Rosie - correction to earlier post - the round topped public visible is S15/S16 facing you with S17/S18 on the reverse, just visible behind on the left is S19/S20 with S21/S22 on reverse.

Hi Polly

Nice little task - note all names on metro memorial - work out what graves they are all in.
Work out who is in each Section S graves - list them by grave - deduct names of Metro memorial

Just needs a keen volunteer with a few hours to spare and square eyes - (these are not compulsory - but you will have them after staring at Computer for so many hours!)

It may be possible to [put a plaque on the Metro wall? - preferable something the tatters won't nick!

Cheers - A williong volunteer is better than 10 pressed men - have mentioned it to Richard tonight at a do in the Jewellery Quarter.

well thats 3 of us :) will leave it to bri to see what day he can get us all down there at the same time..or seperate if thats more convienient..maybe a bit much coping with us lot all at once:D

Many thanks

Need to list all on the metro memorial, check them against the Burial list (kept in Pen Room)
List Sections S's - more of an office job than a cemetery task.

Have to sort out a day people can pop along!

Brian all the names on the memorial are in the memorial inscription book. If it is all correct would that make it easier, not to have to stand in the cemetery taking the names down...just a suggestion.

Cheers Wendy,

That's why it's an office, home or pen room task for someone - not reallly a cemetery task

However, I worry aboutb the Metro memorial - Had an enquiry via BMSGH about P835 - found it's approx location, but only 2 of the 3 occupants are listed on the Metro memorial !

Did they leave the deeper ones alone, or just bloody careless about the paperwork!

It sounds as if the The Metro memorial might be one of those "lets be seen to be doing the right thing but don't worry if it's not accurate" things :(

Brian the inscription for P835 is in the book so thats bad if not all are listed on the memorial. Did you get my post about the Centro document. I wonder if it might be worth applying to see it. There was loads of info about plantings memorials etc it could give you more information. Nothing to loose Pauline had it on loan but had to return it.

Hi Brian,
Thank you for post #65, that's good news!. I thought they had been moved not dumped on though.

If it's any help, Great Grandmother Emma Sharp (died 20 Jan 1931) is on the Metro Screen, and she was P518. There's no MI, but I don't think it was a Public grave.

I was told that some bodies had been removed to Handsworth for re-burial, would this account for wrong numbers?

rosie.

Last edited:
As far as I know, families were contacted where possible , and had the choice of removing remains to family graves elsewhere.
many were not contactable since few still lived at the same address after so many years!

They obviously only removed the minimum possible that were actually under the workings, those adjacent were not disturbed - except for all the builders machinery going over them!
Their memorials just became casualties of the construction industry.

The Centro info has been passed to Richard & Mary to pursue. - They probabaly had a time limit built in! - As is often the case, things only go wrong the day after the guarentee runs out - never the day before!

The poor occupants of P835 also have variations on the spelling of their surname in the BMSGH transcriptions - that should now be noted for future referance.

Don and I met Brian at Warstone Lane today and put up the marker for my gran and grandad's grave.
When I have more time, I'll go and plant some bulbs etc...but at least the grave is now marked!
Here's a couple of photos.
Also, check out the following photos, love 'em!

oh charlie thats a lovely marker...so pleased that at last you have done this....well done you...:)

and as for the other 2 pics....im still rolling round the floor laffin:D:D

lyn

Charlie I am so pleased that you found your grandparents grave and put a marker on it :)Well done!
It will look lovely in the spring if you put some bulbs in.

Very funny pictures - although I can't believe it's Brian......he NEVER keeps still :D:D

Charlie, so glad you have found your grandparents grave and you were able to put a marker for them.
Has Brian started a new trend that we get our headstones before we die.
Lynne.

Charlie, so glad you have found your grandparents grave and you were able to put a marker for them.
Has Brian started a new trend that we get our headstones before we die.
Lynne.

:D:D lynne i have always thought brian was a man who like to be well ahead of things...

Charlie I am so pleased you have a marker on your grandparents grave at last. It looks lovely ...now thw planting starts. The photo of Brian is great...planking indeed Pol....just the laugh I needed today.

Well the wife has been on at me for some time to take things easy.....!!1

I think the marker looks just great, and as Charlie and Don were doing all the hammering, gigging and Planting - I just did what it said on the tin (grave!)......

Lying down on the job again !

Back