• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kevin Kennedy 1914–1985

giomach

Brummie babby
Kevin Kennedy, born in Belfast, married Muriel Mulhall (1925–1967) in Birmingham in 1948, and then married Helen Connell (c1932–1991) there in 1968. Muriel is buried in Lodge Hill (is there an inscription?), Kevin and Helen are buried in Ireland. Kevin appears to have worked in the motor industry in Birmingham.

After Kevin's father died in 1917 in Belfast, leaving Kevin as the only surviving child, I can find no further record in Ireland of Kevin or of his mother, Mary Emily Elizabeth (née McMillan, born Barnsley in 1885).

I'd like to know their history post-1917 — did they come to England, where did they live, did Mary re-marry, when and where did she die, when did Kevin come to Birmingham, etc. Perhaps he still has decendants in Birmingham who might know more.

In the online electoral rolls there is a Kevin and Muriel J. Kennedy listed as follows:
1950 No 2 back no 15 Ormond St
1952-1957 98 Eversley Road
1960-1965 59 Bevington Road

He does not seem to be listed on the rolls before 1950

There don't appear to be any Kevin Kennedys on the 1921 census in Eng or Wales or on the 1939 register.

The first appearance of him in Bham is his 1948 marriage and 1950 ER. He could have been somewhere other than Bham prior to that, where the ERs are not online.

Kevin and Muriel possibly had 4 children, sadly it looks as if 3 of them died young leaving only the eldest son, Francis J b1947. There doesn't seem to be any other mention of him, so maybe returned to Ireland with his dad.

Also do you know for certain that Kevin's dad died in Belfast 1917?

I can see him (Thomas) and Mary on the 1911 census and a death registration for a Thomas in 1917 but they don't seem to be the same person.

Many thanks to mikejee and MWS, both very helpful.

Thomas Kennedy's death in 1917 is actually registered in Larne, not in Belfast.
Also, Kevin Kennedy (and possibly also Helen) died in Birmingham, although buried in Ireland (see photograph)

Will concentrate now on Francis J, and on the 1917–1948 period.

Attachments

• 100_1499.JPG
    100_1499.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
There is a death registration for Kevin in Bham Mar qtr 1985 but not one for Helen.

Francis was born in 1947, registered late Mar qtr 1949 (possibly a twin of Elizabeth). Kevin & Muriel's marriage was registered Mar qtr 1948.

MWS, have you any more information on the births/deaths of the four children, beyond what can be seen on FreeBMD?
Many thanks again.

These are the birth reg of the 4 children born with mmn Mulhall. As 2 were registered in the same quarter it looks as if they might have been twins as MWS said.
1655914303615.png

MWS, have you any more information on the births/deaths of the four children, beyond what can be seen on FreeBMD?
Many thanks again.

Nothing except that Patricia and Thomas are possibly buried at Lodge Hill and Elizabeth (if she didn't marry) may be buried at Witton. I did say Elizabeth had died young but it may have been in 1981.

Thanks again to everyone. Just to add that I see a death of Elizabeth A Kennedy, aged 0, at Coventry, in the 4th quarter of 1947.

That's the one I got a little mixed up with but there appears to be a matching birth in Coventry same qtr & year.

A death for an Elizabeth Anne Kennedy was reg Mar qtr 1981 Bham, dob 24 Apr 1947, which is consistent with her birth registration but can't be certain it's her.

Back