• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Kenyon st Hockley

james houston

Mr Sparks
I lived in Kenyon St from 1958 till 1963 and went to St pauls school on the corner of Spenser St and Warstone Lane This area was then a slum clearance area and most houses were demolished in the late 60s.Has anyone any memories of the school and the area. Jim

Cannings corner of kenyon st and gt hampton st
If you put Kenyon in the search box ...top of the page there are many posts on this street and may be more pic's too...

Chris/Pom

Attachments

• canning building corner kenyon st gt hampton st.jpg
    canning building corner kenyon st gt hampton st.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited by a moderator:
We lived at the rear of number 65 in what would now be called a mews we called it a back house.No 65 was 3 houses up from the cop shop,when i was young i remember there always seemed to be a copper standing on the cobblestones under the arch of the station he would always stare at you when you walked past then ask if you had been behaving ,used to frighten the life out of me.Jim

James
Here are 3 pictures of kenyon st police station taken around 1970, together with one of Anstey & Wilson from the same period. The last picture is unidentified, but was taken on the same film as the anstey & wilson one, just after one of spencer st. Do you recognise it ?
mike

9__Kenyon_st_police_stationA.jpg

10__Kenyon_st_police_stationA.jpg

11__Kenyon_st_police_stationA.jpg

17__43-46_kenyon_st__Anstey___wilsonA.jpg

35A.jpg

hi lindadev
yes i knew about keyon st many years ago
i also had freinds there as well
all three divisions was of c division
keyon st , and dudley rd next to the park
was a little sub division
and lady wood was rebuilt and moderenised
and became bigger and the nerve centre
devided between hockley lady wood and
dudley rd station covered winson green and
and handsworth
best wishes astonian ;;

kenyon st 1970

astoness...

Attachments

• kenyon st 1970.jpg
    kenyon st 1970.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
kenyon st 1965 2.jpg kenyon st 1965.jpg kenyon st..back of 47.jpg james..ive found three more ...hope they are of use to you...

astoness....

pics courtesy of carl chinn

Last edited:
Hi there
Am I right in thinking this was spelt Kenion Street in the Census returns of 1851 and 1861 and would have been in All Saints district.
If so I had ancestors that lived at no 67. Is it still there? Is it shown on any of the photos?

Thanks.

Many thanks for all the pictures that have been sent,the one showing workplaces was our yard area with a view over the back of the police station.There in the right hand corner was a small factory i think it was some kind of acid cleaning firm run by a father & son.

Just seen your reply to Kenyon st from august,if you go to reply Number 8 you will see a photograph of 2 houses with an entry between them we lived at the rear of these houses and I think 67 is the one on the left we lived at 1/65.jim .

Anstey & Wilson brings back so many memories, it was my first job after leaving school in 1968.

Hi does anyone have any old photos of Kenyon Street? My mum was born there in 1949 , I thnk at no 3, and she died last year so I am looking into the family history. She started to do the family tree but then fell ill.

any photos would be really appreciated.

Thank you

Jackie Pedley

Cannot find reference to a number 3 Kenyon St in the electoral rolls. Where it would have been seems to be a factory. However almost opposite the police station wa sa terrace of houses all listed as back of no 11. I would guess that the house would have been 3 back no 11. The map below shows it in red. I think the shop on the right in the picture on the Kenyon st thread showing the police station would be no 11, and the terrace would ahve been behind it.

map_c_1955_showing_no_4_back_11_kenyon_st.jpg

I lived in Kenyon St from 1958 till 1963 and went to St Pauls school on the corner of Spenser St and Warstone Lane This area was then a slum clearance area and most houses were demolished in the late 60s.Has anyone any memories of the school and the area. Jim
I lived in George St West Brookfield and attended St. Paul's form 63 to 67 or 68. I had great times at that school. The most vivid memory is crossing the road at lunchtime, with many other pupils, for our lunch in a little ramshackle elongated shed. Still visit cemetery to this day as I used it with some of my fellow pupils as a short cut on the way home where the mint was not far along the road as we excited. Great Times, no worries that was left to our parents LOL.

I lived in George St West Brookfield and attended St. Paul's form 63 to 67 or 68. I had great times at that school. The most vivid memory is crossing the road at lunchtime, with many other pupils, for our lunch in a little ramshackle elongated shed. Still visit cemetery to this day as I used it with some of my fellow pupils as a short cut on the way home where the mint was not far along the road as we excited. Great Times, no worries that was left to our parents LOL.
hi and welcome...we always advise members to use the search box as we may already have a thread going for your street..in this case we do so click on the below thread...also there maybe photos of this street scattered on the forum but under different thread titles so use the search box as you may find some..hope this is of help

Back