• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kenworthy's dog brooches

Brumboy66

I found a Kenworthy's dog brooch while metal detecting during the pandemic. On its reverse it shows that it was made by Kenworthy's Ashton & Birmingham. Through contact with a lovely lady called Jill, who is involved with documenting the history of the Stalybridge area, I obtained some information about Kenworthy's activities in her area but I would like to find out more about their Birmingham shop. Also, I would like to know what type of dog my brooch represents as it's image does not appear in any listings I have seen. Any feedback greatly appreciated. See images of my brooch attached.

Attachments

• DSC01418.JPG
    DSC01418.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
  • DSC01416 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSC01416 (600 x 450).jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 16
I found a Kenworthy's dog brooch while metal detecting during the pandemic. On its reverse it shows that it was made by Kenworthy's Ashton & Birmingham. Through contact with a lovely lady called Jill, who is involved with documenting the history of the Stalybridge area, I obtained some information about Kenworthy's activities in her area but I would like to find out more about their Birmingham shop. Also, I would like to know what type of dog my brooch represents as it's image does not appear in any listings I have seen. Any feedback greatly appreciated. See images of my brooch attached.

I see that these dog brooches are known as Kenart Dogs on the internet. Also came across a web site which gave some information about the company with details of their Birmingham operations.

Attachments

• 5D0C959B-D0C6-4522-BF09-E4B2BCFC50F9.png
    5D0C959B-D0C6-4522-BF09-E4B2BCFC50F9.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
From Grace‘s guide

“1947 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Engraved Silver Jointed Bracelets. Silver Cigarette Cases and Boxes. "Kenart" Costume Jewellery is Comprising Perfect Models of Dogs, Horses, Cattle, Sheep, Cats, Rabbits; in Gold, Silver, Enamel and Metal. (Olympia, Ground Floor, Stand No. E.1734)“

Wow! What an amazingly quick and informative set of responses. Thank you all for your replies. From Tinpot's response it appears that the company only started using the name Kenart at some point after 1921 following the death of James Kenworthy. The fact that my dog brooch does not have the Kenart logo on its reverse suggests that it was manufactured before Kenart was established but after James' sons opened their store in Birmingham. That indicates that my brooch could have been made in either Ashton or Birmingham in the early to mid 1920s.
Morturn, thank you for your suggestion that it could be a Pointer. I think you might be correct, although most of the examples of Kenart Pointer brooches I have seen show the dogs tail in a different position to mine. I have yet to find another example with Kenworthy's markings and the same dog shape.
Pedrocut, thanks for the reference. I will attempt to dig deeper to see if there are any links to my brooch. Many Thanks.

I can find no mention of Kenworthy's in Birmingham directories up till 1924. Possibly they are listed under another name (not Kenart). In 1932 the address is 46 Northampton St. By 1936 edition it is 15 Pitsford St. (Year is publication date and probably refers to year before)
PS address for 1936 corrected to 15 Pitsford St

Last edited:
We have 2 medallions from the South Liverpool Canine Society, both identical with a laurel wreath one side, and "Kenworthys" at the apex; and 3 dogs' head on the other. The hallmark shows they are Birmingham silver 1932. They have diameter 31mm and weigh over 250g together. They were family winnings presumably but they do not really have significance for us.

Is anyone interested in owning them? We would like them to have a good home!
1658596991637.png
1658596941784.png

Hi I'm just replying to your post . I work for kenworthys ltd from 1962 after leaving school , I worked there for about 4 years as a trainee enamel artist . I was being trained by the manager Alf perusal. We were none at the time as the dog enameller of England . This was only a small part of the business we also made masonic jewelry , chain of office , sports badges and trophies let alone all the masonic jewelry. Getting back to the dog brooches they were mainly made for the big dog shows around the world like cuffs we not only did dog brooches which was ever enamel or not in gold or silver or gilding metal which was ever plain or chrome plated we would hand stamp the back of the brooch before we did everything to them with the kenart samp I should know as I have stamp 1000s of them in my short time at kenworthys did you know kenworthys also had a place in Ashton in makerfield were they made fitted cases for the jewellery we made in Birmingham before sending to the customer I believe it was manager by kenworthys son in law?

Hi Brian, many thanks for your reply to my post. I was wondering if my brooch might pre-date the Kenart versions as mine does not have the Kenart stamp on it?

Sorry for the delay in replying to you as I've have been very busy but replying to your question all the dog brooches where flat back the brooches where dropped stamped this means a placeing a ever silver or guilding metal on top of a die that had the reverse of the dog in the die the top die was flat and dropped onto the blank metal to take up the shape this was done for us by a company called simkis when we got them back the back of the brooch where complete flat after cutting them out we would hand stamp with our kenart stamp we also had some of our dog brooches cast like or Afghan hound brooch but these were also flat back so I believe yours is a very early version as we kept a copy of ever brooch we made and I cannot remember seeing one like yours

Brian, Many thanks for taking the time to provide such an in depth and first hand account of the Kenart manufacturing process. As you mentioned, the Kenart examples are all flat backed but mine isn't. As you suggest, this could indicate that mine is an earlier version which used a different manufacturing technique. I suspect that mine probably dates to the early 1920s.

Back