• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

KENT STREET BATHS

postie

The buck stops here
Staff member
In 1851 Birmingham opened its first public baths in Kent Street..‚.. .‚.. .‚.. (c).‚.. Birmingham museums & art gallery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite an futuristic frontage. I dived in competitions there once. I remember it was the Coronation Year of Queen Elizabeth and I won an engraved red, white and blue silver medal. Still treasure it today. Are the baths still there?

HA!!!!!!!!!!!!! i learnt to swim at Kent Street!!! My dad threw me in!!! It was still there c.1975 if thats any good?

I belonged to the Birmingham Ladies Swimming Club at Kent Street baths. I learned to swim there and was awarded a medal for swimming quarter of a mile (I was only 10 at the time). Anyone else remember this club?

Kent Street Baths.

Same Baths different Club. I was a member of the Severn Street Swimming Club. We met at Kent Street and was still thriving in the early to mid 1960's. and run by Stan and Nora. There were inter club competitions and and an annual mile race in the River Avon at Twinning Fleet.

I remember if you went behind the scenes at Kent Street it was possible to look into the remains of the main Baths hit by bombs in WW2. It was being used as a bus garage.

Public Baths,

if any one is interested I have a 1940 newspaper report about the air raid on Kent street baths as refered to in the Tozer thread

HELLO every one i had two uncles worked at moseley bath,s ned nicholl ,davey kane. we never used that bath,s as it alway,s made our eye,s sore so 6 days aweek, it was kent st. the whole gang was into every competition i wish there was film footage or photo,s of us. i knew molly may she worked on the ticket office 1970,s & the chippie on the corner for our scratching , i have some photo,s only of bath,s outside ok, christy

If anyone want's more information about Kent street send a personal message to Dorothy H. Her uncle ran it for years. I was not a member of the club but used to train on Wednesday evening with Bert Owens. Met some one the other called Barry Townsend. She would be only too pleased to help. Bye for now. Jean.

hi, jean many thank,s for getting back & yes i would like some more info on KENT, ST please from DOROTHY,H ALSO THERE MOST BE FILM FOOTAGE &PHOTO,S TAKEN THERE WERE SO MANY COMPETITION,S AT THE BATH,S,IHAVE A GROUP PHOTO OF PEOPLE FROM THE BATH,S I KNOW MOLLY MAY IS THERE ,PLEASE GET IN TOUCH. CHEERO,, CHRISTY

hi, jean, my name is chris, delaney, i do have a photo of poor children in 1910 in kent st they floor boarded the swimming area [christmas-party] molly may was a witness when my granny got married in 1940, molly was seen in the kingsheath area a few year,s ago she would be well in her 80,s ,bless her,cheero, christy i,e sorry there was to many chris,s for this site, so thats why i had christy

Spent a lot of time there in late fifties, early sixties. Even won a medal once as part of a relay team. Gave the medal to a girlfriend, haven't seen it (or the girl) since.

gg jean, has dorothy h any photos of kent st baths or film footage, we was there every day in 1970,s,,...cheers.....christy.

I will e.mail her Chris. She is very helpful as Robert found out. I trained there on Wednesday evening with the Birmingham squad under a Mr Bert Owens from Woverhampton. He put us through our paces ok. Jean.

Back