• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kensington Road Selly Park elegant & unusual house

Kensington road Selly Park? I've lost the site where I found photos but there were about 5 similar and a couple had added pitched roofs.

No 36,38,40,42 & 44
Posting this here but it could be another thread?

The 5 houses on Kensington Rd seem to have been commissioned by Philip Sargent Florence and his wife Lella Secor Florence the then owners of Highfield House at the rear. In the 1930s Bauhaus founder Walter Gropius was to design a modernist block of flats but plans were locally opposed. The 5 houses were 'Bauhaus style' but I'm not clear at what date they were eventually built. Possibly by a company called Isokon.

Not being cheeky at all. Donation made in appreciation of the volunteers who run and contribute to the forum. Thank you.
many thanks from me too adrian...as with many things the pandemic has affected our forum funds...we usually hold a least 2 forum meets up a year and hold some great raffles at them and all proceeds go towards the up keep of the forum along with the private donations this keeps our head above water so as they say every little helps

thanks again

lyn

Just to finish this thread/my journey off then, I visited my dad's house in Kensington Road on Saturday morning. Photo attached. We already knew it had been renovated/redeveloped but the other houses built at the same time still look as my dad's did in 1954. What a lovely place to live though. Selly Park at the top of the road and Pebble Mill Road near the bottom end. I got a bit of a buzz driving along Pebble Mill Road having grown up watching Pebble Mill at One and Saturday Night at The Mill with Bob Langley and Donny MacLeod!

The idea that the houses were built in a Bauhaus style set me off researching that as well. I came across this guy, who you probably know about, but just in case you don't,

I'm moving shortly (I hope) so will certainly get something of his to commemorate my dad's life and my family connection to Birmingham.

Stay safe everyone and thanks again.

Adrian

Attachments

• 44 Kensington Road Selly Park in 2021 (4).jpeg
    44 Kensington Road Selly Park in 2021 (4).jpeg
    1,011.3 KB · Views: 18
Thank you for updating us. It is so nice to know what happens after we have helped with some research.

Adrian,

If you still visit the Forum......

Your reference to your grandfather having been given the opportunity of opening a new factory in Kirkby is interesting. Do you know for whom he was working when in Birmingham? ICI, as it was then? Anything further known?

(Work began on the Kirkby plant of ICI Metals Division- which was run from its HQ at Witton, the Kynoch site - in 1948. At the time it was described as the largest and best-equipped tube mill in the country).

Chris

Adrian,

If you still visit the Forum......

Your reference to your grandfather having been given the opportunity of opening a new factory in Kirkby is interesting. Do you know for whom he was working when in Birmingham? ICI, as it was then? Anything further known?

(Work began on the Kirkby plant of ICI Metals Division- which was run from its HQ at Witton, the Kynoch site - in 1948. At the time it was described as the largest and best-equipped tube mill in the country).

Chris
Hi Chris,

I'm just going through the process of digitising my dad and Grandad's photographic slides and, as there are 3 of the Kirkby factory during construction, an internet search brought me back to this thread. I can answer your question. After the war, my Grandad was transfered to the Metal Production Department at Witton, Within two years he was appointed manager of the Witton Tube Mill. He became Factory Manager of the Allen Everitt Works and Factory Manager of the Kirkby Works. At the time of his death, in July 1964, his appointment as Strategic Planning Manager (Tubes) had been announced.

Any information you have will be gratefully received.

Regards

Adrian

Back