• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Keep Out The Horse Road

brumgum

Proud to be a Brummie!
My Nan used to tell me to "keep out the horse rd", find out why this was good advice.....
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDwXzy_EJok&feature=PlayList&p=2867C4B7CB0A9C22&index=15"]YouTube - Old London Street Scenes (1903)[/ame]

Oh my goodness Brumgum that film was unbelievable. No wonder there were so many accidents. If I remember right Kathleen Dayus's son was knocked down and killed by a cart near Camden Street. My Nan always shouted after me when I left her house to go to my aunts "mind the horse road". Now I know why!!

Brumgum, what great pics. It's amazing watching people dodging between the carriages and the odd car; so busy too. My Mom used to tell me to 'mind how you cross the 'orse road ', but only our baker had a horse and cart when I was little! Anthea:)

You must take into account that it looks more manic as it actually was, the film is from a hand cranked camera & you can see everything is speeded up at least 80% & in some parts over 100% so the people who are actually leisurely strolling along appear to be scurrying.

My Grandad remembers tight packed cabs & omnibuses sometimes getting 'wheelocked ' where one wheel would go behind another which sometimes broke the wheel on one of the vehicles if the drivers weren't fully awake. looking at that film you can see why

Gosh that looked busy. I wonder when the traffic had to keep to the right, everything thing seems to be every which way on there.

Brilliant!

I've just discovered this thread. Thanks brumgum for the wonderful scenes of London traffic in the horse era, so full of public transport interest! I love the way the pedestrians just mill around amongst the horse-drawn vehicles (of course speeds were very low). I think I spotted a motor car towards the end of the video. 1901-1910 was the decade in which the horse-bus was largely replaced by the new-fangled motor-bus, but clearly by 1903 the horse still reigned supreme. I wish we had something of similar vintage of Birmingham.

When I was a child we lived for a while in Kyrwicks Lane, Sparkbrook, and our neighbour would call out to her children: "Don't go in the 'orse ro-ad, them vans'll 'ave yer!".
;)

Incidentally, the link given wouldn't work for me for some reason. This one did though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-5Ts_i164c.

That's a Keepa (except I can't work out how to download from YouTube - does anyone have a tip?)

Thanks Thylacine for the link as I couldn't get the original to work either. I could only spot one motor-vehicle which is surprising amidst all that traffic. The level of traffic and apparent lack of pedestrian safety still surprises me for the date. See also https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=30846

I didn't notice any problem with film speedup in fact I would say it is of particularly good quality. It would have been hand-cranked of course but I suspect the good old BFI have weaved their magic as part of the semi-restoration or stabilisation

That worked a treat Terry thanks and so simple! That'll be my damp weekend sorted downloading all my faves

Re: Brilliant!

Hi Adept Brummie,

my mom grew up on Kyrwicks Lane from 1954-70. It coud have been my Nan shouting this at her kids. My mom was at 164 the house with the shop front that sold second hand clothes for a while to make ends meet.

Do you remember Hickey's Fish Shop?

Hi CVB1,

I was only six or seven years old at the time, so my memory is a little hazy. I can't even remember what number Kyrwicks Lane we lived at, but it was right next door to Hawleys Bakery (where my Dad worked as an accountant). Don't remember Hickeys Fish Shop either, but I probably knew it (always was fond of my stomach!). I loved living in Sparkbrook, and was always causing my Mom anxiety by "living on the streets". We used to play on what we called "bomb sites" (aka "bomb pecks"?), which were probably just vacant blocks awaiting redevelopment (this was the mid-1950s). I attended two local primary schools: Chandos Road and Church Road. Mom hated it there and got quite ill over it (can't imagine why!), so we moved on to a semi-detached in the more "genteel" Yardley after a year or two.

Back