• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Kathleen Dayus

W

Wendy

A Hockley Girl

I have just read A Hockley Girl by Kathleen Dayus. I found it a great read it helped me to understand what it was like to live and grow up in the court houses at the time. I really enjoyed it.

Hockley Girl

Moma P: Kathleen Dayus wrote a number of books: "Her People" "All My Days" etc. Is this an amalgamation of all her books into one novel?
Wonderful books, she knew my parents/grandparents because they lived in the next yard in Camden Grove - in fact, my grandparents (The Chapmans) get a mention in her first book. My Aunt reckoned everyone was frightened of 'Granny Greenaway' (Kate's mother) and my grandparents took in Kate's sister Jack when Granny Greenaway kicked him out!
All the books are a fascinating account of a life of poverty in Hockley. Now looks at the price of flats (sorry, apartments) in this area, my parents would be dumbstruck!

Yes Charlie you are right this book is an amalgamation and I really enjoyed it. I didn't know your family connection that makes it even better, I have the trilogy also I will have to read this one now!

These Books are truly interesting I found them very sad to read as this is the area and times my mother lived there. I guess they made me realize what a hard life my mother had lived. I have saved these books for my daughter to pass on as it will give them an insight as to were they came from and the hardship their ancestors endured.

How wonderful that you should have a family connection with Kathleen Dayus, Charlie. Her remarkable books should be required reading for anyone remotely interested in the social history of Birmingham in the early 20th century.

Without delving to check, I recall that the fierce mother died in the Blitz when Camden Grove was hit. Was your Chapman family involved with this?

Chris

My grandmother and grandfather Chapman (together with their youngest daughter) were bombed out of Camden Grove that night but survived and moved into a house in Icknield Street. After grandfather died in 1944, gran and Aunt Ciss came to live with us in Handsworth. They stayed with us til gran died in 1950.
They were hard times living in that area, without Herr Hitler adding to the misery!
Maybe the Kathleen Dayus books should be required reading in Birmingham schools so that future generations will know how people managed to live without computer games and Ipods!!

The invaluable Swanshurst School/BARRA website tells us that the Camden Drive incident (it's listed as "Camden Grove" but surely it was "Drive", wasn't it? - I'm getting confused!) occurred on 10th April 1941. Two people are listed as having lost their lives, Mary Ann White aged 48 and the woman who was presumably Kathleen's mother - she is listed as Mary Ann Greenhill aged 74. (Greenhill or Greenaway?) Mary is mentioned in the book as Kathleen's sisiter.

(One reference to all this is on P. 650 of the Omnibus pb edition. There may be others).

Chris

Last edited:
I have read many books by Kathleen Dayus, some more than once. I think that they must be my favourite books of all time. I also saw the film on TV.... A Bakers Dozen, that was based on her life.

Although I did not know her, I went to her funeral at Yardley a few years ago and saw many from her family. The chapel was packed and some were even standing.

I saw her give a "Question and Answer" session at Digbeth Civic Hall some years ago. She told me my mother (Clara) was always know as "Clack" and was a right little goer! She also told me she was sure that my gran's elder sister was 'On the Game'. Things you really need to know!!!!!!

You got me interested enough to put a bid on one of her books via ebay.
"All My Days"

Last edited:
Pretty sure I read on here that is was Kate's elder sister that was "Allegedly" on the game.

Well some things don't change there were a couple at the bottom of Ickneild St on the last Heritage Open Day:rolleyes:.......ups sorry Charlie don't think it was yer aunt!:D

Wonderful Postie! That's the first time I've seen a photo of one of the courts.
I've taken a copy for me Family File, hope that's OK. Can you tell me which book it came from please.
Many thanks
Charlie

Last edited:
Re: A Hockley Girl

I bought an extra copy of the Omnibus edition from Amazon, using their Amazon Sellers service where other individuals sell new or secondhand books. Have always found it very satisfactory with less hassle and little more expense than bidding on eBay.

Chris

Always worth a quick Google - I just found one on offer at half the Buy it Now price on eBay.

There are 54 copies of the book on Amazon from £ 0.99 plus postage.

There seems to be a lot of interest in the Kathleen Dayus books.
Maybe if anyone has a copy of one of her books that they've read and don't want to keep, they could donate it to the auction on July 17th?

I am reading A Hockley Girl by Kathleen Dayus.

It is funny and sad and a really good read. I would recommend anyone to get it.

It brings to mind all the hardships and the happiness of close families during the slum era of old Brum.

If you can get hold of a copy do, you will enjoy it so much.

I had mine bought for me as a prezzie, a most enjoyable one it is to :)

Hi Rowan, all kathleen dayus books are really good and worth the read, i have most of her books, you would enjoy them all i promise you, lindev

While the cats are away (At the 60' do) I've been playing and merged the two 'Dayus' threads.

She really did create some spell binding reading of growing up and living in that area of Birmingham.
My Granddad and his brother who were Cheshire born settled with his sister there in mid 1900. This was because there sister was married to a 'Dugmore' from the area.
While living in and around Camden St, St Marks St and Shakespeare Rd and before marrying my Gran, my Grandad had married in 1912 and they had, had three children. However by 1917 his wife and three children had all died, due to the poor conditions in the area. His brother Rupert had also died in 1918 due to a freak accident while training for service in the first world war, he is buried and remembered on the Monument in Key Hill.
Grandad although living in Upper Thomas St, was working at number 1 Camden St when he was taken ill at work and died in 1935 aged about 45.
So you can see where my interest in the area comes from.

Chris/Pom :angel:

Pom I didn't think anyone else was as crafty as myself. Love your little bit about when the cat's away. NAUGHTY NAUGHTY. Will go to the library on Monday and see if they have any of those books. Jean.

Hello. My wife really enjoyed a Girl from Hockley and she is almost sure that, as her father lived in Nelson Street [almost next door] , Kathleen and her father must have known each other when children. Also in the book, Kathleen, mentions that her son, John, was on the HMS Ganges, as was my moithers youngest brother - he, unfortunately died in the Explosion in the Thames Estuary. :( Small world. Al.

I only found out about Kathleen Dayus after I had written a piece on hop-picking for the main sites section of Birmingham History, under 'Holidays'.

Someone read my story and pointed out that though my experiences were from a different era to that of Kathleen Dayus they were very similar to her memories of hop-picking penned down in the book "Her People" ISBN 0-86068-275-7.

For those that haven't read my story and for those that have, a refresher; https://www.birminghamhistory.co.uk/?article=misc/holidays/main

Graham.

The invaluable Swanshurst School/BARRA website tells us that the Camden Drive incident (it's listed as "Camden Grove" but surely it was "Drive", wasn't it? - I'm getting confused!) occurred on 10th April 1941. Two people are listed as having lost their lives, Mary Ann White aged 48 and the woman who was presumably Kathleen's mother - she is listed as Mary Ann Greenhill aged 74. (Greenhill or Greenaway?) Mary is mentioned in the book as Kathleen's sisiter.

(One reference to all this is on P. 650 of the Omnibus pb edition. There may be others).

Chris
. Chris, If you enter Camden Drive in BARRA the names of 6 more deaths & many more injured are listed on the injuries list. Len.

Last edited:
Back