• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Junction Inn - 123 Wheeler Street

P

phtcmc

Hi - would anyone happen to have a photo of the Junction Inn at 123 Wheeler Street. It appears that one of my ancestors (William Charlton) is listed as the publican there in the 1901 census.
Many thanks - Colin C.

The pub is listed in the 1900 Kellys as being run by Thomas Walker & Co (not that common for a company to be listed, possibly pub was between landlords). 1903 it was William Charlton, but by the 1908 edition he has gone and is not listed in Kellys at any other place
Mike

Hi Mike - Thanks for that information. I knew that the tenancy wasn't for long but this is an area of Brum that I know nothing about and so have no memories of what it must have looked like before being demolished (presumably in the 60's).
Colin

hi mike..i wonder if i could have one of your maps showing where 123 wheeler st was please...the junction inn is not a pub i have come accross for this street and i know for certains i do not have a pic of it...i wonder if you may know the last time it was listed in kellys....

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
thanks terry....do you know what year its listed as dining rooms...this is a strange one to me as it was also the junction inn...

lyn

thanks again terry...so if it was dining rooms in the 40s looks like it ceased to be the junction inn quite early on which may prove difficult to obtain a pic of it...

lyn

Lyn
the junction turned to coffee rooms between 1921 and 1932. There seems to be a problem in thet different years Kellys give different positions for Gt King St withe respect to no 123. The 1921 edition says kong st is between 127 and 129, the 1932 Ed says its betwen 119 and 123. I'll try and sort it out after I've had my lunch
mike

cheers mike..be quite a challenge to obtain a pic of it as the junction i would think but maybe easier to find one when it was dining rooms...catch you later...

lyn

Hi - thanks to everyone for the additional information about the Junction Inn
For clarity, on my 1913 OS map it is shown as being at the junction of Great King Street and Wheeler Street (just above Farm Street) and is marked as P.H. - it must have been an imposing location in its day.
Colin

Yes it definitely shows on the map as being on the corner. the earliest i can find for the pub is in the 1868 directory (when it is numbered no 61, though some directories about then say no 62). I can't find it in the 1862 and certainly it is not there as The Junction.
Mike

Is there 2 Junction Inns?

My husbands family use to run The Junction, 39 Cardigan Street.

Yes it definitely shows on the map as being on the corner. the earliest i can find for the pub is in the 1868 directory (when it is numbered no 61, though some directories about then say no 62). I can't find it in the 1862 and certainly it is not there as The Junction.
Mike
Hi there- I am new to this forum. I think my ancestor Wallace Winkles may have been a publican at 62 Wheeler Street in 1881 also on 1891 census he is at 121 and 123 Wheeler street. I wonder if then this is the same address but numbering has changed. I would love to know the name of his pub and if there were any photos or any other bits of information it would make my day!

Hi Lasulk welcome to the forum.
i have found a few mentions of a Wallace Winkles in The Birmingham Daily Post - may be your ancestor?

8 May 1874 - transfer of license of the Gunbarrel Grinders Arms, New John Street West from Emma Jones to Wallace Winkles
31 March 1887 - for auction - Wheeler Street and Great King Street - tavern and spirit vaults - Junction Inn - now and for the last 10 years past in the occupation of Mr Wallace Winkles as annual tenant.
27 September 1892 - for auction - Junction Inn - corner of Wheeler Street and Great King Street - let on lease to Mr Wallace Winkles for an unexpired term of 16 years at midsummer 1892.

Do you think this may be your Wallace Winkles? (Fabulous name!)

Last edited:
Hi pollypops- Wallace Winkles is such a fabulous name. I am filled with affection for him and so thrilled to have an ancestor with a name to remember! - Thanks very much for all the information you have found so quickly. It does fit with what I know of him. I have tried before to find out name of pubs but have had no luck. You have made my day so many thanks x

Yes you are correct . Wallace Winkle was landlord of the Junction Inn. Between 1882 and 1863 the numbering of this street was changed from continuous (1,2,3...up one side, then down the other) to odd numbers one side, even the other. The matter was made even more complicated as , at that time the street was divided into Wheeler ast, Lozells, and Wheeler st, Hockley, each numbered separately, and in 1883 no 123 Wheeler st Hockley was The Junction , at the corner with Gt King St, whilst No 123 Wheeler st Lozells was The Acorn pub

Wallace Winkles was listed as landlord of The junction in Kellys up till the 1896 edition, but had gone by the 1897 edition. Kellys at this time (& later would refer to up to a year earlier than the publication date.

Lasulk, Very happy to be of help and even happier that it seems to be your Wallace Winkles. Having a name like that definitely makes him easier to find in the papers!
Now that I know it probably is the right one I will find the articles again and post them on here for you.

Last edited:
Mike, I have also found an advert - 11 January 1866 - for gun barrel filers wanted apply C.Willetts, Junction Inn, Wheeler Street
And in April 1866 an advert for the auction of gunmaking equipment - Lathe/vices/bellows and valuable gunmaking tools (it states the tools were recently purchased and as good as new) - at the Workshop at the rear of Junction Inn, Wheeler Street.

pollypops and mikejee, thank you both so much. Having a name like Wallace Winkles must be great and it does make life easier when researching them that''s for sure! Wallace Winkles is the son of John Winkles who lived on Livery Street in 1841, I think he was a hairdresser. He was also maybe, the inspiration for Mr Winkle in Pickwick Papers, probably because Dickens loved his name too! Again many thanks - any more information on either of the Winkles would be gratefully received x

In the 1873 directory (which this early could possibly be a couple of years out of date), Wallace Winkles is listed as a lapidary at 13½ Great Hampton St with his home at 45 Key Hill. there are several other winkles around at the time who were in the jewellery trade (William, a gold cutter; Thomas, a guard and albert chain manufacturer; Winkles & Jones, gold and silversmiths & necklace snaps, earings etc ; John , gold cutter) so a lapidary might be related to them. There are also two publican Winkles, Henry at the Crown & cusion, Aston high St and James Orlando at the Sir Robert Peel, Peel St, so he would already have connections to the licensed trade.
In 1872 Wallace Winkles is also listed as a lapidary with the firm Mullis & Winkles (a name with a ring to it) . There is also listed a Wallace Winkle (no s), glasss cutter at 45 Key Hill. Directories did on occasion miss-spell names and leave off the odd s in names. As the address of the latter is the same as the home address in 1873, one is probably the son.
No Wallace is listed in 1867 or 1868 an din those years 45 key Hill islisted as a shop run by a Darby.
In 1862 Wallace is listed as a jeweller at 185 Wells St

Could find no earlier Wallace Winkles in earlier directories.

Wow - these are very early directories. It looks like you have tracked his career from 1862 onward, plus it is interesting to see connections via work with other Winkles relatives. I think the link into the licensed trade is telling as he would have some insight into it enough to apply for his own license in 1874. I believe the Winkles mentioned are cousins. The Winkles in jewellery trade are his brothers so this makes sense. I am puzzled by Wallace Winkle glass engraver, this could not be his son. He was born in 1868 so would be far too young! - another cousin perhaps. Thanks again for this information x

The 1871 census lists 45 Key Hill as :

Wallace Winkles 24. glass engraver. born birmingham
Alice Winkles, 26, wife, born birmingham
Wallace winkles, 2, son, born birmingham
John winkles, 1, son, born birmingham
Samuel smith, 18, boarder, cork cutter.

So it is a father and son, but , because of other 1872 directory entry there must be another Wallace, unless he was into glass cutting and lapidary. Mullis & Winkles is listed in directory at 104 Great Hampton st, which in the 1871 census has Edwin Wright and his family (eating house keeper), who is also listed in the directory as "eating rooms", together with a zinc plate worker.
in fact the census 1871 lists 5 Wallace Winkles:
The two at Key Hill
Two at 194 wells St, one of them 33, gold swivel maker, wife eliza ,31, both born birmingham with sons Wallace F. , 4 , with florence F, 6, Alexandra F. 8 and Eliza , 10
And one aged 6 , at 16 snape St, son of a gold cutter , William Winkles,

just to add to mikes info there are some photos of wheeler st before demolision on the wheeler street thread..

lyn

Thank you both for replies. Here was me believing my Wallace Winkles was the only one! (Apart from his son of course) It looks like Wallace's brother William also called his son Wallace too. I don't know who the Wallace Winkles the glass engraver is. There probably is a link. Thanks for the interesting information anyway. Also I have looked at Wheeler street thread which is very interesting. I am going to try to locate the Junction Inn on a map so I can visualise where it was located on Wheeler st exactly. If anyone knows that would save some work! I believe it may have been quite a large imposing pub x

hi lasulk i am sure if mike our map expert sees your request for a map showing where the junction pub was he will be able to help you...i do have photos of the acorn..lord byron..rose and crown and the albion in wheeler st but not the junction but if i do come across one i will post it on this thread for you..

lyn

Last edited:
Bless you! Many thanks. A photo would be brilliant if one exists. I have enjoyed seeing other pubs and shops on the Wheeler st thread. The Acorn especially looks to be an interesting pub with an interesting history. I wonder why it was a mortuary? In Ireland there are quite a few pubs linked to undertakers too. I have had to find the ladies going past coffins etc in the dark a couple of times- a bit unnerving!!!! Mike has been very helpful to me so far, if he has a map where Junction Inn is shown that would be brilliant. Everyone is so friendly and knowledgable on this forum it is a pleasure to visit x

Bless you! Many thanks. A photo would be brilliant if one exists. I have enjoyed seeing other pubs and shops on the Wheeler st thread. The Acorn especially looks to be an interesting pub with an interesting history. I wonder why it was a mortuary? In Ireland there are quite a few pubs linked to undertakers too. I have had to find the ladies going past coffins etc in the dark a couple of times- a bit unnerving!!!! Mike has been very helpful to me so far, if he has a map where Junction Inn is shown that would be brilliant. Everyone is so friendly and knowledgable on this forum it is a pleasure to visit x

and we are happy to have you here...must admit i also thought the idea of using part of the acorn as a mortuary a little strange...back in the day i know many pubs were used to hold inquests as well...

lyn

Lasulk
Yes, I was also quite surprised to see there were 5 Wallaces. Below are two maps, one about 1913 showing where the junction was in red, and a larger scale one about 1889 giving very slightly more detail. It was standard practice in the early and mid 19th century for inquests to be held in pubs, and often the pub was required to provide a room to keep the body, which was not very popular. Below is an piece from a book on the subject and a cutting on a possible reason why the practice eventually ceased.

Bodies_of_EvidenceMedicine___the_Politics_of_the_English_Inquest2C_1830-1926_by_Ian_A_Burney.jpg

problems_with_inquests_at_oubs.jpg

map_c_1889__Wheeler_st_showing_the_Junction_pub.jpg

map_c_1913_showing_Junction_pub.jpg

Back