• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Joseph Albert Wells, Butcher and haulier

Shortie

master brummie
The two occupations above don't seem to me to go together, but that is what the 1911 census tells the occupation of Joseph Albert Wells was. In 1911 he was living at 61 Albert Road, Aston. Would someone be able to tell me where the business was run from, and when it ceased to be, please?

Many thanks

Shortie

At that time I would think they could be combined.

Sent from my HTC Desire X using Tapatalk 2

I have just been doing some more digging Bernie - it appears he was a butcher originally and then bought a motor transport business (I don't know if the butchery business continued) - it was in Manchester Street, Aston, according to the telephone directory. Some mention of concrete was there too, so he shifted motors and concrete? Made considerable money, apparently though.

If they needed to transport the animals alive or dead or the leftover unwanted carcasses then I think they would have needed to be a butcher and a haulier.

Shortie
From the directory entries and variations of name, and you had not said otherwise, I would have thought there were more than one person concerned, but maybe differences were for business purposes. Below are entries for 1900-1921. If you would like any earlier entries then let me know. Is the publican the same as the butcher etc?
Wells Joseph, butcher, 82 New Town row
Wells Joseph Albert, cab proprietor, Manchester street
Wells Joseph, butcher, 82 New Town row
Wells Joseph Albert, cab proprietor, Manchester street
Wells Joseph Albert, Green Man P.H. 22 Sand street
1904-1905
Wells Joseph, butcher, 78 New Town row
Wells Joseph Albert, cab proprietor & carting contractor,nManchester street
Wells Joseph Albert, Green,Man P.H. 22 Sand St
Wells Joseph A. butcher, 78 New Town row
Wells Joseph A. haulier, Ormond street
Wells Joseph Albert, haulage contractor, Manchester street
1910 -1913
Wells Joseph A, butcher, 78 New Town row
Wells Joseph Albert, haulage contractor, 31 & 32 Manchester st & 43 Ormond street.
Wells Joseph A, butcher, 78 New Town row
Wells Joseph Albert, haulage contractor, & wine & spirit merchant 31 & 32 Manchester st & 43 Ormond street
Wells Joseph Albert, motor haulage contractor & wine & spirit merchant, 31 & 32 Manchester street & 43 Ormond street

Mike - thank you. This is much more than I had hoped for. He did have an oiringal butchers premises in Witton Lane, No 63 I believe. New Town Row came after and then at the same time he purchased the haulage business. I had no idea about the wine and spirit business at all. His son Percy married a relative of mine and they lived in Sutton Coldfield. Joseph Albert died in 1929 leaving over £111,000 which equates to close on £5m today, Percy died in 1947 leaving almost £1m. I cannot find the death of Percy's wife or their son, but their names are quite common - not really very close to me at all, but it's interesting to see how different parts of the family lived. Some wealthy, some just OK, but some quite poor. All the money was tied up in a trust, Percy's will is very complex, so a complete learning curve.

Thanks again

Shortie

Here are the earlier entries:

1884 No entry
1888 Wills Joseph, butcher, 82 New Town row
(Note error. This was in all lists of directory)
1890-1897 Wells Joseph, butcher, 82 New Town row
1899 Wells Joseph, butcher, 82 New Town row
1899 Wells Joseph Albert, cab proprietor, Manchester street

63 witton lane seems to be outside the area covered by the directoy ie listed in witton, but cannot find joseph (or misprint of him) listed in the witton area for 1880 or 1884

Thanks again Mike. If I remember rightly (and I have wet hair at the moment so can't look it up) Witton Lane was in 1891. Also is it possible that they did not wish to advertise in certain years? I have not gone back very far, but I have given some thought to the fact that Joseph Albert's father may also have been Joseph. I shall check that one out.

Shortie

Back