• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John Marson, gunmaker

J

joneswn

I thank my english cousins for allowing me to join your site. I am new, and couldn't figure out how to post a hello, so here it is. I have a 1853 pattern Enfield Rifle made by John Marson, listed as having a shop on Livery st. in Birmingham. The gun was made in 1861, and imported to the South early in the war. Does anyone have any information about this shop? How many guns he made, etc. Thanks again. William Jones, North Carolina, USA

Hi Jones
Welcome to the Forum,

This website has a little information about John Marson

https://history-sites.com/mb/cw/cwaemb/index.cgi?noframes;read=629

There is also an Enfield Rifle Rescource page which may help you.

www.researchpress.co.uk/firearms/britain/enfield/index.html

If it is information about the actual guns and how or where they were made in Birmingham, then the book you need is called 'The Birmingham Gun Trade' by David Williams and is published by Tempus Publishing ISBN no is 0 75243237 0 and the publishers website is www.tempus-publishing.com

If it is actually information about John Marson you are looking for then there are a lot of rescources like Directories, census etc.

Best Wishes
Louisa

Hello & Welcome, William of North Carolina :)

As you have English cousins & you are among friends on here may
we call you Will or maybe Bill, whichever you prefer is welcomed here :)

Interesting posting , Gunmakers of B,ham part of our proud history,
the skills & craftmanship still admired & valued highly Worlwide.

Bit of info for you,, 1872 a Samuel Marson owned a Gun & Pistol
Manufacturing establishment at 39 & 40 Bread Street.
This street was connected to Livery Street/Colmore Row.
Top end of Livery Street at the rear of Snow Hill Railway Station,
Had to explain positional because Livery Street the longest in B,ham,
(John Marson may have passed on &/or Samuel (son?) inherited business)
Livery Street,,more well known/Marketable than Bread St,,so Business acumen even in those early days,,made sense to "say" Made in Livery St.
Hoping this assists your Quest,, Best regards John Y :cool:

Back