• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

John F Milner Find My Past emmigration look up request

BordesleyExile

master brummie
Could someone look up on Find My Past Emmigration John (Frederick) Milner born 1885 Birmingham? I understand that there was a John Milner born abt 1886 who left in 1922 on a London to Australia sailing, so detail would be greatly appreciated.
Family legend has it that John Milner emmigrated for a while but returned to Birmingham. He was recorded on the 1820 and 1924 electoral registers. I have been unable to find him on Ancestry's incoming sailings despite patient searching, so there is a puzzle.

This is the closest I could find:

Ship: Orsova
Official number: 128278
Captain: A L Owens
Line: Orient
Bound: Australia
Square feet: 12677
Registered Tonnage: 6831
Passengers: 583

Milner, Mr. J., Last address: 23 Mount Pleasant, Comventry (sic) Rd., Small Heath, Birmingham, Class 3rd, Destination Brisbane, Occupation Farm Hand, Age 38 (typed over. may be 36, 37, 38, Permanent residence England, Intended permanent residence Australia

Doug

Thank you so much, Procat. The identification is absolutely right. You have solved for us the family mystery - we had even wondered if "Australia" was a euphenism for prison, so I am delighted to find John Milner really did emigrate for a while.

Back