• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

JAKEMAN Family Website

M

MikeyJ

I have a website created by MyHeritage from my GEDCOM file that can be seen at

Main names are from the Birmingham area in the C20th:
JAKEMAN (originally Alcester then Smethwick);
McDOWALL (from Scotland via Leicester);
FELLOWS (orig. Dudley);
FOX (orig. Kent);
HARDING (orig. Leicester);
SMITH (orig. Chelsea & Kent);
THOMAS (orig. Shropshire).

Would be pleased to hear from anyone who has an interest in these surnames.
Especially keen to get to my JAKEMAN line prior to Job Jakeman's birth c. 1777 at Arrow near Alcester.

Mike

I've opened my site for access without password protection now.
Thanks for drawing my attention to the problem.

Mike:headhit:

Yep, it's free.

I was a member of GenCircles and had uploaded my family tree to their site (amongst others). I was then contacted by My Heritage to say that they had automatically set me up with my own stand alone website.
You need to have your information in GEDCOM format for them to convert it. If you are using one of the many family tree programs that are available for your database it should already be enabled for GEDCOM conversion as one of its features.

N.B. It's a good idea to delete any info. relating to living individuals or that could let some villain know your mother's maiden name and then use it for identity theft.

Mike

Over the last few weeks Chris Sutton a family tree expert has given an guide to tracing ancestors in the Birmingham Mail and posted a photo of his great grandparents Gertrude Jakeman and John Jones, in the 6th May 2008 edition. Is Chris part of your extended family?

If we both go back far enough probably so, but at the moment the answer is negative. I know that his Jakemans were from Norton Lindsay and mine from the Coughton area of Warwickshire, but I'm stuck at 1777 and can'y get any farther back.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Edward JAKEMAN's daughter Elizabeth, both of Beoley, Worcs, married a relative of mine, one James HANDS in Beoley in 1867.

I have a little info on about 20 of this clan, plus a descendant contact.

Mike

Thanks for your interest Mike.
Unfortunately there is no known connection between my Jakeman line and the Worcestershire ones. The children of Job Jakeman born around Coughton went to Nottingham, Liverpool and Smethwick.
Coincidentally I'm currently transcribing the 1861 Census for the King's Norton area and spotted a Jakeman family at a cottage in Beoley: father Edward, wife Ann and six children including a 7 y.o. Elizabeth - hope it's a different girl to James Hands' wife! I've noted several Hands families in the Wythall/Drakes Cross area.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Same family, but different girl. Edward JAKEMAN and Ann SMITH had 9 children. Including an Elizabeth in 1845 and an Eliza in 1854. (Both baptismal dates). Not very Original :D

The Wythall/Drakes Cross HANDS I don't think are mine. :confused: Certainly not after 1777. But then I thought that about the Tardebigge HANDS.

I have HANDS family groups that moved in to Birmingham from both Bromsgrove and Kings Norton. In fact if you are transcribing the 1861 then I think the enumerator was Josiah HANDS. Births and Deaths registrar and postmaster on The Green in Kings Norton.

Mike

My mothers name was Gertrude May Jakeman,I was born in Dudley Rd Hospital,Birmingham and I think Chris Sutton is a relative of mine through Mums sister Edith.Love to here more about Mums side of the family.Our surname is Ward.

Hi Roxy, welcome to the forum.

Gertrude May Jakeman born 1905
on the 1911 census living in Cook Street with her father George Ernest age 39 a Paper Warehouseman born Norton Lindsey
wife Gertude Minnie age 38 (nee Bratt, they married Aston 1899)she was born in Kineton
also George Arthur age 10 and Edith Hilda age 4 months.

In 1901 living in Cuckoo road Nechells with son George age 10 months.

Back