• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Jacy news theatre dale end

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
must say i have not heard of the jacy so if anyone has any memories of it or photos would love to hear from you..

lyn

Lyn

I'm told by Marlene who worked in Dale End from 1955 at the MEB (in the old YMCA building) that she has no recollection of any news theatre in that area.

I remember the one on the far side of New Street Station from about 1945 but it's obviously not the one you are talking about.

Chris

hi chris...this was bought to my attention by new member brian on post 155 on the old house on bridge st thread so hopefully he will spot this and tell us more...could be he classed it as dale end...

lyn

hi chris;
The old jacy thearter ground was and became the Mcdonalds and it was on dale end in our old post and the pics hig jacked was also there
of the old jacy thearter which disapeareard from our site the thearter was jacy news thearter with scrollling signs that was always litt up
and very fetching to see at night time just yards from albert street i went there often ; and when as a child i was taken there by my grand parents
and it was flashing cartoons as as well like mini mouse and mickymouse characters you could see it as you came in by the 39 bus as it stoped across
the rd and turned into bull street along with all but most of the brum busses terminus as they all was lined up there until afew later after henrys was
was demolished and rachams was built as you walked from the jacy thearter turning left out of the door towards albert street was the bee hive
whee nelsons clothes shop bought and set up and he was a one time lord mayor of brum ;
best wishes Astonian;;;;;;;;

I knew the Jacey as the news theatre, it was opposite Henry's old store , just alittle bit up from where Mc donalds is now. My Nan worked there as a cleaner many years ago . It showed news reels and lots of cartoons. Where Mcdonalds is now I think was a Macfisheries and further down Dale End was The M.E.B. offices and a Hedges Chemist.

Lyn

I don't think the News Theatre on the end of Dale End was ever called The Jacey although it was owned at one time by Jacey Cinemas Ltd. However the News Theatre in Station St that was also owned by Jacey Theatre Ltd was known as "The Jacey" among many other names it has had in its life.

Attachments

• City High St-Bull St- Albert St.jpg
    City High St-Bull St- Albert St.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 94
  • City Station St.jpg
    City Station St.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 89
I agree Phil as I only ever knew it as 'The News Theatre'.

Picture from Images of England, Birmingham Cinemas.
A little later than Phil's showing the text display.

Colin

Attachments

• News.JPG
    News.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 96
Thanks Colin that is just how I remember it looking when I used to visit.

Know The Electric Cinema on Station Street was known as The Jacey for sometime it had a bit of a reputation for showing adult films for a while, or so i'm told!

As Colin's Photo shows The News Theatre Dale End was the first cinema in Birmingham to have a moving illuminated display sign outside the cinema.

As Colin's Photo shows The News Theatre Dale End was the first cinema in Birmingham to have a moving illuminated display sign outside the cinema.
I would just stand watching it and my Mom would drag me away - how things have changed eh?

Yes the News Theatre was where shown in the lovely old photos, and the Jacey was in Station Street, I used to take my son there most Saturday afternoons for a few years when he around 5 to 8 years old, he loved the old short films and had a very infectious laugh, people used to turn in their seats to see who was laughing so much.

In remember the News Theatre in Dale End as well. The moving signage was so fascinating and years ahead of it's time for Brum. I used to wait for
the 39 bus in Martineau Street often and watch the changing signs. I went there a few times as well.

Lyn

I don't think the News Theatre on the end of Dale End was ever called The Jacey although it was owned at one time by Jacey Cinemas Ltd. However the News Theatre in Station St that was also owned by Jacey Theatre Ltd was known as "The Jacey" among many other names it has had in its life.

This was one of our cinemas so I believe many of your readers could be interested to know more about my late Grandfather Joseph Cohen. I have only recently added to my website 'The History of Jacey Cinemas' with over 300 images of press cuttings and photographs from the early 1930's onwards. He was also involved in property and other projects, so there is a lot of information about him (not previously available on the Internet). Please do have a look at: -
https://www.jncohen.net/JaceyGroup/JosephCohen.htm

I don't remember this place at all. But it certainly looks inviting in this photo. Assume the people on the steps are the usherettes and commissionaire. Sorry no date, but possibly around 1950s. Viv.

image.jpeg

I was a regular goer to both the Jacey and the News Theatre, mostly the News Theatre as it was nearer my 3x tram stop in Martineau St. I loved cartoons, still do ! Eric

hi harry we would love to see your photo please...thank you

lyn

Last edited:
I certainly remember the News Theatre in Station Street. I used to pester my dad to go and watch the daytime cartoons while mum was off shopping. Well, I was only 7!

Hey Brummies,I remember the News Theatre Dale End and The Tatler by the station very well.As I re all,they both showed the British Movietone news then it was all cartoons.WOW !! Tom and Jerrys and Bugs Bunny etc.for about an hour or so and if you wanted to watch them all again you could do so.An auntie used to take me with her to Brum and while she went shopping she deposited me at the News Theatre or the Tatler.Imagine leaving a little kid like that these days,no don't because you wouldn't ! But then it was just part of the magic of being a young lad.I still love to watch the cartoons as they've become more hilarious and too good for kids!
Except,maybe,bigger kids like me.
Tojo.

Back