• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

J. W. Evans Silver Factory

Watched this on iPlayer. Excellent programme. Interesting that the Evans factory has been restored only to the state it would have been when it closed. So you get a good feel for working conditions, tools used, building environment etc. A nice insight which challenges how museums present the past. Well worth watching the whole programme. Viv.

Great news - J W Evans great niece was in today searching for his grave - It's in WL by the top of the recently uncovered path on the Lodge side of the catacomb wall!

Was at a function earlier this evening where we were able to inform Nick Hill of English Heritage, who manages J W Evans.

They can redirect visitors to the cemetery and we can put him on the tour and direct visitors to them!

PS Sawe Kay Alexander and thanked her for arranging last weeks TV interview with Joan Cummins - She thought it went off well and was pleased to support us!

pics to follow

thats great bri..sort of you scratch my back and i scratch yours..:D

enjoy the book launch tomorrow:)

I really liked this photo the first time round. And it's good to see it again. First time round I'd assumed the whole of the left-hand building was Evans's factory. But several of the windows have net curtains! So I assume those must have been domestic areas and the 'shop' was around the back. I think there's a sign next door above the alleyway directing you to Evans's. From memory, I think there was a photo showing Evans's having expanded not only into the domestic areas, but into next door too. Viv.

viv its been on my hit list for ages now....really must make the effort next year..

lyn

A modern image of the frontage from Time Out magazine.

image.jpeg

And an old image of the frontage - sorry no date.

image.jpeg

Viv.

for ages now ive been saying i will pay a visit to J W EVANS but its just one of things i have not yet done...much try harder next year:D

lyn

And me Lyn. I notice they have a list of prices,: Members, Adults, children,Concessions - a## exactly the same price, which seems a little unusual. why list them if they are all the same price?

that seems strange mike...i wonder if its an error...as i said i must make more effort its finding the time these days:rolleyes:

Back