• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

J.W. EVANS (jewellery quarter)

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all..i have a 1998 copy of a special edition I REMEMBER THE JEWELLERY QUARTER... if any members had rellies working for j.w. evans of 54 albion st there are quite a few pics of the workers ((both men and women) ...dated 1908...i will gladly scan and post if anyone has an interest in them...

lyn

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new member who's hoping to learn from your experiences. Without wishing anyone being snowed under, it would be very good if people did make themselves known. There must be quite a few people out there with memories of daily life at J.W. Evans and I really hope that these can be recorded - not only for posterity, but so it could be run as a factory again in something like the same way. I have heard that the plan is for a trust to take over the management of the buildings - that would have to be by local people. To open the factory for visits or restart making things will cost money and the people who decide go by how much local support there is. Smith & Pepper is a great experience, but I would say the JQ is big enough to have more.

Hello and welcome Flypress I love the area and have a great interest in the cemeteries and the museums in the area. I totally agree there is room for more. I think the area is of great historical interest and visitors come for the Jewellery and to visit these places. Smith and Pepper is wonderful but I am sure more of a similar museum but one actually manufacturing would be great. Please tell us more when you can.

Lyn please put some some photo's on of the workers at J.W. Evans I am sure many would love to see them.

hi flypress and a warm welcome from me too....i cant add to what wendy has already posted...i am in total agreement with her...ok wend i will get the paper out later and post the pics i have...it may just get the thread going and hopefully some ex workers of j.w. evans may read this and post their memories....

lyn

Lyn the photo's are brilliant. Somehow it brings the places to life when you see the workers of times gone by. Thanks for all your hard work scanning and posting. Wend x

i agree wend.....i was pleased that the pics came out so clear seeing as though they came from a 12 year old paper..and the folk in the pics must be someones ancestors..

lyn..

Thank you Lyn! The staff photos are quite well known, but I've not seen that exterior before. It's a seriously interesting picture, very early; the buildings are hardly changed from when just houses. Must go and check about J G Styles. Good wishes. Graham

hi graham...happy to help and if i come accross anymore pics i will post them...

lyn

Back