• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

J.knibb, Soho Pool, Handsworth, (hockley)

Ivor

master brummie
I hope i am posting this request in the correct manner.
I have recently received an old Token, (pictures attached) and i am wondering if anyone can throw any light to who was J. Knibb. I understand, and this may be incorrect that the token could be used for boat hire on Soho Lake which had been created to supply water to Mathew Boulton's manufactory which was near by. Thanks.Front.JPG Reverse Coin.JPG

no info yet on J KNIBB but here are two maps showing soho pool and boultons manufactory so could the soho lake you mention actually be soho pool..map 1 also shows soho park so it could fit in with the token..

lyn

Attachments

• soho pool map.jpg
    soho pool map.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Soho%20Map%20(2).jpg
    Soho%20Map%20(2).jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for the maps Lyn, very good quality images, i am sure that you are correct in saying it is Soho Pool rather than lake as i have discovered a lot of newspaper adverts by J. Knibb who calls it "Soho Pool". He seems to be quite the entrepreneur when it comes to water as you will see from the adverts i will sort and place on this thread.

Thanks for the maps Lyn, very good quality images, i am sure that you are correct in saying it is Soho Pool rather than lake as i have discovered a lot of newspaper adverts by J. Knibb who calls it "Soho Pool". He seems to be quite the entrepreneur when it comes to water as you will see from the adverts i will sort and place on this thread.

thats great ivor..look forward to seeing the snippets..:)

great snippets ivor and janice...ivor what date was the one that says the water will be drawn off because that will date your token..

lyn

A few images. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    92.7 KB · Views: 19
The earliest directory reference I can find to J Knibb is in the 1862 Corporation directory, where he is described as the proprietor of Soho Pool. In the 1867 Post Office directory he is described as John Knibb , pleasure boat builder and beer & wine retailer, Soho Pool. However in the similar 1868 he has disappeared from the Birmingham directory.

Phillipa Ballard's book on the soho Gardens states that the Pool was opened to the public in 1852 and that by the 1860s the Great Pool had been leased to John Knibb, who operated it as an enterprise for the public, with, amongst other things, boating, fishing, ice skating and punt hire. However the Birmingham Gazette in 1857 records an experiment (belwo) on the pool, in which john is listed as the proprietor, so he must have been there from at least 1857. An advert from the Corporation 1868 directory is shown below. however the pool was drained so that the land could be used for building in 1868, and Knibb was paid £30 compensation.

John is on the 1871 census as John Knibb, boatbuilder (53), living in a court in Newhall Hill . I cannot find him on the 1861 census. In 1870 he is advertised as the proprietor of skating at Windley Pool, Sutton Coldfield but there do not seem to be any adverts for him at Sutton after that.

Attachments

• Birm Gazette.25.8.1864.jpg
    Birm Gazette.25.8.1864.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 20
  • Birm J. 11.3.1857.jpg
    Birm J. 11.3.1857.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Birm post,20,9,1858.jpg
    Birm post,20,9,1858.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 18
  • windley pool.Birm D. Gazette 18.2.1870.jpg
    windley pool.Birm D. Gazette 18.2.1870.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 20
  • advert for soho pool 1868.jpg
    advert for soho pool 1868.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 20
what wonderful images and information mike and viv many thanks..so ivor your token pre dates 1868 and to think it was changing hands in the days when the great matthew boulton was in the area...

lyn

Wow Wow and WOW, can i thank everyone Mike, Janice, Lyn and Viv for your fantastic input to this tread. Wonderful .

Last edited:
Back