• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

J. Allday , 9. Warstone Lane

olibobs

Brummie Tour Guide
I am looking for info on a building in Warstone Lane. J.Allday is on the letterbox. Does anyone have any information on the building or the man please?

There is a thread possibly with some info

Last edited:
I have altered the title to Allday and added no of building. Have copied a slightly altered relavant post from that thread to here as below:

Here is all I could find of firm and possible successors:
In the 1849 directory 8 Mott st was
Page Joseph, steel snuffer and cork screw maker, 8, Mott street
No Lawrence & Allday listed or any Allday, who is jeweller.
There is a T. Lawrence & Co, Bordesley , jewellers, listed who disappear after this directory

1852 (from ancestry)
Lawrence & Allday, jewellers . 8, Mott street
1855 (Whites)
Lawrence and Allday, goldsmiths, jewellers, and mfrs of lockets, brooches, pins, signet & ladies' rings, studs, sleeve links, 8 Mott St
In 1858 and 1862,
Lawrence &Allday, goldsmiths and jewellers, 14, Mott st
Lawrence & Allday, jewellers, 14, Mott st
Also; Allday. John (see Lawrence & Allday)
1872-1878
Allday John, jeweller, 8 Warstone lane
1883-1921
Allday John & Sons, jewellers, 8 & 9 Warstone lane
1932 No mention of John Allday

Last edited:
The directories do not seem to mention nos 8 or 9 (I believe the building is actually 8 & 9, but now described just as no 9) leaving me to beleive that it was constructed fro John Allday in the period shortly before 1872

Thank you for all your replies. I will continue with trying to find out more about this beautiful building.

Hi all. I'm researching the Birmingham Alldays and thought I'd add a belated contribution.

8-9 Warstone Lane was built c.1865. It's Grade II listed and you can find Historic England's description of the building here:

The owner was jeweller John Allday of The Oaks, Handsworth (~1828-1892).
John is living at 8 Mott Street in the 1851 census, and appears to be involved with the firm Lawrence and Allday, before setting up on his own at 8-9 Warstone Lane.

The partnership of Lawrence and Allday was dissolved by Henry Allday and Philip Henry Lawrence in 1867, with Henry continuing the business on his own [Birmingham Daily Gazette, 17/07/1867]. I think this Henry is John's brother, silversmith and chain maker Henry Allday of Livingstone Road, Handsworth (1833-1891). Henry's son Harry continued the chain making business - either Henry or Harry might be the "H Allday" of 158 Warstone Lane.

John and Henry are sons of William Allday of 32 1/2 Constitution Hill. According to Grace's guide, William's bellows-making company evolved into the Alldays and Onions automobile manufacturing company, and was one of Britain's longest-lived family-owned businesses:

John Allday is buried at Key Hill cemetery with his wife Sarah.

Sources:
Other than those explicitly linked, all the above is derived from various Ancestry records, articles in the British Newspaper Archive, and the council's Birmingham Burial Records site.

Hope that's of interest.
Ed

Last edited:
Back