• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Items that havent faded away and still in use

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of the products don't fade away, they just get marketed under different brand names in the UK. Here in Greece we still have Omo, Oxydol, Kolynos and Theramed (liquid toothpaste which recently disappeared from the shelves in the UK and re-emerged as Colgate). Other names have connotations that wouldn't go down well with certain sections of the UK population, e.g. the aforementioned Omo. Lidl used to market a biscuit product in Greece called Teddy's Hit, which used to appeal to our schoolboy humour, but it's recently been changed to Teddy's Snack - not half as much fun!

Maurice :friendly_wink:

Maurice, saw a lot of those when we used to go to Zante, the omo washed stains out of everything!!
And mom still has Pears soap and Cussons Imperial Leather.
Not so good, Brut is having a comeback, it was THE aftershave when I started my training, favoured by the dirty old men strung up on traction for weeks on end (though they were probably only in their 30'S lol)and their sport was grabbing the nurses - still hate the smell of it now, much preferred Blue Stratos and Jovan, choice of the young men lol
Sue

Sue,

This is way off topic, but you tempted me!:monkey:

Some 60 years ago at the tender age of 15 (equivalent to today's age 9), I was admitted to Selly Oak Hospital with appendicitis and was kept in for the then usual period of two weeks. Men's Surgical had moved to a temporary ward whilst the normal ward was being refurbished. Two days after my op, we moved back into the newly decorated ward with nice new curtains and then the antics began, many more at night, but as this is a family site, I won't recount those! :tongue:

Within two hours there was orange squash all up the curtains and, no kidding, the ward was in a right state! Happy days!

To bring it back on topic, we also have Tide (the washing powder) and I shall have to make a list of all these old brands next time we go shopping. As for Brut, it owed its product life to Henry Cooper, and though I didn't like it, it was infinitely better than that awful Hai Karate!

Maurice :friendly_wink:

Marmite, Bovril, Oxo, Bisto, Worcester Sauce, Colmans Mustard to name but a few. But we will NOT have HP Sauce any more, since the Aston Cross factory was maliciously closed down. I've got an unopened bottle of Brut I was given about 40 years ago, and it'll stay unopened....

Big Gee

I am always surprised to see this breakfast cereal on the shelves in some shops:

force.jpg

Hi yes there was a bottle of plj lemon lime juice for slimmers
abest wishes astoniannd a roll of best butter called meadow butter the poor mans butter have distapeared along with harvestine bread best wishes astonian

Didn,t realise you could still get a smelling bottle . Mom used to swear by them to clear your head. They used to make your eyes water just taking the top off.

had to laff at your post maurice.....i still buy bottles of tizer pop...used to get it a penny a glass from the little shop next to the villa cross picture house...the shop is still standing...happy days

lyn

yes mike i agree..there is still a hint of the old taste but its not quite the same...

There's Daz as well and Rolos and we used to get a Wagon Wheel in our lunchbox when we were at school if we were lucky. Pikelets/crumpets I still indulge in now and again, too.

Hey Lyn, I also used to buy Tizer for a 1d a glass in Villa Road, but further up at the top by Soho Road and the tram terminus. It was a real treat!

Judy

brillo pads. i use them to clean stainless steel.there was a copy a round one but cant remember the name of them.
now i have found a shop that sells carbolic soap.

good days ehh judy...i loved going to the villa cross..i went shopping yesterday and nearly treated myself to a big bag of love hearts lol

Hi Carolina. I used to buy Tizer by the glass from Mrs Payne's sweet shop at the top of Villa Road when I was young, but when I was treated to fizzy pop in a big bottle occasionally it was always the flip top (if by that you mean with the wire that came over to secure it like a small kilner jar).

Oh Lyn, those love hearts - I used to love those. Haven't had any for many years now, and of course the Villa Cross was my local cinema!

Judy

judy do you remember the parma violets..you can still get those as well...

I do Lyn. And I remember going with my Mom to buy sweets with coupons from the ration book! I was allowed them usually as a bribe to go to Sunday School.

judy my bribe not to pull a face at sunday school was an ice cream after lol..

I have just bought a tin of 'Eucryl' smokers tooth powder, it's been around for as long as I can remember.

It works far better than any of the modern scientifically formulated whitening tooth pastes you can buy today.

You can still buy Camp Coffee in the same old bottle in Canada. At least up till a couple or three years ago...have not been to the same store since I last saw it.

Frothy,
I saw some brycreem in Wilkos last week, first time for years,But it was a brownish colour,I think it was a jel.
Didn't buy any though,bald as a coot now,a bit of Mr Sheen and buffed up with an old sock is good enough.:rolleyes:

Frothy,
I saw some brycreem in Wilkos last week, first time for years,But it was a brownish colour,I think it was a jel.
Didn't buy any though,bald as a coot now,a bit of Mr Sheen and buffed up with an old sock is good enough.:rolleyes:

You can still get the white stuff in a tub.
I haven't got to the buffing bit yet, just hoping to hang on to what I've got. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back