• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

isle of man TT

img211.jpg

img212.jpg

think thats the lot..there were loads more in the album that i didnt scan...

lyn

img192.jpg

bringing to the top for dave..dave i have reposted just a few of some of the photos out of erics album they start on post 96

all the best

lyn

Last edited:
great photos lyn
see where your son get his love of bikes from
josie

both sons do josie lol...i cant believe that daves dad worked for eric hardy.....this forum never ceases to amaze me

lyn

Last edited:
bringing to the top for dave..dave i have reposted just a few of some of the photos out of erics album they start on post 96

all the best

lyn

I didn't see my dad in those pix, but they are still good to look at. My dad was Joe Astley...a whiz with engines of any kind. Eric took us to Silverstone. he was riding a 50cc bike at the time, I think it was a Ducati and I got to ride it around the pit area. It really is amazing the connection that many of us have on this forum, Eric being your father in law, and my dad working for him.

Dave A

I didn't see my dad in those pix, but they are still good to look at. My dad was Joe Astley...a whiz with engines of any kind. Eric took us to Silverstone. he was riding a 50cc bike at the time, I think it was a Ducati and I got to ride it around the pit area. It really is amazing the connection that many of us have on this forum, Eric being your father in law, and my dad working for him.

Dave A

hi dave at least you have some pics of the shop now...i agree its amazing how this forum has connected lots of members

there are many more photos but they are now in the keeping of my bro in law..if you would like i could ask for them back and i could post a few more...maybe your dad is on one or two of them

lyn

Last edited:
Oh this brings back so many 1960’s memories, of having to get up really early to eat breakfast and then off to find a good spot to wait for the races to start or walking around the paddock before and after racing, the sounds of the engines, I can smell the Castrol R now. Riding up into the mountains with the mist swirling as though we were the only people up there, Knickerbocker glories on the beach, fish and chips ooooh I could go on.

Good times, but I remember as a pillion on my boyfriend’s bike riding that ramp to get onto the ferry was the absolute worst for me. The one year it was raining, high tide, the sea was really rough and the wooden plank all wet and slippery and hubby (well he is now) just went full throttle up it, I swear I thought we were going to fall into the sea between the ferry and the wharf and that would be the end of us with all the paraphernalia we had on. It wouldn’t be allowed now H & S etc, well I hope it wouldn’t!

hi dave at least you have some pics of the shop now...i agree its amazing how this forum has connected lots of members

there are many more photos but they are now in the keeping of my bro in law..if you would like i could ask for them back and i could post a few more...maybe your dad is on one or two of them

lyn

If you would be so kind...

Dave A

Oh this brings back so many 1960’s memories, of having to get up really early to eat breakfast and then off to find a good spot to wait for the races to start or walking around the paddock before and after racing, the sounds of the engines, I can smell the Castrol R now. Riding up into the mountains with the mist swirling as though we were the only people up there, Knickerbocker glories on the beach, fish and chips ooooh I could go on.

Good times, but I remember as a pillion on my boyfriend’s bike riding that ramp to get onto the ferry was the absolute worst for me. The one year it was raining, high tide, the sea was really rough and the wooden plank all wet and slippery and hubby (well he is now) just went full throttle up it, I swear I thought we were going to fall into the sea between the ferry and the wharf and that would be the end of us with all the paraphernalia we had on. It wouldn’t be allowed now H & S etc, well I hope it wouldn’t!

The culture of motor bikes is and was so prevalent in the UK. I really notice that when living in North America, the motor cycle culture is totally different. Although I did give up motor bikes in 1961 in favour of my mini, I still hung on to my English style motor cycle culture. Harley Davidson's and related hardware, does nothing for me. I still watch Moto GP & World Superbike whenever it's available.

Dave A

I'm probably preaching to the converted - but - The bike with the Chrome Tank and leading link forks is a DOT made in Manchester (and still going although in another form), and the other is a DMW made in Dudley (Sedgeley). Both are using the Villiers 2T engine on 'open' pipes - so the noise would have been ear shattering. Not really see as 'racing' engines, these prepredicted the rise of 2Stroke twins on the Race Circuits in the late 60's and then on into the present day, although pushed through by the DKW & JAWA Factory's, (in Eastern Europe), research & development, which was taken over by the Japanese, mainly YAMAHA. Research by Dr Stefan Bauer and Dr Jo Erlich produced Silencing Technology that showed how 'bouncing' the exhaust shockwaves and compressing their longitudinal travel axis, added power to 2Stroke engines. This lead to the invention of the 'Expansion Chamber' exhaust now used on performance 2Stroke engines. In this form these machines could have reached 100mph with relative ease.
Its apocryphal now, but when DKW sent their supercharged 3 cylinder 2Stroke racers to the Isle of Man TT one year, they were so loud that they were heard in Liverpool !

Does anyone remember a Len Newcombe raced at the T T in the 60-70s had a bad accident and lost his Left arm

I own Eric's 1948 Manx, picture attached, how come i cant see the pictures that have been posted on this thread..... would love to see them

Attachments

• 56945049_10156540047108992_6150708212313096192_n.jpg
    56945049_10156540047108992_6150708212313096192_n.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 13
The first photos on the thread were posted by Astoness, and were lost after a hacking attempt. Astoness is ill at the moment, but I am sure that when she is able she will repost for you

Back