• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Inner City Nature Park

gardengerald

master brummie
Anyone remember a small inner city nature park being built near Ansells Brewery. It was for School children to visit to see lots of plants and how different plants could be. The other aspect was bug hunting. I think it was built in the 70s.
Many thanks...Gerald
Garden Gerald.

Hello Sidwho
Thank you for the information, I am sure you are right. I designed and oversaw the construction of the mini park. All the work was carried out by offenders. At the same time I was doing a similar job on the Wheels project in Landor Street and again in the main it was constructed by offenders. Adderley Park needed a bit of tidying up when the Sons of Rest closed down and I did the planning for that. Work carried out again by offenders. I felt rather sad about losing the Sons of Rest. The building had all the history of the Saltley Branch and I did look at a lot of it and I wish I had it today, how they helped each other and when they collected for Christmas parties and Outings. Lots of interest in all these projects for someone born in Cathcart Street and educated at Loxon Street School.
I then moved on to Aesthetic and Remedial plantings schemes trying to stop the nuisance from Motorways and reclaiming industrial sites like Gas Works and Coal Mines. In Wales we now have some good Apple Orchards on Slag Heaps.
Many thanks for your help, my lovely wife tells me that my bag of marbles has now got a small hole. Whatever does she mean but I do admit the memory is not what it was.
Take care and best wishes...Gerald.
Garden Gerald.

Back