• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Information relating to Birmingham Assizes records.

DAJ

knowlegable brummie
I was wondering if anyone could help with information relating to court cases that are now 75 years old and possibly open to view. Do the details of a case hold information such as the address of the accused? A possible relative of mine was convicted in 1943, but without the address, it is not possible to prove that the person is a relative, it could be someone else with the same name. If an address isn't held, searching the National Archives will be a waste of time.

Thanks in anticipation.

DAJ,

A quick look at Birmingham Assizes with Google would suggest nothing as recent as 1943, if they have survived, has been released to the public domain. Even what has been released so far has gaps and only goes to 1913. See here:-
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=5329 and does NOT appear to include a home address field.
An email to Birmingham Archives at the Library of Birmingham is likely to give you more information about what they hold and when it is likely to be released. [email protected]

Maurice

Thanks very much. I'm a little surprised as I put my relative's name in a National Archive search three years ago. The name was recognised, but I was informed that any information would not be released as 75 years had not yet elapsed.

Thanks again.

There is a possibility that it may appear in the Press, but without a name and date it is impossible to check.

It was a newspaper article that alerted me to the possibility that the accused was my relative, but to get absolute confirmation I need the address. All other facts: age, middle name, are correct, but I have to eliminate the possibility of someone else with the same name. There are no relatives alive who can help. Thanks.

So you have a name from the article but no address. If he was over 32 years old he may appear on the 1911 census?

National Archives includes the attached with regard to addresses:

Attachments

• 1546293361194.png
    1546293361194.png
    52.3 KB · Views: 12
Back