• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Information On Vehicle From Smethwick

neil f

Hi everybody, I have recently purchased a 1957 lambretta ld150 that was first registered in smethwick when it was new. The registration is 353EHA. I'm having trouble getting the bike registered on dvla without any documentation. I'm trying to find out any info on the scooter. Thank you, Neil

Hi everybody, I have recently purchased a 1957 lambretta ld150 that was first registered in smethwick when it was new. The registration is 353EHA. I'm having trouble getting the bike registered on dvla without any documentation. I'm trying to find out any info on the scooter. Thank you, Neil
Go to the Lambretta owners club. They may be able to issue a dating certificate. Send the certificate to the DVLA and they will issue either the original registration number or a replacement. It can be a long process.

Thanks Bob, I've been in touch with the owners club and various archives but am hoping to find some proof to link the original reg to the bike as I really would like the bike to retain its original id

Should you be lucky enogh to get it (re-)registered, then be aware it will never be transferable. My son has had this battle with Ford Pop 107E.

Thanks Bob, I've been in touch with the owners club and various archives but am hoping to find some proof to link the original reg to the bike as I really would like the bike to retain its original id
The only proof you will get, linking the reg to the bike is from the relevant owners clubs, the Vintage motorcycle club or the London transport museum. The registration may have been re-used or sold by the DVLA. If you have a frame, engine and registration number, then that's as much as you need for a new registration.

Hello Neil. I bought a brand new James motorcycle with the registration number 336 EHA from Motor Sales in Smethwick. I am trying to find out what year it would have been? I notice that your Lambretta is a 1957 model. Any idea what month in 1957? 336 and 353 are very close to one another - probably bought during the same weekend but I guess the Lambretta came from Copes on Hagley Road.

Emlyn

Hi Emlyn, sorry for the late reply. I think my ld did come from copes but I have no idea of the month it was registered as I don't have the log book hope u get yours sorted, are u any closer? Best regards, Neil

Thanks for the reply Neil. I chased a few likely sources of information but without any success. I have come to the conclusion that the bike has been scrapped and the Smethwick record for it destroyed. A friend has just had a similar result with a 1960 Norton that he bought in Manchester in the 1960's. It had a Glasgow Reg but the post 1947 Glasgow records have been shredded.

Will keep in touch if something good should happen.

Em

Thanks for trying em. The bike when it was found had made its way to stoke on trent. I've been in touch with the archives there also but to no avail. I've placed a few ads on stoke on Trent and Birmingham facebook groups on the off chance that someone recognises the registration. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Thanks again em, kindest regards. Neil

Back