• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Information needed about Raynal bicycles

quebecois59

Hey there!
I'm totally new to this forum. I just bought a "Raynal" vintage bicycle made in Birmingham (printed on front and rear tags) in 1961, according to the digits on the 3-speed rear hub. I sent several questions on two different vintage bikes forums but it seems very hard to get any information about this particular make. The only thing I learned was that Raleigh probably bought Raynal in 1962 or so.

What I'd like to know is when did Raynal started to make biles, when did they stop, how many bikes did they use to make a year and how many specifically in 1961, and how many different models did they use to make?

I could send a few pictures if it could help. Any information will be appreciated.

Francois

Waterloo, Quebec, Canada

Will this info help?
Raynal purchased the rights to build Dunelt Cycles in 1937, buying into an established brand name, and ready access to its network of retailers.
1938 advertising showed the Dunelt Cycle Co now listed at Raynal’s factory address at Woodburn Road, Handsworth, Birmingham, 21.
Raynal was bought out by Tube Investments in 1950.
TI acquired Raynal in order to secure the Dunelt Cycles brand,
and in 1951 the business listed its office address as Dunelt Cycle Co Ltd, Cornwall Road, Smethwick, Birmingham.
This address was close the old Raynal cycle works, it is possible that manufacturing had not moved at all.
In February 1959 Dunelt Cycle Co Ltd had their registered office at Rabone Lane, Smethwick, Birmingham 40.
This address was on the other side of the old Raynal factory block, which was renamed ‘Attercliffe Works’ in some reflection back to Dunford & Elliott’s history from that area of Sheffield.
Dunelt branded cycles continued to be sold up to the last years of the 1960s, headstock badges on these later machines state that they were built in Nottingham.
The brand had been transferred to Raleigh.
It's hard to draw a line exactly when Raynal ceased making autocycles, their obsolete machine just seemed to gradually fade away.
They were clearly listing their autocycle up to the end of the sales season in late 1950, though other references suggest that old stock was still being sold up to 1953.
At conclusion of manufacturing, frame numeration indicates around 8,000 autocycles having been built.
The Raynal factory would appear to have been disposed of sometime during the decade.
https://www.icenicam.ukfsn.org/articles1/art0031.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunelt_Motorcycles

Thank you for these informations.

I'd be curious to know how many bicycles with "Raynal" front and rear badges got out of this shop before the production was transferred to Nottingham.

Hey there!
I'm totally new to this forum. I just bought a "Raynal" vintage bicycle made in Birmingham (printed on front and rear tags) in 1961, according to the digits on the 3-speed rear hub. I sent several questions on two different vintage bikes forums but it seems very hard to get any information about this particular make. The only thing I learned was that Raleigh probably bought Raynal in 1962 or so.

What I'd like to know is when did Raynal started to make biles, when did they stop, how many bikes did they use to make a year and how many specifically in 1961, and how many different models did they use to make?

I could send a few pictures if it could help. Any information will be appreciated.

Francois

Waterloo, Quebec, Canada
Hello I live in the states and I have just recently purchased a raynal bicycle. It does have the raynal badge on the front over the bicycle. I am also having a hard time finding information about these bikes.

Back