• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Icknield Street Alert!

I’ve searched and searched for the Icknield Street thread referenced in post #408 but can’t find it and the link brings up an error message. So I shall post this on here. If a mod wishes to move it please do so.

Not a very clear image but I wondered whether this would have been a pub or another business ? I think somewhere in the modern day Streetview is where it would have stood. Viv

View attachment 172040
Source: British Newspaper Archive
View attachment 172041
Viv you have to remember Icknield st was 1 lane wide each way - the bit of road on the right of the pic. Before it was widened - this half of the dual carriageway was the 10 buildings shown on the map below from the church to the corner. You would be standing in some ones back yard back in the early-mid 1960's if you stood there!

What is the address. Is it carver st, Warstone lane or Icknield st? It looks from early maps as if it might not have always been part of the mint. Could it be the one marked Brookfield works on the c 1890 map below ?

map_c_1890_around_carver_st_icknield_st_junc.jpg
Hi I am trying to find pictures and maps of carver street birmingham and also new spring street, by Dudley Road Hospital back in the 1960's

Grateful if you could let us know who should be credited and we'll be happy to add the details to the post. Thank you.

The photos were taken by Sidney Fowkes and were shared by his daughter, Sheree Fowkes, on other groups. Sheree has added that her father took the photos on all posts, and asks that due creditation is given. By the way, Sheree asks where did "Astoness" copy them from?

The photos were taken by Sidney Fowkes and were shared by his daughter, Sheree Fowkes, on other groups. Sheree has added that her father took the photos on all posts, and asks that due creditation is given. By the way, Sheree asks where did "Astoness" copy them from?
hi whittington someone sent them to me from a facebook page as i am not on facebook thought they maybe of interest which they are...they are great photos and very much part of birminghams history..could you please thank sheree for sharing her dads photos and i will now go and credit him...

thank you

lyn

Back