• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree

rowan

Born a Brummie
I have just finshed reading "I will plant you a lilac tree" by Laura Hillman.

It is a book that should be and must be read by everyone and be in all schools for future generations to read.

It is a very revealing book of one childs (she was only 16 at the time) terrifing account of the concentration camps.

She survived to tell the tale of her own journey through the camps and how she got on to get on "Oskar Schindlers List"

It is a story of hope and love during one of history's most brutal times.

It is so engrossing I couldn't put it down..............I was reading it way into the night.

It makes you cry and it makes you very, very grateful for the meals you have had today and the clothes you have put on your back and the simply act of washing yourself..............

Be prepared to be really moved.

Rowan that sounds a lovely read. I will put it on my list of books to read and will pass it onto my two daughter in laws as they read a lot in their spare time. Thanks. Jean.

Rowan, we must have been reading this at the same tme!
I finished it this afternoon and was very moved by it, it really makes you grateful for what we have now.
Sue

Jean............ yes you really must read it and your daughters in law but be prepared to be deeply moved by it.

Sue, I am so glad that you too were moved by Laura's story.........we must be on the same wave length as far as books are concerned.

I found this book in the little Post Office we use, they have a free book box where you can take and bring books (a fantastic idea as it brings people into the shop), the book was brand new and I was drawn to it, I am so glad I was.

Rowan I will and have already e.mailed my daughters in law and it is on their list too. They have kindles so am not sure how they go about it but I will go to the library. I thought I had spelled daughters in law wrong. I am a dope. Jean.

Hi Jean
I see that they have ( I Will Plant You a Lilac Tree) on kindle for £3-99p on amazon and is now available for download now.

Regards Stars

No problem Jean. I went online and reserved a copy and they e-mail me when it is in.
usually takes a couple of days.

Stars

Went on line Sunday after reading here about this book had a email message from our library Monday so I have hust been to pick up the book so I am looking forward to reading it.

Thanks for recommending a good read, I like it when people suggest a good book. I have today bought it on E-Bay for 99p plus £1.28 postage - bargain, and all my read books are passed on to the Heart Foundation Shop, so a good deal all round.

Just to say I loved the book how any one got through all that I do not know I don't think I would have survived.

Back