• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hunt marriage request

D

Darthdc

Desperately seeking a marriage between a Charles Hunt and a Harriett Taylor. Have looked on GRO to no avail. Details on 1901 and 1911 census's are somewhat contradictory, as far as birthplaces are concerned.

In 1901, they are listed as follows (with children):-

Chas Hunt age 36 born in Birmingham
Harriet Hunt age 40 born in Worcester
Alice Hunt age 4 born in Worcester
Ellen Hunt age 3 born in Worcester
Rose (Harriet) Hunt age 7 months born in Birmingham

Living at House 4 Court 27 Irving Street, Birmingham

I have birth certificates for all 3 children and the birth places are correct: Alice was born Dec 1896, Ellen was born Feb 1898 and Rose was born Sept 1900 (she died Oct 1901)

1n 1911 they are as follows:

Charles Hunt age 46 born in DROITWICH
Harriet Hunt age 49 born in DUDLEY
Alice Hunt age 14 born in Worcester
Ellen Hunt age 13 born in Worcester
Harry Hunt age 4 born in Birmingham

Living at 4 Back 55 Weaman St, Birmingham

Harry Hunt was actually called William Henry and was born in Price St in June 1906.

All I know about my gt grandparents (Ellen was my paternal grandmother) is their deaths. Harriett died in November 1919 aged 58. Charles died in Jan 1942 aged 77. Harriett spelled her name with two T's at the end (her complete signature appears on Alice's birth certificate, all subsequent signatures are H Hunt) though it was often spelt with just the one. Charles Hunt was a bricky by trade but is listed as a caretaker on the 1911. My oldest uncle claims he was caretaker at the school in Bath Street.

The 1911 claims that they had completed 17 years of marriage which therefore suggests that they wed around 1893/94 and presumably in the West Midlands area. There is no one alive that remembers them so I'm stuck there. I've recently got printouts for the GRO marriages and nothing tallys up. I just wonder if they never married at all. Harriett is listed as being "formerly Taylor" on all birth certificates.

Re: Hunts marriage request

just to say i have tried darth but have not found the marriage :(

The only solutions are:-

1. They never married
2. Harriett may have married before and therefore would not show up as a Taylor. This would be on the birth certificates of their children too if so

I also cannot find marriage, but I did come across a birth on LDS site for a Charles Hunt christened 24 April 1864 St. Peter, Droitwich, Worcester, England Father: Thomas Mother: Maryanne

That sounds about right. A cousin on William Hunt's side said that Charles was born in the April of 1865, but taking into account his death in 1942 aged 77, the year of 1864 is more appropriate. The question remains about Harriett, was she born a Taylor or became one through marriage. I just know both are interred at Witton in individual common graves.

Have just written a letter to Worcester Register Office explaining the problem. If Harriett had married previously, I won't have a clue which name to look under. I will write back when I get an answer. It's hard to believe that this side of the family has been the more sucessful - I can't get anywhere on my grandfather's side.

Got a phone reply this morning and they cannot help. Unless I can narrow down the search to a particular town, it would take too long to search every parish in the county. I'm going to try and look up Charles Hunt using the baptism on the earlier thread. Maybe the 1871/81/91 censuses can be of some help.

Did look on 1871/81 and 91 censuses. Found the family from that Baptism, Charles being the third of 4. Thomas Snr (there was a son called Thomas too) died before 1881. Mother disappears after 1881 and Charles appears to be living with his older brother Thomas as a boarder in 1891. All the while living in St Peters, Droitwich. No sign of a Harriett though. Thinking of popping down to Worcester again. Have written to a cousin on the only other remaining branch of the Hunt line. I hope he gets back.

Have been to Worcester again, but not much luck. Found Charles Hunt living there between 1896 and 1898 on the voting lists. Safe to say that he (and family) upped sticks shortly after my gran was born. No sign of a marriage though - thinking of looking at the only possible matches for Charles Hunt in the 1893/94 period and they all took place in West Brom.
On the Droitwich side, found another Hunt - Joseph Hunt baptised in 1870, same church - father Thomas also buried there. Have found them on censuses 1870-1890. All I need is Charles Hunt's marriage, then I could prove if these Hunts from Droitwich are ancestors of mine.
Did write to that cousin who lives near Kingswinford - haven't had any reply whatsoever and its been two weeks at least. Seems a visit is in need - haven't done a thing to them, but they seem to have dropped us like a ton of bricks.

I was born as Miss Hunt, so was reading your thread.

The house I was born in, was in Hay Mills, and if you look over the top of Hay Mills Police Station, (now the Bill and Bull Public House) you have the three pears of Worcestershire, the county then changed to Warwickshire and then became West Midlands. So lots of areas have changed names and/or counties.

My grandfather moved from Suffolk to Birmingham to work on the railways, and my grandmother's family moved to Birmingham from Meriden, so it is possible that families have moved around.

Just to confuse the issue for my descendants, I was born in Birmingham, moved to Devon for a few years, now live in Cheshire, gave birth at the local hospital in Lancashire where I worked for a while, my hubby works in Derbyshire and we won a holiday, so we married in Crowborough !!

Back