• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

hudson photography shops

diane hodges

master brummie
1901 and 1911 census show a william h hudson b1863 as a photographer and employer could this be the hudson photographer shop in birmngham any help out there ,he was my husbands g/grandfather di

not sure if it is the same hudsons, all i know is william h hudson was a photograher and so was his father who was also a william b1840 and livied in birmingham. william h showes inthe1891, 1901, and 1911 census as photorapher di

Could some very kind person tell me the dates when the various incarnations of the above companies were at which addresses? I have various photos from those studios I'm desperate to date, they are approximately from the 1890s and 1900s.
I have Hudson & Co (Birmingham, Walsall, Dudley and Wolverhampton)
Sunderland and Hudson (same towns - Great Western Arcade, Birmingham)
Sunderland & Hudson (same address)
Thank you in advance.

Hi Jackie - welcome - I see you joined a while ago but that was your first post - first of many I hope :)

I couldn't get the above link to work either but have managed to find the elusive posts 8 & 12 and have copied them here for you - both made by our very knowledgable forum member mikejee in answer to a question about a photograph by Sunderland & Hudson:

James Sunderland was a "photographic artist and fine art depository " at 67 bull St in 1874. By 1880 he had moved to 10, 50,51 Great Western Arcade, and was still there in 1884 (then also at 42 Booth st, handsworth). Sometime between then and 1888 it became Sunderland & Hudson, and they were that up to 1892. By 1895 they had disappeared. So picture would be between 1885 and 1894. If someone could toe down the wolves and dudley connection it might make it tighter. I have no directories for the pewriod from Staffs.
Mike

Doesn't help the search for the date, but

gives a little information on sutherland & hudson, and shows that when Sutherland & Hudson disappeared it became Hudson & Co. this is confirmed by looking in the 1895 directory .

Mike

Sorry for some strange reason I can't get that link to work on this post but the website does exist

Link does not appear to work 2021

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all I'm a little green here as only joined today and wanted to share my experience of The Hudson Studios which were in Great Western Arcade Birmingham. My Mother had numerous pics of me taken there. One of which was entered into a competition in 1954 - it reached the finals ( out of 10,000 entries) and I have the certificate stating the entry is retained in National collection representing British Childhood. I've been trying all day to post !

Back