• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hucksters REPLY TO mariew

R

Rod

A little off topic but...  Wasn't a Huckster someone who sold all manner of things from say a street corner shop, or off the street maybe, might you be using the terms in the wrong context. I dont want to seem pedantic, but it might help mariew, it might be that the business was a Hucksters & Grocers rather than it being named so? Hope you understand my meaning?  O0

Re: Birmingham Workhouse?

Yes I think you are right, I have only been doing the family tree for 3 and a half years and there is so much I have got to learn.

this cutting was from Kelly's 1915
there was no National Health Service at the time you are referring to so they would have gone to the workhouse infirmary for treatment

How happy you have made me John, I knew I could rely on you to give me the answer yet again. Thank you.

I forgot to ask you john is there anywhere I can look to find a photo of this shop as you seem to know the right places to look, I am not that clever on the computor I have to keep asking my daughter for help.

this is from Kelly's 1908 so he bought the shop between 1903 and 1907 as there was no shop in 1903, as for a photograph of the shop you would have to be very lucky to find a photograph. a hucksters shop would have been most probably a converted house usually the front room with the living quarters in the back
second cutting Kelly's 1903

Back