• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HP Sauce Factory

My dad, Donald Draper worked at HP as a lorry driver and union man. (Does any one remember him?) He would drive long distance - thumbing a lift home if he could. Staying away for several days if he couldn't. We had the Cafe at 260 Park Lane, (grocery shop before that).When he was at home, he would be working in the shop.Smells? Lovely. Vinegar, hops and town gas!! I worked at the HP during the school holidays - either in the office or the canteens. Long, hot days.Boring overalls! My own (small) wage packet at the end of the week.Happy days.
Hi Watton im dave my wife Pam worked at HP and knew your dad ,she worked in the drivers littel tea bar ,she was also a shop steward ,at the time she lived in great barr ,her then partener was also a driver for HP he was called Ron ,she has many fond memorys of HP ,and of your dads cafe .and has photos of the childrens christmas partys at HP ,she to ask if your dad is still alive .Dave & Pam

Re: HP Sauce

Watton, Just found a photo of some of the HP drivers, and your dad is presenting a silver salver to Albert Eggison, I think it was for his retirement . I'm the one on the left of the blonde lady without the hat but a lot of hair.
Hi my name is dave my wife worked at HP in the drivers tea bar and she remembers Albert Eggison , Jerry Man ,and Robert Thompson her cousin ,her name is Pam and at the time her then partener was Ron Snelson he was also a driver at HP

as a kid going to upper thomas st school the smell of the hp sauce factory always reminded me how much i hated school

yeah steve, hp, ansells. all mixed together was quite sickening .harley.

Isnt it funny, but I used to love all the aromas around the Cross, when I worked in Rocky Lane. Barry.

My dad, Donald Draper worked at HP as a lorry driver and union man. (Does any one remember him?) He would drive long distance - thumbing a lift home if he could. Staying away for several days if he couldn't. We had the Cafe at 260 Park Lane, (grocery shop before that).When he was at home, he would be working in the shop.Smells? Lovely. Vinegar, hops and town gas!! I worked at the HP during the school holidays - either in the office or the canteens. Long, hot days.Boring overalls! My own (small) wage packet at the end of the week.Happy days.
Hello Watton,I worked as a driver with Don,for many years.In fact I had the honour of driving his Daughter,(don't ask me which one,I don't know how many he had) to the St Barnabas church in Erdington, as a bride on her wedding day.Must be very nearly 30 years ago possibly about Late 1979/1980 ish.Maybe it was you!
Regards,Bryan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Names

I can remember most of the names

George Carter aka Top Cat, Gerry Mann, ? ,DDD, Arthur Millard, Albert Eggison, ?, ?, Tommy Carey, Clive Roach, John Bradley, Paddy O'Gorman, Bob Thompson.

I hope that helps a bit, can anyone help with the other names?
George(top cat)Carter,Gerry Mann, XXX, DDD,Arthur Millard,Albert Eggison,Alan Wilson (transport manager),Tommy Carey,Clive Roach,Johnny Bradley,Johnny O'Gorman,Bobby Thompson.

Alan Wilson was the replacement for Albert.The blonde lady was Albert's secretary and then Alans secretary.The man standing to Gerry's left was I believe a driver from Spalding depot.

Re: HP Sauce

The blonde lady was Albert's secretary

Landcrab - you have made my day!!! Yes. It was me that you drove to the Church. I remember that you and dad talked together in the front, and I sat listening to you both!!! Many things have happened over the years. It will be our 30th wedding anniversary this December. So many thanks for the lift!! It's also so good to read about the names from the photo posted. I enjoy searching this site for info. about the old Aston. Unfortunately, dad died 16 years ago, so anything I find out about Aston is a deffinite plus. Thank you.

Hi Watton im dave my wife Pam worked at HP and knew your dad ,she worked in the drivers littel tea bar ,she was also a shop steward ,at the time she lived in great barr ,her then partener was also a driver for HP he was called Ron ,she has many fond memorys of HP ,and of your dads cafe .and has photos of the childrens christmas partys at HP ,she to ask if your dad is still alive .Dave & Pam

Hi Dave, no Dad died 16 years ago.
I wonder if Pam knew me as well. I used to work in the tea bars during summer holidays to earn some wages. I can remember working in the 'South' tea bar as well as the main one. I also did some time in the little office, counting the takings - which was a very dirty job, as the coins were really yukky!! Has Pam put any of the photo's on this site? They would certainly be very interesting to see. Cheers, Watton.

Hello there, the thing I remember about the HP factory is my son used to
park his car outside there when we went to Villa Park, we walked thru the grounds of Aston Hall to the match cheers Bernard

funny you lot talking about hp sauce and ansells, i lived in rocky lane up by the green, [nechells green,] allways down to the cross picture house on a saterday to watch the matinee, one of the exciting bits was the smell of the sauce/ beer and sauce mixed, on a good day you could smell it on the green, i miss that smell.

Hope this is the right place to post this. Came across this old advert for HP Sauce when it was labeled Garton's HP. Think those must have been knockwurst sandwiches on the plate!

When I came across this thread quite by chance, I couldn't resist not reopening it with reminiscence of the past.
In 1966, I was doing my first 6th form year at Bordesley Green Tech. still not really knowing what to do with my life. Food technology was in its infancy and - having done three scientific A-level subjects at school - I thought this may present a new challenge and was given an interview by HP Sauce. Their offer was to finance my food technology degree at Reading University, which I would have to attend during the academic year, and gain work experience in Aston during the long college holidays. In a nutshell, it was a HP Sauce sandwich course. db84124

Here is part of the sign, it is in the museums collection centre in Dollman St.

Terry

Back