• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Housing : Resettlement Areas Outside The City Boundaries.

Radiorails

master brummie
A post I made earlier reminds me of how those who have been rehoused in what was, maybe still is, known as "overspill towns" view their historical ancestry. These areas seemed to develop after my move to Devon. I notice that there seems to be areas that are NE, SW and SE that appear to been large developments of small towns such as Tamworth, Redditch and Chelmsley Wood. I don't believe there is a NW area unless parts of the Black Country have been part of this movement of people. I had never heard of Chelmsley Wood before but the other two were well known, lovely old market towns. I wonder what they are like now to the president residents and how much they have retained, or not, of their historical buildings and customs.

My brother and family were rehoused into a new estate of maisonettes in Aldridge then later to a house in Rushall both in the Walsall area which I think must be to the NW of Brum.

I think Telford may have been one. A few of my friends moved out there in the 60's. I was told then it was part of the overspill. Or perhaps it was just a council house exchange G

Radiorails, I went to a folk concert once and the singer was from Tamworth, can't remember his name but his song was entitled 'They've Ruined my Town'. Think that sums it up.
My Aunt moved to Redditch in 1917 as her husband was from there. Even when I visited in the 1950's it was still a country town with a lovely atmosphere. Don't get the same vibes now, however.

Back