• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hope Street School Birmingham

• Thread starter Elizabeth Redmond
  • Start date
mandy, i thought there would have been lots of answers to your request, as i am sure there are a lot of balsall heath people on the site, and hope street school was one of the catchment schools for the area, i was at hope street from 1950 to 1952 , ithink mr anderton was my teacher i can remember a mr green who was my sisters teacher, iplayed cricket for the school alongside basil bridges , he went on to play for warwick. also there was john randal ,pat roach , " the wrestler " frankie ellis , jimmy rose , the kelly brothers , two girls from the class , ican remember were , miriam dinn and valerie cambell , we used to go up to cannon hill to play sports , and somewhere up bristol road to do gardening , the best part of those two years at school were going up and down longmore street and gooch street to attend it , in the winter there was a fare set up in benacre street , so we used to come out of school and stay the evening at the fare rather than go home , every morning we would leave the house walk as far as the luxor cinema , meet up with our friends then go to our various schools , be it hope street or dennis road or st albans, i believe there is a hope street site on friends reunited, hope you get a few more replies to your post, rwm,

Hi,
Thanks Robert for the memories, I shall pass them on to Jeannette and Sybil.
My mum lived on St Lukes road her name was Margaret Davis, she had an older brother John. She remembers Pat Roach well. He used to give shoulder rides to the kids.

My family the Whellers lived at 86 St Lukes Road opposite the school no chance of bunking off there then!! They lived there for many years.

What happened to Basil Bridge, do you know if he still with us? Jeannette had a real crush on him!!
Thanks again
Mandy

mandy glad it helped you, , didnt know many people fro st lukes road only the fact that my best friend at the time went to st davids school, he was jewish religion he lived in upper cox street west , the funny thing was that on a morning when we approached belgrave road we would be joined by pat roach , and he never said a word to david weistein who was my friend n but when he came out of school in the afternoon he would go over a wall to get in to st lukes road and chase the jewish lads down the road david wasnt scared of anyone , and would hold his ground, basil bridges , is still with us and living in studley , heard of him , while talking to someone about cricket, " john randell , died sometime ago , he worked at the post and mail as a photo grapher , if i hear of anythig else will pass it on to you , rwm

Hi,

Thanks for all the info so far, Jeanette has sent me 2 photo's recognise anyone??These were taken in the early 1950's

IMG.jpg
Jeanette is middle back row.
Picture 2: Back Row: Teacher? Hazel, Shirley, Valerie, Jeannette, Pat Vaughan, Ann, Teacher??
Front Row: Rita, Susan Collins ???? Any help identifying the unknown appreciated.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG.jpg
Photo of Jeanette Williams middle back, Hope Street School 1952'ish

Photo 2: Teacher? Hazel,Shirley, Valerie, jeannette, Pat Vaughan, Ann, Teacher
Front Row: Rita, Susan Collins, ????
Any help identifying the unknown faces appreciated

Mandy
IMG_0001.jpg

mandy, i thought there would have been lots of answers to your request, as i am sure there are a lot of balsall heath people on the site, and hope street school was one of the catchment schools for the area, i was at hope street from 1950 to 1952 , ithink mr anderton was my teacher i can remember a mr green who was my sisters teacher, iplayed cricket for the school alongside basil bridges , he went on to play for warwick. also there was john randal ,pat roach , " the wrestler " frankie ellis , jimmy rose , the kelly brothers , two girls from the class , ican remember were , miriam dinn and valerie cambell , we used to go up to cannon hill to play sports , and somewhere up bristol road to do gardening , the best part of those two years at school were going up and down longmore street and gooch street to attend it , in the winter there was a fare set up in benacre street , so we used to come out of school and stay the evening at the fare rather than go home , every morning we would leave the house walk as far as the luxor cinema , meet up with our friends then go to our various schools , be it hope street or dennis road or st albans, i believe there is a hope street site on friends reunited, hope you get a few more replies to your post, rwm,

Hi Robert,

Have you seen the photo I have posted? There is a Valerie in the line up, same Valerie you were talking of?

Mandy

Further to the above, I am conducting a bit of research for my mother-in-law who used to live in St Luke's Road and went to Hope Street School. Her name was Irene Inman (bn 1940) and had an older sister, Iris. Her younger brother, Bryan was born in 1947. She says she lived at 15 and later moved to 25 St Luke's Road. Any information, photos etc. would be appreciated.

hello mandy brown, sorry i cant identify anyone in the photo, but it is many years ago , when i met pat roach just before he passed away , i recognised him right away , mainly because of his size , and seeing his photo in the papers, at school he was tall and lanky , somewhere i have a photo of the school football team , iwill sort it out and post it , it has pat roach in it , he was avaluable member of the team , all for now , keep posting rwm.

Hello Mandy, don't know how I missed this I went to Hope St but later than your friends 62/66, but the name Margaret Davies sounds very familiar, did she have blonde hair, and was she there the same time as me.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/124087513652/ heres a link to a group on Face book, there are a lot of people in this group from the area

Last edited by a moderator:
hello Mandy, i recognize the two teachers, mr and i think, mrs Smith, i was there 1947 - 1953 i hope1111 this helps you. bye for now.

shardeen

Mandy, Front row 2nd from the right is my mother-in-law, Irene Inman. She was friends with Rita Eaves. The last time she saw her was in 1963 when she was giving birth to her son and Rita was in the bed next to her having a baby.

Thanks all for the info, I have left message with cousin in America and waiting for call back to confirm if she remembers names etc. Thanks.

Mandy, Front row 2nd from the right is my mother-in-law, Irene Inman. She was friends with Rita Eaves. The last time she saw her was in 1963 when she was giving birth to her son and Rita was in the bed next to her having a baby.

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I have spoken to cousin Jeannette in USA and she would like to know if your mum in law remembers either Jeannette or Sybil Williams. Jeanette remembers Rita, any idea where she might be?

Thanks again

Mandy

Hello Mandy,
I posted in the other thread also......

Came across your post recently. WOW....to see a pic of my mother so young. You can only imagine the experience I had on opening it. I see it's an oldish post, I hope you get notification of it. OK...(1st pic) the little girl in centre at bottom is Anne Collins, who lived in Varna Road. And again in 2nd pic, bottom second from left. She was very good friends with a girl called Jackie Brown who lived in Hope Street but is not in the pics. I also noticed the name (Pat Vaughan) who has been talked about in family before, who I believe (may be wrong) went on holiday to Australia one time and brought back a toy Koala bear and gave to my mother. That same bear is still around and in the safe hands of my sister. Unfortunately my mother is no longer with us. But thanks so much for posting the pics and in fantastic quality as well. Best wishes Henry.

Might be a bit late but I went to Hope Street School from 1951 to 1957. My name is Fred Heath and brother Philip was there from 1953 to 1957. Does anyone remember Mr Crocker (The welsh man) who taught his class to sing all through the night in welsh. (I still remember most of it) I remember Tony & Budder? Taylor who lived in Hope Street, John Fortunato who lost his eye to a banger. Gordial Singh and his brother were the first sikh's to arrive in the school around 1954. I'm sure if someone jogs my ageing memory other names will come back. I remember going to the Daniell Memorial Hall in Hope Street for Lifeboys and Sunday School.

Hi Henry, Thanks for the reply. Who was your mum, what was her maiden name. I am speaking to Jeanette soon and would love to pass on the info you have supplied me with. regards and thanks.....Mandy

Hello Mandy, reference Jeannette and Sybil there mother Edna was a great friend of my mothers, Lily Lawler, my names Jim and i was at school with Jeannette and remember a lot of the people you have mentioned.

Hello Mandy, reference Jeannette and Sybil there mother Edna was a great friend of my mothers, Lily Lawler, my names Jim and i was at school with Jeannette and remember a lot of the people you have mentioned.
Hello mandy reading some of quotes and seeing photo i recognised hazel blackburn ,shirley pitkin,patty vaughan,and i think rita shaw lovely to see thier faces again in a quote were you in contact with henry adams of kent street

Sorry Mandy I never got notification of this post. My mother was Anne Collins (centre bottom) on the large pic. Her friend Jackie Brown who is not on pics also same age, went to that school. My mother married her brother. So of course that makes Jackie my Aunt whom I speak with from time to time. best wishes Henry

Last edited:
Back