• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Home made traditional food

As kids, we had Belly Draught quite often, and I have always liked it, so, today we had:

Slow cooked, roast belly pork.

Followed by another childhood favourite, rice pudding.

When I used to frequent John and Margaret's cafe by the Black Horse in Northfield, back in the 70's, they always referred to rice pud as Chinese wedding cake. :D

Steve.

As kids, we had Belly Draught quite often, and I have always liked it, so, today we had:

Slow cooked, roast belly pork.

Followed by another childhood favourite, rice pudding.

When I used to frequent John and Margaret's cafe by the Black Horse in Northfield, back in the 70's, they always referred to rice pud as Chinese wedding cake. :D

Steve.
I think slow cooked or braised meats are the absolute best! Along with rice and macaroni pudding of course :) , maybe some bread pudding as well!

100% agree on slow cooked, cheaper cuts, Richard.

I slow roast, in a roasting bag, beef brisket, with a TexMex rub. I then shred it, as per pulled pork, and use in quesadillas.

Steve.
Today is Cinco Demayo you should be serving that with a margarita or Don Julio! Love those quesadillas….

Fiftyfive years of home cooking and still healthy at 80.

But my favourite is still my wifes stew - onions/potatoes/carrots/chickpeas/mince/tomatoes and sometimes more and of course the best part - dumplings. Well cooked and nearly set solid. Even better heated up the next day [if any left!].

i used to help out in a little grocery shop when i was about 14 and as far as i can recall we didnt have sell by dates ..in fact i dont think we even had a fridge in our house until the mid 60s...folk used to go by the look of fresh food and the smell and i cant remember ever getting food poisoning..no doubt helped by the fact that people used to shop daily to ensure freshness..

lyn

They certainly did not have sellby dates. But the stuff you bought then was ompRitively simple fair. If it had already been cooked, then you knew it should be eaten soon, and ad you say, you could tell if m8lk, butter, meat fish etc was off by the smell. With preprepared meals that is not so easy. So a law was brought in for everything to have a use by or vest before date. Trouble is that meant things like salt had one !!!!.

Back