• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holy Trinity C of E School Wilson Road

alandeej,
I Have a group school picture of my late fatherinlaw that was taken in 1928. It was actually a cutting from The Evening Mail published Nov 5th 1976. i have problems putting pictures on.

I went to Holy Trinity Wilson Road School 1942-1946. Mr. Horton was the headmaster. I knew Miss Wright the later headmistress as she was a family friend. I lived on Birchfield Road, near Arden Road. As you can tell, I was at the school during the War Years and actually used the bomb shelter! I was issued a gas mask which was the Mickey Mouse type, blue rubber with a red "nose" for breathing. I was terried to wear it as I was convinced I would be suffocated, so never used it in "practice" sessions. It was in a carboard case with long cord attached to carry over the shoulder. I good job there was never a gas attack! I would love to see any pictures of this building but so far not successful, even any group school pictures.

I attended this school as a 5 year old from May to November 1956, when we lived at 15 Birchfield Rd, we then moved to Castle Bromwich

Chris Jackson.
I was born in 46 at 32 Wilson Rd and lived there with my parents Nora and Jim and my 2 sisters Val and Shirley. All three of us attended the school across the road. Others I recall at the school who lived in the street were. John England, Keith Jones, Peter, Maureen and Sidney Page, Christine Bullock .
The shops were Deakins in the corner and Collins.

Hi
I have just joined this site and am in the process of browsing various forums.
I was a pupil at Holy Trinity from 1943 to 1949 and remember the headmistess Miss Wright[A typical headmistress of the time]
Miss Wright taught the final year and I think it was Miss Harding who taught the year below[she was a lot younger than the photo shown on this forum].I rememer the bomb shelter and we used to run in at one end and out the other end ,this was totally forbidden-Im sure entrance and exit would have been blocked off shortly after I left [I dont think anyone had heard of the term Health and Safety at this time].

Pete
I was there 51 to 56 and remember running through the bomb shelter, the one by the boys toilets was closed one end but the other was open.

Chris Jackson.
I was born in 46 at 32 Wilson Rd and lived there with my parents Nora and Jim and my 2 sisters Val and Shirley. All three of us attended the school across the road. Others I recall at the school who lived in the street were. John England, Keith Jones, Peter, Maureen and Sidney Page, Christine Bullock .

Hi Chris my name is Keith Jones, the one mentioned in your post. I remember you, your sister Shirley and all the others you mentioned. I remember you moved to Kingstanding, Darleydale Rd I think, and then moved to Yorkshire and never heard of you again. I had not seen this forum before until a friend said he had seen me mentioned by name

Hi Chris my name is Keith Jones, the one mentioned in your post. I remember you, your sister Shirley and all the others you mentioned. I remember you moved to Kingstanding, Darleydale Rd I think, and then moved to Yorkshire and never heard of you again. I had not seen this forum before until a friend said he had seen me mentioned by name
Hi Keith, yes I remember you well. Had a few birthday parties at yours and the cine films your parents had. Yes we did move to York and apart from a short break of 22 years in the army am still living there. Val my eldest sister is also here, but unfortunately Shirley past away a few years ago. Hope you are keeping well it's been great to hear from my childhood friend

Chris Jackson.

Hello. I have come very late to this thread and by accident. I am the son of the Jennings family that moved into 32 Wilson Road in the mid-50s. We moved from a maisonette in Darlydale Avenue and I could not believe the coincidence of you moving to the same road! Was there some sort of house swap going on?

Our neighbours were the Bullocks (brother and sister) and Mr and Mrs Collins and we lived there until the mid-70s. I was born in 1949 and I had three sisters.

Did you know of a Jennings family?

Regards, Des.

Hello. I have come very late to this thread and by accident. I am the son of the Jennings family that moved into 32 Wilson Road in the mid-50s. We moved from a maisonette in Darlydale Avenue and I could not believe the coincidence of you moving to the same road! Was there some sort of house swap going on?

Our neighbours were the Bullocks (brother and sister) and Mr and Mrs Collins and we lived there until the mid-70s. I was born in 1949 and I had three sisters.

Did you know of a Jennings family?

Regards, Des.
Hi Des, yes we exchanged house and moved to 73 Darlydale Ave but exchanged again and moved to York in 1956.
I remember Mr and Miss Bullock very well and still have a birthday card she gave me on my second birthday. 1948.
Best wishes Chris

Hi Des, yes we exchanged house and moved to 73 Darlydale Ave but exchanged again and moved to York in 1956.
I remember Mr and Miss Bullock very well and still have a birthday card she gave me on my second birthday. 1948.
Best wishes Chris
Thanks for replying Chris. I can remember playing in the middle of Wilson Road and not a car to be seen. Incidentally, do you still live in Yorkshire. I live in Moseley, not far from where I was born at the Sorrento hospital (no longer). I never really found out why my mom had to travel from Aston where the family lived in 1949, to Moseley for my birth.

Regards, Des.

Des.

Thanks for replying Chris. I can remember playing in the middle of Wilson Road and not a car to be seen. Incidentally, do you still live in Yorkshire. I live in Moseley, not far from where I was born at the Sorrento hospital (no longer). I never really found out why my mom had to travel from Aston where the family lived in 1949, to Moseley for my birth.

Regards, Des.

Des.

Hi Des, the only traffic I remember was the coal and milkman's horse and cart and very occasionally a Pickfords lorry that I think was driven by Kieth Jones's dad.
I moved around quite a lot over the years, here and abroad but finally settling down here in York. At a rough estimate I have had between 30 and 40 different postal addresses. Best wishes Chris

Back