• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Holte Road.

Patty

master brummie
Holte Road

Hi,
I lived in Holte road till I got married and moved on. We lived at 72, and our nieghbours were the Chances. Opposite there was Mr Maggs little old shop, and others I can remember were, Mrs Nevilles outdoor, she would
sell you one cigarete. On the corner it was Mrs Butriss green grocers. at the top of the road was a shop called Brians, it was a shop that sold everything you could think of,he ran it with 2 of his aunties. Then just up from him was Mrs cooks green grocers. Oh I think there was another outdoor the other side of Brians, I used to go and get mom her sherry out of the wooden barrels.
Names I recall were,
Mrs Eynon Mrs Wingate Mrs Hawkes Mrs Shuck Mrs Payne
Mrs Redding
Mrs Lyndon
Mrs Reid
Mrs Mackie
Mrs Dare I could go on but I wont. Our name was Jones by the way, Dad Thomas and mom Ethel, me Pat and my sister Sandra.
I got these photo's off her yesterday thought someone might remember.

1st taken from Manor rd
2nd looking down the road can you see Kynochs?
3rd started knocking down
4th looking up the road, Aston Church steeple

Last edited by a moderator:
:DI was born in Holte Road and lived there intil I married at the age of twenty. A few families got together hired a lorry and went camping at Talybont. I have many photo's of those great times. Also at Christmas time a Charabang would be hired and we would either visit Wolverhampton or Coventry theater to watch a pantomime. Good comunity spirit in those days. It was the main center of discussion on the Edd Doolan show today along with geneology. I will share my photo's with you when I learn how to post them. Bye. Jean.:D

Look forward to seeing those photos Jean. Sounds like you all had a lot of fun on those trips. Life isn't like that anymore sadly. My very first memory of a holiday was at Talybont.

Old holiday photo's.

:D Photo' include my Aunt Nell and Uncle Harry, the Wilkins family Spencers and the Lyndons. Bye for now. Jean.:D

:D I remember the name of the Chiropodist in Holte Road. It was Joan Ward:D

:D Hi Pat. That photo was taken in Israel. The person on the left was mu Uncle Fred. He was seriously injured not long after this was taken and had to leave the army. He was a super artist and set up his own business as a sign writer. By for now. Jean.:D

Super photos of happy days gone by with loads of memories no doubt, Jean.
I had a cossie like the one the girl on the right is wearing, mine was pink. I remember it fondly as it lasted for quite a few years. The photos of the men in Israel are very good....the shape those fellows were in at that time is
excellent. Thanks for posting them.

Old relatives from Holte Road.

:D m.y nan and grandad Lyndon. The Wilkins's Spencers and Lyndon children. Pictures taken from the Pageant of Birmingham July 14th 1936.:D Bye for now. Jean.

Great record Patty, has it all gone now, I was bestman at my Sisters wedding at that Church she was 16 and now 60 happy days:)

The party photo.

:D The childrens party was for the queens coronation not the pageant.:D My mistake. Jean.:D

Hi Patty, A few more local names you can ponder on. Jackie Haynes, married Alec Onions (O'Nion). Still around in Great Barr. the Averies family,
Was it the Weavers who ran the hairdressers on the corner opposite the school ?.
Regards George.

:biggrin: Hi George. I am a Lyndon from Holte road. We used to live at 57. Bye for now. Jean.:biggrin:

Hi George,
I often wondered what happened to the Averie's such a big family, I do know Carl the youngest boy died in Singapore or Thialand a couple of years ago it was in the papers Mercury I think. Do you remember Mr Magg's shop opposite were I lived he was a funny bloke they had quite a large family as well all girls I think except for1 son cant recll their names.
Cant recall the name of the hairdressers but I do remember going there for a perm, torture I think that is why I took uip the trade myself on the Litchfield Rd it was called Mavis's. I am still intouch with her , she lives in Rodeo Drive Beverly Hills some folks have all the luck, she has asked me to visit loads of times but I think I would feel under dressed.
My sister still see's a lady called Bridie she used to live with a bloke called Percy Raybold do you recall them she is in a bungelow with a warden control but still looks after herself and has got all her marbles. so there's hope for us yet

:headhit: Was her name Betty Pat?. I used to go with my aunt Nell and she used to marcell wave with those red hot curling tongues. They were heated on open flames. Scared the life out of me. TTFN. Jean.:headhit:

:p Ask your husband to ask M****** if he remembers the Harri sses? We have bumped into Carl and Kenny recently. They used to nock about together. My husbands mate at school was Johny Harris.:p Jean.

:) John. My husband is Pete Smith and he thinks you are the one he went to Birchfield school with. His older brother is Brian and they lived in Witton road. I was in the same year as Frankie. My brother Albert was Kens best mate and I think they did their national service together. :biggrin: Pete tried to give you a buz on friends reunited last year. My name in Holte road was Jean Lyndon. Bye for now. Jean. :biggrin:

yes i am the john harris that pete was at school with i think we left on the same day with ken martin only 3 left that day ithink the school were glad to see us go ihave class phot somewhere ialso remember your family jean albert was agood footballer and so was our kenny if iremember your dad was awatch and clock repairer in a shed iyour garden anyway enoughfor now ill bore you to death regards john h bye for now

School

:) John. Pete said he remembers that day well. Pete said do you remember Colin Alder and Barry Fenwick? If you can find that photo I would be much obliged. Youwere correct about dad. He became too ill to do his manuel job and became a self taught watch and clock repairer. How is your Ken these days. Albert would love to know. Found a photo of the old football team they played for the year they won the cup. Will put it on for you. We were at the Button Oak pub at Arley last year chatting a man in the gardens. When he had gone Tony the landlord said that was Carl Harriss from Holte road. I wish I had known at the time. Bye for now. Jean. ps. We were invited to Kenny Martins 60th a while back but we were away at the time. :)

Football team photo.

:( John. Sorry to hear about Ken. I still have a book, Black Beauty signed from Ken Albert and Ricky. Have a look at the photo. It's the only one I have. The person who ran the team Mr Miller had a son named Brian. Small world. He lives on the corner of our road. He is going to sort out some old photo's of the team. Will post them on to you. He also remembers Ken as he played for the team as well. Byee. Jean. :)

jean tell pete.i spoke to colin holder martin laine.bob iverson ron thurston and 2or3 others not long ago we played in the school team together and iput article in the sunday mercury not long ago and aphoto they all rang me itwas a nice surprise .iwas with ken martin 2weeks ago.jean on your threads youmention ken williams he lives not far from me i see him on now and then SHALL I TELL HIM ISPOKE TO YOU VIA THIS SITE REGARDS JOHN H

Hi Johnie, do you remember me Patty Jones 72 holte road? My dad was Tommy Jones used to train the Boxing up the Holte I remember you we all used to go to the Golden Cross

Golden Cross.

:) Pat I remember the Golden Cross but didn't go very often. Do you remember a crowd of us walking home by Aston Park and two drunk Scottish guys jumped the fellas for no reason. Mentioning no names someone punches this poor young copper and another kicked him when he was on the floor. I never went again. :) Bye. for now. :)

patty

hello patty nice to hear from you idid use the golden cross but im a couple of years older than you i think so it was my brother frankie that ithink you knew .isee you live in halsowen i go there a lot my sisters grandson jay denny plays for halsowen town small world we live in .on athread you use i m sure you mention val walker i drink with robert her brother and he said he remembered you regards johnh

lHi John,
I am just a bit younger than you but not much. I have seen Valerie a few years back and she is still married to Freddy. yes I did know your Frankie but I can remember you as well. Some of the people I recall are the Wotten brothers, Toni Ali, two brothers that lived up the rd by the outdoor cant think of their names, Micky Cato, somebody Flyn. Didn't your Frankie marry a girl called Jennifer lived in Park rd?
We had some good times in those days although it got a bit rough at times. I think we used to go to a pub called the Brittania on the Litchfield rd and the one by the Holte that was the boxing club. You could always see a group playing live not like today all DJ's. I'll look out in the local paper for your granson. Say hello to Frankie for me.

jean i have my sister val with me her friend was anncie wilkins her brothers name was harry wasit the same wikins that you know regards j har

The Wilkins family.

:):) Hi Val. Johny go to a thread under holidays in Wales and you will find loads of photo's of Annic Harry my mom and dad Keithy Spencer and his family. Thanks for the message. Annice has got a stick of rock in her mouth. I'm the little blonde one in the photo's. Bye. Jean.

:) Had a lovely message from someone new called Wraggy. Going through the photo's on the site she came across one of her dad with his mom and sister. She sent me a personal message to let me know her dad is visiting her this weekend. Lives in your neck of the woods Alf. Wraggy lives in Sutton Coldfield. TTFN. Jean.

just seen this post. My grandmother was mrs Neville from the outdoor. I also remember the Averies family. I remember sitting on the bar in the outdoor, i was around 7 then. People would come in with Jugs and Bottles and my gran would fill them with draught beer and they would take it home to drink. Never get that nowadays

Back