• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Holly Grove - off Hick Street - info please

ginger_cat

knowlegable brummie
Hi,

Me again! I am hoping you lovely chaps may be able to help me?

I have found that my grandfathers family - The Bouchers - moved between Folkestone and Birmingham Several times.

On the 1911 census I have them living at Folly Cottages Folkestone

Then in 1920 - 7 Court 37 Irving Street

I have a gap through out the 1930's so presume they moved back to Folkstone. I can't find anywhere that has the voters roll for kent open and the libary can't help either!

Then from 1945 on wards I have them living at 5 Holly Grove off Hick Street Deritend.

I gather from some previous posts and the fact its not there anymore it was cleared but wondering if anyone could tell me anything about Holly Grove. It doesn't appear to be back to backs although I know Hick Street was so seems strange it was torn down?

Names of interest:

Thomas Henry Boucher B 1876 died between 1950 & 1955 in Birmingham.
Roseannah Boucher nee Carter b 1872 Folkestone Died after 1955.

Ruth Elizabeth Boucher married Francis Webb - B 1902 Birmingham - 1924 she lived with her grandmother Elizabeth on Latimer Street.

Norah Elizabeth Boucher Born 1911 in kent
Rose Boucher b 1909 kent.

Any info, however small would be much appreciated - thanks!

Large parts of that area were demolished . not all of them for good reason. That said, Holly grove was back to back, backing onto Moseley terrace, as can be seen below

HollygroveHickStc1889.jpg

Thanks Mike, wonderful map again!

I wonder if they lived in one of the houses that backed onto Hick Street? There address in the first voters roll was Hick Street - Holly Grove and then just 5 Holly grove.

I had kind of hoped that they weren't back to backs as seems to be the trend in the family. I can still hold out hope for the Steelhouse lane side though. Thanks again.

Hi,

Me again! I am hoping you lovely chaps may be able to help me?

I have found that my grandfathers family - The Bouchers - moved between Folkestone and Birmingham Several times.

On the 1911 census I have them living at Folly Cottages Folkestone

Then in 1920 - 7 Court 37 Irving Street

I have a gap through out the 1930's so presume they moved back to Folkstone. I can't find anywhere that has the voters roll for kent open and the libary can't help either!

Then from 1945 on wards I have them living at 5 Holly Grove off Hick Street Deritend.

I gather from some previous posts and the fact its not there anymore it was cleared but wondering if anyone could tell me anything about Holly Grove. It doesn't appear to be back to backs although I know Hick Street was so seems strange it was torn down?

Names of interest:Hi Ginger, Not sure what year, Roll of Hick Street. I was born at 7/8 in 1930
hope it helps Bernard

Thomas Henry Boucher B 1876 died between 1950 & 1955 in Birmingham.
Roseannah Boucher nee Carter b 1872 Folkestone Died after 1955.

Ruth Elizabeth Boucher married Francis Webb - B 1902 Birmingham - 1924 she lived with her grandmother Elizabeth on Latimer Street.

Norah Elizabeth Boucher Born 1911 in kent
Rose Boucher b 1909 kent.

Any info, however small would be much appreciated - thanks!
Hick street

I used to work with a Jack Boucher at Triplex Safety Glass, Kings Norton, in the 60's and early 70's. Any relation to you, Ginger Cat?

Big Gee

I used to work with a Jack Boucher at Triplex Safety Glass, Kings Norton, in the 60's and early 70's. Any relation to you, Ginger Cat?

Big Gee

Hi big Gee

No there isn't a Jack Boucher directly related. He may be related to Thomas' brothers though as they lived on or around Latimer Street.

Thanks

Thanks Bernard, I have attached the voters roll I have with the family on; I guess from the voters roll they only moved to Holly Grove in 1945. Thomas died in 1951 and her granddaughter Barbara and her husband Ernest was living with her by 1955. Roseannah died in 1963 aged 90, I am not sure if the houses were still there then, but I am guessing they probably were? I am a full page with some of Hick Street and nearby groves etc on if you would like to have a look. They are PDF so I can't post them on here. I suspect if you have that page though you probably have all you need but if you would like them let me know!

View attachment 66402

View attachment 66403

Thanks Bernard, I have attached the voters roll I have with the family on; I guess from the voters roll they only moved to Holly Grove in 1945. Thomas died in 1951 and her granddaughter Barbara and her husband Ernest was living with her by 1955. Roseannah died in 1963 aged 90, I am not sure if the houses were still there then, but I am guessing they probably were? I am a full page with some of Hick Street and nearby groves etc on if you would like to have a look. They are PDF so I can't post them on here. I suspect if you have that page though you probably have all you need but if you would like them let me know!

View attachment 66402

View attachment 66403
Sorry I hadnt got the time scale right, we moved out to Yardley Wood in 1932, Bernard

Sorry I hadnt got the time scale right, we moved out to Yardley Wood in 1932, Bernard

No worries - thanks for the help! At least I know for sure they weren't there in the 30's! Strangley enough her grandson (my grandparents) moved to Billesley. They were near to Chinbrook Road/Trittiford Rd.

Back