• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hockley Hill

good question pol...at least i now have a very good idea of the location and if mike can provide me a map that would be great...

lyn

Thanks Polly. I knew i'd put something on before, but couldn't find it, and don't seem to have saved my comments on my computer. I believe at one time it was called the Tramway inn. There is a reference in a police report in 1874 to the Tramway Inn , Hockley (There was also a Tramway Inn in moseley Road). Charles Daniel was listed as landlord in directories 1876-1890 , but not in 1873 or 1892. It looks from the c 1889 map that it could be accessed from both Hockley hill and Hunters Road

map_c_1889_showing_Cable_Tramway_inn.jpg

thanks mike almost got me bearings now...is that whitmore st on the left..

thanks again mike..

Last edited:
Mike it seems you are right about being able to access it from Hunters Road - this is from the Birmingham Daily Post Saturday 21st August 1886 - Charles Daniel applying for a license to sell wine on the premises of the Tramway Restaurant, Hunters lane.

Attachments

• tramway_wine_on_Sat_Aug_212C_1886.JPG
    tramway_wine_on_Sat_Aug_212C_1886.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 31
In the Birmingham Daily Post Friday 9th September 1887 Charles Daniel applied for a license to sell wine on the premises of 102 Hockley Hill - his representative said that the Tramway terminus would be opposite Daniels house and presented a memorial (petition?) signed by 150 people in favour of the application.
The application was granted.

Attachments

• cable_tramway_Fri_Sept_92C_1887.JPG
    cable_tramway_Fri_Sept_92C_1887.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 22
Lyn, the number 81 is the car fleet number, they were cable operated hence no overhead wires show in the picture, and there's the connection to the Inn. They were introduced during the 1890's and travelled the Handsworth route as far as the New Inns until 1911.
I've checked my Kelly's up to 1900 and cannot find the Inn listed, perhaps Mike can see any later dates.

Colin
Would these have operated on a similar system as the San Fransisco cable cars where the driver/brakeman operates a lever which grabs the continually moving cable ?

If you look at the compare the facade of the Inn on Lyn's picture and Phil's picture on post #5,it would appear that the Inn later became theTramways Store.

I know there was a passageway down from the Palladium which brought you out into Hunters Road. Looking at the picture at No 5, I think it could be between the black buildings and white ones.

soho hill map 3.jpganother map showing where the tram depot was...also noticed there was a welsh chapel nearby..cant be sure but i think thats gone now..will have a look next time i am down that way...

hi yes
that old welsh church became an electro plating firm; just cannot think at the moment of the company name it was there for years
astonian;;

Hi lyn I think this picture is the same location? note the building on the right side Hockley house.

hockley.jpg

it is indeed pud....where the tram is in your pic is roughly where it is in my pic post 1...hunters road on the right...thanks pud...

lyn

hockley hill.jpglyn heres more or less the same spot from google, three of the buildings are still standing and funny enough by where the bus has stopped.

hi pud..if you look at the pic i posted on post 6 those 3 buildings left standing are just down from the pally the rest you see on my pic have gone...hoping to get down there tomorrow with me camera to take a now shot to compere

lyn

hi folks..had to stand under the flyover to get this pic so best i could do...if you look at the now pic you can see that only 3 of the buildings with the pointed rooves still remain...

lyn

HOCKLEY006_zps982ad5c3.jpg

sohohillpally_zpsdcbe0318.jpg

looking up soho hill..i used to use that chippy in the late 60s early 70s...we jumped off the no 8 from spring hill rollar rink straight into the chippy then a walk round into hunters road right turn into nursery road and home to villa st...very happy days and its so sad to see how its changed so much...

HOCKLEY019_zps06c7d208.jpg

thanks mike i knew there were some inside shots somewhere but couldnt place them....
i agree carolina a very sad site indeed...

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn: Thanks for posting your recent photos of the Hockley Palladium Cinema....what sad sight it is! I found some inside photos on this site which are hard to look at since they are mostly of the interior in it's derelict state. https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/theatres-cinemas/59456-hockley-palladium-birmingham.html The height of the building from the outside gives the viewer little idea of how steep the viewing area was. Those buildings adjacent with the round roofs look like the "Aston Hall" type design.

Forgot to mention there is a thread started quite a while ago about the Palladium but all the photoes were destroyed in the hacking event.

hi jenny thanks for that link..i will take a look at that one later on...if i can find time in the next few days i will find the pally thread and try to repost a few pics back onto it...

lyn x

Great pictures on the 28dayslayer website! Thanks for posting.

I passed by on the bus last week when I was up in Birmingham, very sad. I can't see anyone taking it on now :-(

Back