• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

History of vehicle registration numbers

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone know of an online resource which will provide information on the approximate dates of Birmingham vehicle registrations? In particular, for what period was a particular prefix used; and then roughly what was the issue of the various sequences of numbers associated with it?

(It’s OG 6698 in which I am mainly interested).

Thanks for any advice.

Chris

The above question originally coincided with a useful statement from another forum member, Peter Walker, dealing with the wider question of Birmingham registration numbers. This should be regarded as the main subject of this thread and is quoted below:

We all see the reg numbers on passing vehicles, but probably few think about how the numbers, or particularly the letters, were selected. There is a qood web site, https://www.dvla.gov.uk/histm-l/hist cent.htm which covers the official side of the story. But I don't think so many people know about the local numbering "system", if it can be called that.

From 1896 all mechanically propelled vehicles weighing over 14 tons had to be registered. After the turn of the century, the development of the petrol engine brought over 5000 vehicles on the road, and a licensing acr was introduced in 1903 for all motor vehicles, the licences being issued locally. The first number A 1 was issued by the London County Council in 1903. The letter B was used for Lancashire registrations, C for Yorkshire west Riding and so on to E (Staffordshire), and O Birmingham.

The Birmingham Motor Express Company introduced six Milnes-Daimler buses in 1904, which were numbered O 264 - 269. By 1907 the succeeding company (Midland Red) had introduced another 20 numbered O 1270 - 1291 (not O 1279, 1282, for some reason), before it decided to give up petrol buses and use horses again. It took until 1912 to try petrol buses again when 13 buses were registered O 8200 - 8212, followed by O 9913 - 9942.

In that year, rather than add another digit to the number, the authorities decided to add a second letter to new registrations, followed by up to four numbers. In Brum OA started in 1913, reaching OA 2549 by the end of year, OA 4600 by the next. Despite World War 1, the numbers grew to OA 7103 by 1916, when OB followed. Then next allocated letters were OE in 1919 and OH in 1920, then OK in 1922. OL in 1923, OM in 1924, ON and OP in 1926, OX in 1927. Then in 1928 came a foreigner, VP, which lasted for a while, after which some of the missing O-series were filled in, OF and OG in 1930, OV in 1931, OJ in 1933 and OC in 1934. Meanwhile OD had gone to Devon, OI to Belfast. OR, OT, OW to Southampton, OS to Wigtown and OY to Croydon.

This was the stage at which three letters were introduced, followed by only three numbers, starting with AOA and reaching AOP by 1935. Then came BOA etc, followed by COA in 1936, DOA in 1937, EOA in 1938 and FOA in 1939. Afrter the war, GOA followed in 1946, HOA in 1946, JOA in 1949, KOA in 1950, LOA in 1952, MOA in 1953, by which time the rate of new registrations was growing rapidly. The first step in the mid-1950s was to issues a comoplete set of the same numbers with the letters behind instead of in front.

That lasted until the mid-sixties, when suffix letters were added, A for 1963 I believe.

In the last few years we have had new systems to cope with the increase in vehicles, but you can still tell a Brummy car by the O-something letters somewhere in the registration.

Frequent visitors to Brum were AC (Warwickshire), DA and JW (Wolverhampton), DH (Walsall), DU, KV, HP and WK (Coventry), EA (West Bromwich), FD (Dudley), HA (Smethwick) and RE and RF (Staffordshire).

Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
My grandad always said he had one of the first registrations issued in birmingham,

I have contacted a few orgs inclduing dvla to track it down with no joy .

I think the old records are at bham libaray but i have not tiem yet to go and see.

I have the registartion plate of one of his vehicles probably a motorbike but cant track any detail of that either.

I have just bought a book called" How to trace the history of your car"
from Philip Riden. ISBN 1 898937 25 7.

Worcestershire used AB, UY,WP Chester TU I once owned an Ariel 350cc motorcycle with chromium plated flywheels and high lift cams which had belonged to the Competition's manager and was registered as BON 8. It had a Burman gearbox and a Lucas magneto and dynamo with a Zenith carburettor and would do around 90mpg and 90mph. Solihull's mayors car has SOL1 as a registration

Re.History of vehicle registration numbers

Not forgetting what was probably the most common one in Brum i.e.JOJ which was seen everywhere as it was on the Corporation buses!

There were a few numbers with O in the middle that didn't come from Brum, if my memory is correct they were from Devon. Worcester had FK and Hereford CJ in their numbers. I used to have the Glasses Guide book with them all in but it's long gone. E.

There were a few numbers with O in the middle that didn't come from Brum, if my memory is correct they were from Devon. Worcester had FK and Hereford CJ in their numbers. I used to have the Glasses Guide book with them all in but it's long gone. E.

For 'completeness', the 'On' and 'nOn' registration marks NOT from Birmingham were, I believe:

OD : Devon
OO : Essex [often seen on Ford rally cars as OOO nnnl]
OR : Hants
OT : Hants
OU : Hants
OW : Southampton
OY : Coydon [London]

Regards - Julian

I remember a car that had the number GWD230 it was just after the war and it was a beautiful American car. It might have been two tone certainly not black. My friend 'bagged it' 'darn it'. I think I have the number right, it was a long time ago but GWD I am sure is right. It used to go along Alum Rock road frequently.

Not forgetting what was probably the most common one in Brum i.e.JOJ which was seen everywhere as it was on the Corporation buses!

Birmingham used all of the JOJ numbers on buses, but they were beaten by Glasgow which used BUS!

Midland Red buses were registered in Smethwick, so their registration letters all ended HA, except a few taken over from other companies they bought out.

Sadly all of the Birmingham registration records were scrapped some years ago when the Oozells St office closed - they had files on every number issued, and some time previously I managed to get a copy of the registration document of my dad's first car, a Clyno registered ON 6262.

In the early 1960's and before the Police Communications Room had the spare set of keys to Ooozells Street Offices.
If the occasion appeared serious enough the keys were issued in order that the registration number files could be examined.
Only had to do it once and travelled in to collect the keys from the 'Comms' (in Steelhouse Lane) out to Oozells Street. Then a case of the blind leading the blind through their system (they did have a few sheets of paper advising the uninitiated how to go about it). Retrieving the information and locking up and returning the keys to 'Comms'.

Heck now it is done by the simple pushing of a button, so to speak, and is country wide. So detailed the information I guess they will soon be able to tell what one had for breakfast :D

re reg no

I saw a police motor bike in birmingham cc with the reg, COP

Last edited:
Thanks, Ben (and welcome to the forum).

This thread contains my original question but my first posting has, I think, been amended - and much expanded - by the moderators, probably to enable a new thread on the general subject of registration numbers to be started.

Various other helpful comments in reply to my question are still in the original thread (which now seems to have lost the question itself, unfortunately) here:
https://forum.birminghamhistory.co.uk/showthread.php?t=9652
if you are interested in reading them. As well as a pic of the car in question.

Chris

A couple Cars at Dolman Street Storage.
Left Rover P5 automatic Right Austin Atlantic Coupe.

First Motorbike I had was Ha 6057 Smethwick reg original Later Joc 619 and then Lob something and the Koc 626 /Lob I have a pic of somwhere so can have look to see what the numbers were . Lob was a 500 cc B33 which I bought at cost price whilw working at the factory Think my nametag is still old Brummy or maybe Old Browny any whats in a name Cheers Joe

Oh Yes Silly me I see Old Brummy is still current. I had a bit of a scare about thiswebsite after having email etc about its change of ownership. When I googled for it itwas missing so I thought it was gone but since have found it way down on Gooogles list Cheers Old Brummy

I once owned a brand new James 'Captain' motorcycle that I purchased from Motor Sales in Smethwick. It was issued with the Smethwick registration number 336 EHA but I cannot recall the year that I bought it. It was in the late 1950's and it could have been 1958. Does anyone know how I can confirm the date please?
Emlyn

I recall that Glasses Guides the car valuation books had a vehicle registrations book that accompanied it years ago, maybe worth looking for.

Thanks for the tip off Eric. I will look out for an old Glasses Guide. I have had a tip off that EHA was probably issued in 1957.

Emlyn

the Lord Mayors car still carries LOM 1 showing the Birmingham "O" and his initials either side.
Two photos of the Lord Mayor's car taken in about December 1987. One photo is of the car itself and the other is with people passing by. I guess the car always keeps the LOM 1 registration but I don't know how often the actual car is changed. Dave.

img027.jpgimg028.jpg

A comprehensive guide:
https://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf

Devon did not issue the letter prefixe 'A' in 1963 as it will be seen it was not compulsory until year 'C' in 1965. They did issue 'B' however.
I had a vehicle registered in Plymouth (in the WDR series) which did have the 'A' prefix. It was a pain in many ways as I had to explain to many what the 'A' meant and why it was there.

My first car was a Morris 8 series E .Reg CWD 905.Tried to get EDD1E from Worcs.But they said it would not be issued.Now I've got my own number plate GN16 BXE which stand for

Great News .in 2016 Brenda loves Eddie.:heart::heart:

A week after I bought the Morris 8 decided to take my Mom & Dad for a ride to Bromyard.After we had got passed Worcester it started to rain and rain and rain and then it poured down for ages.The car had a sunshine roof and the rain poured through it soaking my parents.Dad never went in it again ,but I took my mother to work every morning as we worked at the same place and had to be in at the same time 7-00:joy::laughing:

Can anyone tell me what year and make this motor is? My Grandfather Dad Uncle Grandmother and ME the nipper I was born in 1933 so the motor must be a 1935 or so?

Attachments

• 57561102_1779857045447657_2403571502520729600_n.jpg
    57561102_1779857045447657_2403571502520729600_n.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 25
Solihull also had it's own reg. nos. XC were the two last letters. I used to go out with a girl who had an austin mini with the reg SXC ---- C and by george she was! I also recall Jimmy Tarbuck's roller had the reg Com 1 C and he said it was a Coventry reg but must have been a Birmingham one.

have you checked the b`ham arcives. they store most docs, b`ham dont like to destroy records.

Re.History of vehicle registration numbers

some one around here has a newish fiesta, joj plate

Back