• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hingeston Street

Hi Brummie
I would also like to asked you what year did your relie last run that cafe as i am trying to vizulize the cafe ? ,
I am not doubting about your thread it just i cannot place it at the moment
i know years ago there was an old little house that sold beers in the early 1900s along there from the corner but i just cannot place the numbering
i know there was a news paper shop and a bit of a provisins shop on the corner and i can recall the little houses but for the love nor money i
Cannot think of the numbers my mate lived close to the litle shops silvester and a rake of kids i knew but i cannot lace the shop ;
but i do have a old friend on here and he his also friends on the forum ; but i knew our old friend mossy years ago when he was in his youth
and his a friend of another old friend whom pased away some years now but i think our forum member may recall the cafe whom your relies ran
whom ran this little cafe you are on about ; the only cafe i can recall is the volano cafe on the corner of hingestion street and it was opersite the
mint pub which i recall as having those little houses on the same side of the street and may be thats where your family cafe was
because as i have said and i hope mossy is seeing this thread as i know he was always down on hingestion street more times than me
with friends of mine and his when he was not working the shift at barker and allens on dudley road
but i would like to know what year they was there so may be i can recall itbest wishes astonian;;

As I lived near the bottom of Warstone Lane during the 1950's, I was always down Hingeston St too. I remember a little sweet shop which also sold Ice cream and possibly newspapers too. I think the Ice cream they sold was Eldorado. This shop was with one or two others at the Mint end of Hingestion St. Opposite there was a bakers shop that sold mini cottage loaves for 6d. I used to go down every Sunday for the Ice cream. I really don't remember a cafe, but maybe it was higher up the street. I don't recall how the numbers ran either. I only went up the top end of Hingeston St when going on the No 96 bus, which ran from town, up to Lodge Rd.

HI MAGGS
The only cafe on the corner of hingestion street at the mint end was the volcana cafe and it was still operating right up untill the demolition of the
the hingestion street and ickneild street and in the sixties there was a shooting there of the owner he survived
he was a foreign guy i cannot think of his name ; but i would be prety sure our forum friend mossy may recall his name as he was more regular there
than me it was done by a member of one of the family members of a well known family that spent there time in there
i knew the family and the person whom done so did mossy would have known him a well the person got time for it ;
as its been mentionioned in time hingestion street got a reputation for being rough and for murders there as been three to my knowledge
and there was always gang fights i my self was involved with one with a couple of them out side the cafe along with a old friend whom his family
are well known even today we was long time old friends sadly he as died he committed sucide afew years later
our friend as not come back on this subject but i have give it some deep thought
and as tyou walk from the mint pub along towards heading up to the heading so to speak of hingestion street i think as i try to vizulize
at one point there was i beleive a little premises which at the time of my thinking walking along there was once stood a shop which wasclosed down
and with the name of a cafe which was never ever openened up again and thats when the volcano come in after that ;
the little shop you speak of was three doors from my friends house the silvester whom became a butcher at walter smiths by the libary
the little shop came betwen george street west and i think it was Ellen stret as well on your left hand walking up hingestion street
have a nice day best wishes Astonian;

The cafe would have been there betwwwn 1964 and 1970 at least because thats when they lived there, they also lived there when cathy come home was filmed

The house you are talking about, we moved into, found out about the murder as I got older, the house was a back to back knocked into one, I swear it was haunted, we got broke into whilst we were living there, so I to have good and bad memories.

The house you are talking about, we moved into, found out about the murder as I got older, the house was a back to back knocked into one, I swear it was haunted, we got broke into whilst we were living there, so I to have good and bad memories.

Living in a house where there was a murder, which had a ghost and which was broken into must have been quite an expreience. Start of a good mystery story there, I guess. Have you any pictures of the street at that time? They would be of great interest to the thread.

Incidentally, I have been out of action for some time so I do apologise to the people who have sent me a message to which I have not replied. Sorry!

Colin37

Not many spirits mean any harm, would probably reacted to the break in?
If anyone is interested in books and Photos refering to Hingestion Street I would suggest "A trip down the Flats" by Garry Smith: "Winson Green To Brookfields through time" by Ted Rudge: Winson Green and Brookfields by Peter Drake.

Hi cookie273uk,
Carl Chinn has written in "Streets of Brum" Part Two a Theory of Hingeston Street by Dave Morris - just in case you have not got the book I will quote the section "Dave Morris, now living in Southampton, was raised in Brookfields and recalls that many of the yards in Hingeston Street had name places in India. His father told him that 'there was a major or colonel Hingeston in one of Kipling's stories of India. I have never verified this but my father thought there might be some connection there, however tenuous' (Carl goes on to say) Given that Hingeston Street had emerged by the Mid-Nineteenth Century and that Kipling became famous decades later, it is unlikely that the builder could have been influenced by the writer. Still, there is somethingintriguing about Hingeston Street and its yards calling out to India. Dave Bicknell provides an explanation. He states that 'regarding the Indian Place names for groups of buildings like Serringapattam, Streepmoitore and Poonmallee, these are names of places where battles were fought between the East India Company's regiments and local Indians during the establishment of the Raj on the Indian sub continent.

Hi cookie273uk,
Carl Chinn has written in "Streets of Brum" Part Two a Theory of Hingeston Street by Dave Morris - just in case you have not got the book I will quote the section "Dave Morris, now living in Southampton, was raised in Brookfields and recalls that many of the yards in Hingeston Street had name places in India. His father told him that 'there was a major or colonel Hingeston in one of Kipling's stories of India. I have never verified this but my father thought there might be some connection there, however tenuous' (Carl goes on to say) Given that Hingeston Street had emerged by the Mid-Nineteenth Century and that Kipling became famous decades later, it is unlikely that the builder could have been influenced by the writer. Still, there is somethingintriguing about Hingeston Street and its yards calling out to India. Dave Bicknell provides an explanation. He states that 'regarding the Indian Place names for groups of buildings like Serringapattam, Streepmoitore and Poonmallee, these are names of places where battles were fought between the East India Company's regiments and local Indians during the establishment of the Raj on the Indian sub continent.

Hi Cookie273uk,
You asked where the name of Hingeston Street came from, I replied 5 days ago a theory from Carl Chinn, as I have seen no reply from you I can only assume that you have not yet read the reply

Would love to get any pictures of Hingeston Street from 1900? tracing my Brummie ancestors and they lives at 7 Helena Place on Hingeston Street ..well thats what the 1901 census shows anyway :)

Hi Guys
Sorry i am late getting on site but i will contact you both tomorrow evening with some think
i did live close to Hingestion street and knew alot of people and school friend from down that neck of the woods
and i did have a very good friends from around the number you have given a matter of yards from there
Astonian;;;

Hi there Brummie girl
Here is a couple of photo,s of old Hingestion street hockley which was birmingham 18
this is what the houses looked like and never changed from day one of them building them
all what changed reallly is the years i had a friend whom lived about 12 houses along from your number
i think you asked for the years 1939 ,upwards well i have gone some but i have to dig out my records
from 13 years ago when i did put this on and i think it was the same number what you are requesting
but because i am exremely busy with work load i have just come out and found two pictures as a tasterto expect
the house your reie lived in would be one of those terrace houses as you see in the first picture
along side of the pub ,called the rose and crown they are all like that from one end to the other end
meaning from the bottom of the street to far as you can see at the top of the page
there is a varity of house and names of the building as you go up and down on both sides of the road
and with courts and back to back houses amongest them
As I truely know of the street and of cathy come home story that was made for TV to show the counntry of
truely familiy hardships and poor state of the houses which we all know its not just brum
you can get a book on cathy and also you can down load a copy of the film
i was living within a mile of the street at the time and i went to the local schools at that period
as i said i had many friends living close to your family one was about 12 doors along another one facing that pub
which you see the rose and crown my friends was a family of litle kids and a sister whom we all went to the steward stret school
and until one day my friends father whom never done a days work used to sit in the house sitting by the fire side
they was another poor family only a pile of wood they got to burn to keep themselves warm
could not afford coal yet the coal wharf was up the top of that street
but he always had money for his ciggies my friend mother looked after her big family the best she could they was never dirty clothing on them she kept a highly clean house under the circunstances
and never ever went out drinking in pubs she looked after and protected her kids
until one lunch time in the week he told her to nipp across and fetch him his fags to fags
and because she was gone for ages and the pub is facing the front door , he thought some think was going on between them
that being the gaffer chatting up his wife so when she dashed back over to the house he was fuming
he shouted and attacked her accusung her of an affair as he sat there next to the fire with the axe in the bucket of wood
he stood up and chopped her in the head and of corse she was instanly dead
the family being so young was put into care
the second picture you see of the shops and you can see some little premises that used to be shops
which at some point was in there ay day was little private business i presume from the early years before 1939
well the first one in line just before that first shop was another friend of mine hishouse was oneof those little shop converted by the council as i said he was about twelve doors from your relie
and your relies house was smaller and it was almost at the beginning of hingestion street
coming from the corner of Ickneld street and the mint pub was on the corner on the right hand as you turned into the street and
on the other corner was was a little tiny shop it was a grocery shop then there was a batch of little houses
and the one was an off licence in those early days of 1800s early 1900s lots of people would be selling beers to people and the public as i shoud say from there front room so it roughly one of those i will find the excact one i did 13 years ago on this forum
i will come back soon as i can with the one you want all being well
so here are the ones to give you an idea of what the stret was all about with poverty there was lots of big familys living in those tiny little house but every body looked out for each other the street was always a dark feeling to it from way back 1900S
Best wishes Astonian,,,,,,

Attachments

• HINGESTON-ST-16-01-58.jpg
    HINGESTON-ST-16-01-58.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 58
  • Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 56
Hi there Brummie girl
Here is a couple of photo,s of old Hingestion street hockley which was birmingham 18
this is what the houses looked like and never changed from day one of them building them
all what changed reallly is the years i had a friend whom lived about 12 houses along from your number
i think you asked for the years 1939 ,upwards well i have gone some but i have to dig out my records
from 13 years ago when i did put this on and i think it was the same number what you are requesting
but because i am exremely busy with work load i have just come out and found two pictures as a tasterto expect
the house your reie lived in would be one of those terrace houses as you see in the first picture
along side of the pub ,called the rose and crown they are all like that from one end to the other end
meaning from the bottom of the street to far as you can see at the top of the page
there is a varity of house and names of the building as you go up and down on both sides of the road
As I truely know of the street and of cathy come home story that was made for TV to show the counntry of
truely familiy hardships and poor state of the houses which we all know its not just brum
i was living within a mile of the street at the time and i went to the local schools at that period
as i said i had many friends living close to your family one was about 12 doors along another one facing that pub
which you see the rose and crown my friends was a family of litle kids and a sister whom we all went to the steward stret school
and until one day my friends father whom never done a days work used to sit in the house sitting by the fire side
they was another poor family only a pile of wood they got to burn to keep themselves warm
but he always had money for his ciggies my friend mother looked after her big family the best she could they was never dirty clothing on them she kept a highly clean house under the circunstances
and never ever went out drinking in pubs she looked after and protected her kids
until one lunch time in the week he told her to nipp across and fetch him his fags to fags
and because she was gone for ages and the pub is facing the front door , he thought some think was going on between them
that being the gaffer chatting up his wife so when she dashed back over to the house he was fuming
he shouted and attacked her accusung her of an affair as he sat there next to the fire with the axe in the bucket of wood
the second picture you see of the shops and you can see some little premises that used to be shops
which at some point was in there ay day was little private business i presume from the early years before 1939
well the first one in line just before that first shop was another friend of mine hishouse was oneof those little shop converted by the council as i said he was about twelve doors from your relie
and your relies house was smaller and it was almost at the beginning of hingestion street
coming from the corner of Ickneld street and the mint pub was on the corner on the right hand as you turned into the street and
on the other corner was was a little tiny shop it was a grocery shop then there was a batch of little houses
and the one was an off licence in those early days of 1800s early 1900s lots of people would be selling beers to people and the public as i shoud say from there front room so it roughly one of those i will find the excact one i did 13 years ago on this forum
so here are the ones to give you an idea of what the stret was all about with poverty there was lots of big familys living in those tiny little house but every body looked out for each other the street was always a dark feeling to it from way back 1900S
Hi there Brummie girl

Back