• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hingeston Street

hi there
I can say one thing like maggs it was a hard and poor working class area but people was working hard in those days
and yes it was a tough area as far as gangs of kids went ;but there was none of this carrying ons like today ;
it was hard to make ends meet and the houses back to backs and with there teracess and yards but neibour helped each other
it was never looked down and out of course times was hard for every body but we all worked i dare say there was the odd one out ;
such as cathy come home must to my surprize the film makers found some one but the street was never like they portrayed it never in a month of sundays ;
you go down there now its a complete disgrace the council want to regenerate theout skirts not the city for all these yuppies as we call them ;
with the expensive appartments as the big white house forgot the poor working class of today ;
even dudley rd and winson green ; if my memory serves me correct i think it was in the evening mail at the time in the years around late fifty or the early sixty period because of the over growding of the jail they was gonna do away with it andbuild a new one ;
i drove around old maggs area a week ago up pitford street and pased the old brokie school what an appaling condition ;
crab tree rd is as bad as ever at least it was clean and the proptrys was ingood condition ;
i see old r whites pop factory is all about little car dealers operating car repais more scrap cars pon the rd out side than repaired
onian best wishes , Astonian ;;

Regarding the infant murder: I have not found anything as to whether the perpetrator was ever found but I did find this, from the Birmingham Post,

(the other piece was from the Birmingham Gazette) which gives a little more detail -- if you have the stomach for it.

Attachments

• Child-Murder_Sat13May1865.jpg
    Child-Murder_Sat13May1865.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 42
Another piece from the Birmingham Post with an Hingeston Street connection dated Friday 13 Jan 1882.

Attachments

• AllegAttemtMurderFri13Jan1882.jpg
    AllegAttemtMurderFri13Jan1882.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 35
I remember the murder of mrs Hanlon, I was about 10 years old at the time, I went to steward school and one of the boys was in my class, we took toys to school for them, the children went to father hudsons home,

Dalias, my friend also remembers this murder, as she lived in Hingeston St at the time. She would also have been about 10 yrs old, and had her picture taken by the Sunday Mercury at the time, close to the murder scene. She has, unfortunately lost the photo. I see you went to Steward St school. My friend at that time was attending Ellen St school. Isn't it sad that the boys had to go into a home? I was also living in the same area, but I can't remember the murder.

hi maggs ;
have not heard fromyou for a long time i hope you are wel now, i am totally surprized you do not recall the mrs hanlon ;murder
you lived virtulay on the door step ; so to speak ; [ thats a figure of speech maggs ] i can recall the day and time as we was friends with bryan ;
and good muckers [ blondie was is nick name because he had the blond hair ; [ blondie hanlon ]along with another long term friends whom you know as well the adams family [ nipper and cousins and old joyce adams bless her sole ; she came and told us that being nipper and dave and myself at lunch time
they came and fetch the boys out of school ;and took them away ; lovely woman ; 'they shoulfd have hung him ; alan astonian ;;;

I did live virtually on the doorstep of Hingeston St Alan, but I honestly don't remember anything about that murder. I suppose being young, it didn't mean a lot to me really. I think my friend only remembers it because she lived close to the house where the murder took place. I think I would have remembered it too in those circumstances. I'll ask my friend if she remembers your friend Bryan , who was nicknamed Blondie, and if she remembers Mrs Joyce Adams. Very sad that those boys were taken out of school and sent off to a home. Wonder if the murderer is now dead himself?

I am keeping well thank you Alan, and I hope you are too.

Dear Astoness,

My Ggrandparents lived at No 66 Hingeston Street and I am trying to get a picture of the street (if one exists). However, I see all these grey blocks with 'Thumbnail attached' but do not know how I can access the attachments. Am I allowed? How do I do it? Sorry to interrupt your brilliant work on the thread.

hi colin....our forum was hacked last year and we lost all of our images so the ones that you cant see are lost forever..members are trying to repost as many back to the forum as possable so if you go to post 66 all the reposted pics of hingeston st start there...plenty to look at...hope this helps you...

lyn

Hi, Lyn,

Sorry to be a nuisance but how do I get to post 66? (I am a newbie - and not too bright at that - so I hope you will make allowances.)

Colin

hi col not a problem im still new at this myself half the time..right then click on where it says FIRST at the bottom of this message and that will take you to post 1 then click on page 2 and so on....get back if you are having problems...
post 66 is on page 5
lyn

Last edited:
Hi, Colin37, You didn't give a name or a date but wondered if this might be of interest to you:

Kelly's Directory 1895, No. 66, Hingeston St., Weaver, William H. confctnr.

There are no other mentions in Kelly's of this house number that I have access to.

Ed.

I found out this week that my dad lived at number 9 Hingeston street in the early 1960's he was also in the film cathy come home, they filmed it on their road. 17 Hingeston Street No 11 Brookfields 23-6-1958.jpg

This image was given to me by Carl Chinn, he said number 9 is the third shop on the right, this is where my dad would have lived. does anyone remember them living at number nine

sarah

when did you know it, my dad lived at 11, the cafe, on hingeston street do you remember it at all, my nan ran it

Back