• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hingeston Street

Weoley

knowlegable brummie
It wasn't until I saw something about it on tv the other day that I found out that the eviction scenes from Cathy Come Home were filmed in Hingeston Street. You probably all knew that, but it got past me.

HI, I remember it well.
We had been evicted from a private flat for reasons best known to the landlord and after sitting up at bush house all day we were finally given the keys to 2/139 Hingeston St.
My God I nearly died when I saw that place, one up one down and an attic and a kitchen that was so small it was the width of a Belfast sink, and the cooker had to go in the living room. No hot water and a shared toilet up the top of the yard.
Well the day we moved in The pub on the corner, The Laurels I think, was all roped off. Apparently a guy called Midnight had stabbed him to death. Then a couple of days later the movie crew came in to film Cathy Come Home. We all got to know the stars pretty well and took it in turns to provide cups of tea for everyone. It was filmed in the next yard to ours.
So yes I remember it well.

My grandfather Arthur Dyas (who died 27 years before i was born) lived at 58 Hingeston street when he was 21 and an ice cream vendor. This was in 1916 a lot earlier than Cathy Come Home but still interesting for me to learn bits of information of what the houses were like there. Thankyou weoley and jude.

This is such an intersesting piece of social history. Gizmo have you any connection to Kathleen Dyas. Her books are a great insight into this area!

Hi Momma p

Kathleen Dyas is not a name i have come across yet, but i only have basic info from the cencus and odd certificate i've bought when stuck. I started with only my grandfathers name as my dad was only six when Arthur his dad died. Thier had obviously been a fall out in the family as he knew nothing about any of them. Unfortunately with kids and family commitments i have only managed one trip to Birmingham to find the meaty bits so i still have a long way to go. I must confess i have moved to the other side of my family tree which is based in Worcester where i live and although a larger family i can access the history place easier here. I still like to hang around here and be nosey though. Could you tell me the names of any of the books by kathleen Dyas, it might be a good present for my dad for christmas (i never know what to get) then i can borrow it off him.:D
Thanks moma for putting me on to this.

Tracy:)

Hi Gizmo, Momma P. I have read several of Kathleen Dyas's books but cant for the life of me remember any titles. they should be pretty easy to find try Watersons the bookstore I'm sure they'll have some of her books.
I'm sure your Dad would enjoy them.

Actually, the author's name is Kathleen DAYUS. She lived in the next yard to my grandparents in Camden Drive and her maiden name was Greenaway.

Oh dear Charlie thanks, of course it was Dayus, wern't your grandparents mentioned in one of her books.

Wendy: Yes, the Chapmans were mentioned in the first book. My gran took Kathleen's elder brother in when Granny Greenaway chucked him out!
Granny Greenaway was a bit of a terror, according to my aunt, the whole of Camden Drive would avoid her as much as possible and all the kids were scared of her. She made Kathleen's life a bit of a misery as well. Plus, my aunt reckoned Kathleen's elder sister Liza was "on the game". Whatever can she mean!? ;)

HERE are some of the titles of Kathleen Dyas books I thought might help you
her people
where there's life
the people of lavender court
the ghosts of yesteryear
the best of times
all my days
I do hope this helps you in your search for her books my Mum has read all of them and enjoyed them
Good luck:)

Hi There Mutley
Many Thanks For Your Info;on Kathlene Dyas
Where Would You Recomend That I Can Get These Copies From ,
I Would Be Very Much Intrested In Reading Her Books
And Try And See If There Is Any Body I Know May Be Mentioned In Them ,even Mossy May Be Intrested In Them As It Was His Old Haughting Ground But There Again I Think Mossy Was A Little Younger Than Me , By Golly We Did Have Some Characters Around There In Those Date And Familys Of Character And Style,
Once Again Many Thanks For Your Info; And I,m Sure There Are Many More Members Out There Whom Would Would Like To Read Them
Have A Nice Day Best Wishes Astonian ,

Astonian: Take a look at the Hockley Girl thread a bit further on. This book is an omnibus edition of all her autobiographical books and you can pick one up from Amazon for 99p, apparently.
Enjoy - they're really evocative of the era.

hi all. would any of you snappers out there have any photos of hingeston street please. in particular the rose and crown pub which was where my dad was christened in 1929. many thanks. wales

sorry i meant to say his christening party was held there. dads mom was the stepdaughter of the landlord. wales

dibb 44. youve made may day thank you. dad will love this one too. looks like it was taken inthe 60s. dont know if you have heard of a docu/film that was made in the early 60s called kathy come home. anyway it was fllmed in hingeston street. im going to try to get a copy. cheers again. wales

thanks wendy. yes i beleive it was quite hard going. especially when kathy had her children taken away from her at the end. wales.

Cathy come home, is easily available on DVD, bought mine on ebay a while back, it is indeed a thought provoking film even today, back in the 60s when it was filmed people must have been horrified.

I understand the photo was taken on the 23rd July 1968, Cathy come home was filmed in 1966, at around this time demolition must have been going on in and around Brookfields. I have some other images of Hingeston Street if anyone else is interested.

HI DIBB,AND WALES
First Of All Thanks Dibbs For THE Pic ,And Wales ,
I To Have Memories Of The Street ,And The Pub, What Year Was Your Father There Until He Left ?. Because Some Of My Memory,s Are Good And Bad ,
About The Pub , Iv,e Had A Good Laugh In There With Some Of The Lads
Whom Are Local ,Every Body Pulled Together And Helped Each Other
The Bad Memory , I Would Say Is That An Old Friend Of Mine Whom Lived Directly Oppersite The Pub ,Never Stepped In The Pub For A Tot ,Nor Any Other Pub In Her Life , She Was A Larger Than Life Lady Very Happy And Go Lucky ,She Had ALOT Of Kids And Lived For Them , But The Saddest Thing Of All She Had A Very Lazy Good For Nothink Husband Never Worked In Is Life ,
She Moved Down From Monument Rd To Hingegestion St, She Was There
For Less And 12 Months , When One Lunch Time In 56/7 He Asked Her To
Nipp Across To The Out Door To Fetch Him 10 Park Drive , In There House They Was A Poor Family And They Used To Burn Timber .Logs ,
And He Always Kept An Axe In The Fire Grate , And Because She Kept
Him Waiting FOR Ages , When She Eventulay Came Back ,He Started To
Shout At Her And He Accused Her Of Having An Affair With The Gather
Over At The Pub , And Then He Chopped Her In The Head And Killed Her .
The Kids Went Into Care And He Got Life In Prison ,And Which In Those Days Was Only Ten , Or Fifteen Years To Serve , As I Said They Was Friends Of Mine, I,M nOT Thinking Your Father Was The Sme Gather
At That I Would Imagine He Would Have Moved On By Then,
Also I Believe Its A Small World , And Strange , When I Said That Mrs
Hanlon Moved FromA Terrace In Momument Rd Close To Shakespear Rd
There Was Another Lady And Family I Knew Very Well She Was A Neibour ToMrs Hanlon , Her Name Was Mrs Curly , In The Same Terrace On The Monument Rd In Fact 4 Doors From Each Other
She Endened Up Murdered And Burnt To Death In Her Own Bed As
I Recently Mentioned Under Fire On The Thread
And Also To Finish Off The Gather Of The Other Pub The Hingestion Was Also Murdered A Couple Of Years After The First Case With Mrs Hanlon
Then By A Certain Gang He Got Caught And Served Five Years ,
Thats Some Of The Good And Bad Memories Of The Hingestion St For Me
IDo Have Loads More But I Better Sign Of This Thread Now ASTONIAN ,

hi astonian. what a tale that is. must tell dad if he dosnt already know. all this happened well after dad left. dads name is george harrington his mother was taken in by the gaffer (george doyle) and missus of the rose and crown when her parents died. dad was born in 1929. not sure when he moved from the pub but i do know as a young lad he was living in hunters vale then after they got bombed out they moved round the corner to villa street. thank god dads lot were nowt to do with all the carry ons. thanks for the memories. wales.

Is this the pub the other murder took place in Astonian?

"The Laurels"

Thank you to Mac Joseph for the amazing images.

HI DIBBS
Good Morning To You And One And ALL
Yes It Was The Laurels The Next Pub Down Where The Murder Took Place
And I Too Would Like To Thank Mac For His Photographs
Have A Nice Day DIBB Best Wishes ASTONION

hi charlie my name is colin and i have just spotted that you are looking for the name poolton, now i have no pooltons in my tree but from the new spring st or crab tree rd area i do have poultons head named thomas could this be the same one by any chance colin

Hello Colin, My Pooltons lived in Pope Street/Camden Drive area - before that they were around Bishopsgate Street. The name was often spelled "Poulton" on census returns though. The nearest I have to yours was my grandmother's sister Eliza Poolton who married one of the Millingtons who ran the College pub. Sorry, I don't think we have a connection.

hi all ccarwithen here, hope iv`e got the right foum but does anyone remember a mr and mrs herbert who lived at 53 camden st which according to it was almost on the corner oa arthur st i`m not sure if they had a shop or not and does anyone know where 36 court 4 would have been thanks colin

to mikejee thanks a million for the location of 36 court 4 now i not only have the address i can see it, it may not seem much but it makes a difference to me as i can almost visualize where ir was because one of my uncles married the daughter of mr and mrs herbert who lived at 53 camden st which was almost on the corner of arthur st(which i am presuming was arthur place on your map) again many thanks ccarwithen

Back