• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hill Street

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Pity Hill Street was stripped of its arch. The arch seems to have gone through various reductions over time. It once had a clock and coat of arms, then it changes to a very bland arch (rebuilt or just stripped back?) to finally being entirely removed. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

This is labelled "Original Queen's Head" on Hill Street, Birmingham. But is it? Viv.

image.jpeg

Doesn't look much like the Birmingham Hill St, but of course, as we have found with Digbeth before, there are other Hill Streets

i thought the same mike looks a tad narrow to me but who knows..places changed so much...i guess only a look up will help to see if there was a queens head pub there..nice photo viv..

Looks steeper than Hill Street in Brum. However, coupled with the cobbles, I would relish going up here on a bicycle. I don't think I'm aware of such a pub in Birmingham. Something is telling me Brierley Hill or perhaps Dudley?? The Brierley Hill road of this name was quite steep - not as long as it once was though. There used to be a Batham's pub at the top of the hill called the Spread Eagle. Not aware of an Original Queen's Head here though - but you never know!!

Looks steeper than Hill Street in Brum. However, coupled with the cobbles, I would relish going up here on a bicycle. I don't think I'm aware of such a pub in Birmingham. Something is telling me Brierley Hill or perhaps Dudley?? The Brierley Hill road of this name was quite steep - not as long as it once was though. There used to be a Batham's pub at the top of the hill called the Spread Eagle. Not aware of an Original Queen's Head here though - but you never know!!
I love a hill - here I am in 2014 on a very famous cobbled street used in the Hovis adverts years ago

Attachments

• Hill.jpg.jpg
    Hill.jpg.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 21

Attachments

• City Hill St.jpg
    City Hill St.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 42
  • City Hill Street.jpg
    City Hill Street.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 41
Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone confirm if this is Hill Street please ? If so where does the opening between the two pillars lead to ? New St Station ? Tram (edited) dated 1912. Viv.

042EBED9-B065-4614-89E4-4FD7E8124588.jpeg

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm if this is Hill Street please ? If so where does the opening between the two pillars lead to ? New St Station ? Image dated 1912. Viv.

View attachment 136280
Viv
You say image ated 1912, but none of the clothing looks 1912, nor do the bicycles, in fact the man walking behind the tram looks positively post-war (reminds me of that running man who appeared in a few pictures). The tram is in the pre - war colours, although some remained like that until after the war. What did the destination blind on the tram read?

Bob

The tram is on route 39 which was Hill Street to Alcester Lanes End via Balsall Heath. Electric trams commenced on this route in 1907 but route numbers were not introduced until 1915. The trams, one of the series 401 - 450 were built in 1912. all but one survived until 1949.
I agree the clothing is more post WW2. so I also think the date of the photo refers to the building date of the tram. All of which suggests that dates on photos may be confusing.

Last edited:
Was wondering what the railings were on the left behind the diversion sign. Public toilets ? Viv.

Back