• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hill St Lavatories

horsencart

master brummie
Many year ago there were underground public toilets at the bottom (stifles a giggle) of Hill St a few years ago they were taken out of service, and a new set of toilets opened up about a hundred yard or so close to Hurst street these to were underground in that the traffic ran above, fast forwood a few years and this area was re modeled and these toilets were replaced with.... nothing,

But to return to the underground toilets at the bottom of Hill St now I think that the may have been built in the Edwardian times? or at a pinch the Victorian times, I have to say that it not my area of research, a couple of years ago a part of the toilets reappeared, so I took a small number of photos, the area has been refilled and cannot be seen,

here are the photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/14218362252/ the green line on the tiled wall shows the line of the stairway (now gone) I also suspect that this was the Gents part of the toilets till proved other
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/14034076779/in/photostream/ and https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/14034080649/in/photostream/

horsencart

The underground toilets you describe were outside my pub of choice in the mid 60's, The Crown known to some as Cutlers. The toilets were well known to the pre legal gay community as "The Golden Slipper".

Attachments

• City Hill St - Station St 1978 ad.JPG
    City Hill St - Station St 1978 ad.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 71
  • City New St Station Hill St-Station St .jpg
    City New St Station Hill St-Station St .jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 69
Off subject I note that in the second photo there are no bollards on the corner of Hill St and Lower Station St and yet they are there now

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dofartshavelumps/13740530114/in/set-72157632632841664 I did think that they had been there a lot longer just shows you

horsencart

The underground toilets you describe were outside my pub of choice in the mid 60's, The Crown known to some as Cutlers. The toilets were well known to the pre legal gay community as "The Golden Slipper".

horsencart,

As you can see from this 1888 photo, there is no indication of the underground toilets at that time.

Attachments

• City Station St Midland Station (New St Station) 1888.JPG
    City Station St Midland Station (New St Station) 1888.JPG
    129.8 KB · Views: 50
Well Phil
When do you recon they was first installed then it must have been the turn of the 1900s
as they was there for centuries men and ladies under ground and there was a steel gate on them at one time
and on the little island based around them was one or two steel pivit style bolards with little ball top shapes at the tops
and the blue bollards you have shown are further down towards the cross rd and not excatly out side the pub [ in blue ] as i recal them
on the picture of 18880s you show the station wall going around the bend and you can see the oriniginal opening
for the rail way loading of trains but i put it to you phil those toilets ,if they was there but not on the picture
of the one you showned us in 18oos the toilets would have been where the wall started on your picture of the left hand side of the picture
and would have been the very bottom of hill street and that very wall you are showing could have been the one they named queens drive with the arches but i will cros check tjhe picture with the wall astonian

Many year ago there were underground public toilets at the bottom (stifles a giggle) of Hill St a few years ago they were taken out of service, and a new set of toilets opened up about a hundred yard or so close to Hurst street these to were underground in that the traffic ran above, fast forwood a few years and this area was re modeled and these toilets were replaced with.... nothing,
The public toilets there are now one of those coin-op things at the top end of Hurst St.

Hi guys
As anybody tried and tested these new design toilets boxes where you put a coin in to step in and use them
We have got them in Worcestershire but I still use the normal ones for public use
What happen ends if it goes faulty and you cannot get out and you get locked in
I will never use them for that fear best. Wishes astonian

They are awful (personal opinion) you will get twenty minutes for a visit after that time you will get a voice telling you when the does will open, after the doors have opened and you stumble into the day light the bog then goes into self clean mode after about five or ten minutes (seems like more if you are outside waiting with your bladder at bursting point )

Hi guys
As anybody tried and tested these new design toilets boxes where you put a coin in to step in and use them
We have got them in Worcestershire but I still use the normal ones for public use
What happen ends if it goes faulty and you cannot get out and you get locked in
I will never use them for that fear best. Wishes astonian

Cor God blimey horsecart ;
I am glad i have not experienced those lavs suposing you have not finished your bussiness and the doors open;
and you could be sitting there or standing ; what ever
what would people think i wonder if they seen you in that postion itsnot worth thinking of if you asked me
I am glad i have never used one i stick with the victorian ones
Incidently horse cart ; or any body really whom lives in that neck of the woods of harborne
do you or anybody else know whether or not those dirty victorian toilets are still in harborne just by that old indoor market up there
they was a really disgrace and pongie ; oof ; or have they been demoished ?.
the high street is good for charity shops and fast take aways venues
Its nice to know the old stores pub is still active many years ago we had a young couple come to us at the old ye lion acocks green
sent by the brewers M,B PUBS and asked us to train them up for the new management for that pub
As the old italian guy had a drug problems with the customers and was not stronger enough to move them on
so they got rid of him and put this couple in how long they lasted i do not know as them being a young inexperience couple the punters
would have taken the advantage of them i suirpose i don,t surprized they left
still thanks horsecart thanks for your info; on those DR Who toilets ; i will transit back to victoria toilets beam me up scotty ; Astonian;;;;;;;;

Back