• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Highbury Hall

brummie60

master brummie
Highbury Hall is having a summer open day on sunday june 13th from 10-30 t0 15-30, free admission,guided tours are available for £3.00,its a lovely building and was once the home of the great man himself,Joseph Chamberlain,check council events website for more details,steve

My mom recently discovered a last will and testament of her great aunt Emily Litherland, who died in 1948. It says that when the will was written, in 1946, she was resident at Highbury Hall, Moseley. I was wondering whether this meant that she worked there, or was it used as a residential home at that time? Any answers gratefully received.
Thanks
Craig

Stitcher, it's a quite recent photo, I think - well, the last eitght years or so. My daughter had her wedding reception here in 2004 and it looked just like this. Somewhere I have some interior shots that I took when we went round on a visit.

Hello Leslam, carolina posted a request recently for some pics of Highburry Hall. I do not have any so I got that one off google.

Event at Highbury Hall - Sunday 13th April 2014 (tomorrow) FREE ADMISSION

Spring Craft Fayre
Sunday 13 April 2014

Get over the winter blues. A great day out for all the family. Come and visit Highbury Hall and explore this magnificent house, do a bit of indoor shopping for some unusual personalised gifts, from a variety of stalls and relax in our pop up tea room. Outdoor BBQ and ice creams will be on sale, (weather permitting). Bouncy castle, Nerf challenge, face painting and other outdoor entertainment for the kids, including a visit from Micky and Minnie Mouse, Peppa Pig and George!

Doors open: 11am
Doors close: 4pm
Free admission

information from the events calander on: https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/highbury

Here are a few photos I took at Highbury hall.
These are of Joseph Chamberlains study which has been left as a memorial to him.
In the study there were some information boards and although I can't remember the exact words (should of taken a photo) one of his sons had told a friend that when his father was due to give a speech he would be in his study for a few days and everyone in the house had to be quiet - it sounded as if at times there was quite an oppressive atmosphere in the house.

The third photo shows a close up of the mirror behind the desk. There are little ornate cupboards and shelves either side of the mirror - similar ones appear all around the house. I wonder what was kept in them....

Attachments

• DSC07518.JPG
    DSC07518.JPG
    178.6 KB · Views: 15
  • DSC07520.JPG
    DSC07520.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC07523.JPG
    DSC07523.JPG
    223.2 KB · Views: 13
Sorry this photo is taken at a bit of a funny angle - I had to avoid the lights.
The ceiling of the study is covered in wood panels with a marquetry pattern of leaves, the same pattern is repeated all over the ceiling (top of the photo).
There is an ornate carved cornice, a small amount of wood paneling and finally the tops of the bookcases.

Attachments

• DSC07522.JPG
    DSC07522.JPG
    221 KB · Views: 10
These lovely stained glass windows are towards the top of the staircase.

Attachments

• DSC07512.JPG
    DSC07512.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC07511.JPG
    DSC07511.JPG
    149.9 KB · Views: 5
IMG_1516.jpg IMG_1517.jpg IMG_1518.jpg For an idea of Highbury Hall in 1904 here are a couple of pictures and a write up of Joe's house...from the Bystander.

I have merged Highbury Hall threads and moved them to the "Buildings" section. Viv.

The restoration of Highbury by the Chamberlain Highbury Trust is discussed by Tristram Hunt and in the second film Chamberlain's work is described.

Black Lives Matter- Chamberlain Highbury Trust Statement.

Back