• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

High Street, Aston

In answer to a couple of queries re the photos of High Street, Aston.

Post 46 - the funeral place was actually Ingall, Clive & Parsons who made coffin furniture (handles, plates etc).
and the wood place was Hockley Woodworkers.

Post 53 - Viv, the Model Bakery was actually George Baines, and I believe the bakery was in Finch Road, off Lozells Road.

good shot here showing the house that jack built..

pudding it also give a better view of the dog and duck pub we spoke about in an earlier post...

img854.jpg

The Scotch House,corner of High St Aston and Whitehead St.

Attachments

• High St Aston,Scotch House corner Whitehead St.jpg
    High St Aston,Scotch House corner Whitehead St.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 51
Re: Vokes

Hello, I am new to this site and not so great with ICT so bear with me.....I have come on here, because after clearing my mother in law's house in Frederick Road, Aston, I have a collection of correspondence from her next door neighbours. I was wondering if anyone wished to be re-united with it? Family name is Edwards and I believe they lived at 60 High Street, Aston before moving to Frederick Road. I will try an upload the picture of the shop I have. They have become like my friends and I would love to know more - even better re-unite the bits I have with family.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    452 KB · Views: 58
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 74
What a lovely shop. Just like a secondhand bookshop used to be like.
From Kellys for 60 high St:
1908 furney robert Brushmaker
1910 not listed
1912-1921 Edwards Herman picture framer
1932-1950 Edwards Herman Francis, secondhand book seller
1955-1962 Edwards Mrs Emma, secondhand book seller
1963-1971 Edwards H. secondhand booksllr
1972 it had gone

Re: Vokes

Hello, I am new to this site and not so great with ICT so bear with me.....I have come on here, because after clearing my mother in law's house in Frederick Road, Aston, I have a collection of correspondence from her next door neighbours. I was wondering if anyone wished to be re-united with it? Family name is Edwards and I believe they lived at 60 High Street, Aston before moving to Frederick Road. I will try an upload the picture of the shop I have. They have become like my friends and I would love to know more - even better re-unite the bits I have with family.

What a lovely gesture and beautiful photo. I do hope someone on here finds a connection to the Edwards family. The collection sounds facinating. I bet my family used that shop as my Dad's sisters were avid readers and lived in Aston.

Hi again, when you say gone...do you mean demolished? I have been through this thread now looking at pics and have driven around there in the past but can't visualise where it would have stood.

Kind Regards

And realised now, not there. I used to teach at Holte school from 1991 until 96 - I recognise nothing around there.

hi sk1001 you probably know this but just in case you dont holte school has now been demolished..

lyn

I hope mikegee will be able to help me, I had relatives at 177 High street Aston in 1881 I would like to know its location please mike

We had our wedding reception at the "Sharholders" in 1967 which stood on the corner of Park Lane & Potters Hill. It's still there now, derelict and standing on it's own. Does anyone know why it hasn't been demolished? Did they give it a listing along with the Bartons Arms? (joke)

I was born in 99 High street, 1955. Got the detailed Map off Mikajee! but i still can't upload anything from files onto the forum,
Ingall, and Parsons?. I think my Aunt, Rosa Coley used to work there, didn't they make coffins too.?
yes I think they did

Back