• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Heritage at risk register, heritage zones - English Heritage

Mike

As you say a bit late for Birmingham to start worrying, anyway if anyone on Birmingham City Council sees this site they will say they haven't.

Phil

Hi Mike,

I can't speak for Birmingham, but it seems that I read of some old textile or other mill being torched almost every week up north. Just a way for some developer to get around the listed buildings problem! :(

Maurice :cool:

Good link Mike. There's a Flickr Industrial Heritage Link on the link you've posted which is for posting any interesting industrial building. Judging by discussions on this site, there ought to be plenty of examples from B'ham that could be shown on there, if nothing else. But yes, it's not much consolation for all those good examples that have now gone. Viv

The problem with industrial heritage is that one man's meat is another man's poison. For example, in Sheffield there's a strong movement to preserve at least some of the old steel-mills, but having spent a good deal of my earlier working life in them, I'd say "no thanks!" as they are to my mind just eyesores. On the other hand, the old Crocodile Works on Summer Lane is definitely worth saving. Purely my opinion!

Big Gee

Hi All,

There is indeed a serious lack of interest in saving many of these places. A quick list of places I have "explored" that are now rubble are as follows (all in Brum)
Ariel motorcycle factory (Bournebrooke)
Westly Richards gun makers (Bournebrooke)
Pearce and Cutler glass (Jewellry quarter)
Co-operative furniture/weights and scales division (Belmont Row) Mostly demolished.
Birmingham Battery (Admin building Selly Oak)

Afew that are still standing, but getting worse,
Archway of tears, old workhouse entrance
Lallian's Mill (Bordsley)
George W Huges pen makers (Jewellry quarter)
Ashton and moore anodisers (Jewellry quarter)
Sloane House (Jewellry quarter)
Moesley Road Baths (still open but the parts that are not used are in poor state)
Stirchley Baths
At the end of Moesley road, opposite the baths, there is a large industrial unit that we explored which looked Victorian, but I can find no history for. It is a huge place just going to rack and ruin, and could so be used, but alas, it's been forgotten about!!

That's just the few I can remember. There are more, but off the top of my head, they are lost!!!!

Last edited:
I do find it diificult to understand, Virusman, why properties are left to deteriorate as they are in Birmingham. Where I live now this simply would not happen, presumably as here, property is treated as a valuable resource or investment.
What is the building opposite Moseley Rd Baths to which you refer? There is the School of Art, a church & 498 Moseley Rd occupied / formerly occupied by BP.
https://www.moseleyroadbaths.co.uk/
https://www.28dayslater.co.uk/moseley-road-swimming-baths-birmingham-august-2015.t99234
(The other links do not now work)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Industrial heritage at risk - Old Tram Depot Offices, Moseley and Trafalgar Roads

I have just begun work with a group interested in purchasing and restoring the Old Tram Depot Offices at 582 Moseley Road. I will try to upload photos on the English Heritage site - thanks for that. And any suggestions as to other things I can do over coming weeks and months to bring attention to this lovely building would be most welcome.

K

BigGee I'm afraid it is far too late to save the Crocodile Works in Summer Lane, it has been demolished and an apartment block built, I think I saw a photo of the opening only in the last week or so.

Why is it Mike that british heritage spend millions on the great and the good but bearly anything on preserving our great national industrial heritage, as you say bit lat for Birmingham now but it was in its hay day the crusibal of the industrial revolution, and earned this country countless millions, but left a waste land in the re-organisation of brum in the 60's and 70's.
paul

The Heritage at Risk Register lists many Birmingham features. I've extracted out the information from the 2015 report below. This post lists the West Midlands report overview. The second post lists individual Birmingham buildings/places. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
And the listings ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 25
Yes Wam, there are errors and not alll are up to date. But I'm glad to see these places are on the radar. Viv.

Back