• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Henry Burgess - Metal Spinner b 1827-28

H

harborne

:tickedoff: :(
Hi again

Just wondering if anyone can help me with Henry Burgess born 1827-28 in Birmingham, Warwick.  Am trying to find his parents and/or his marriage.  I do know that he had a son called Henry if that is any help...?  Either that or could you point me in the right direction to obtain these records.  There was a long line of Burgesses who lived in central Birmingham right back to about 1800 that I know of, but I don't know which churches they went to or anything so don't know where to search for parish records...?

Best wishes.

P.S. How do you get the nice little picture profiles beside your names?

C

harborne,
Not being very clever I can't help you with the first part of your enquiry but I'm sure someone will be along soon to point you in the right direction.

To get the little picture (avatar) by your profile, click the Profile button at the top of the page, then select "Forum Profile Information" on the LH side of page. The easiest way is to then select "Personalize Picture" (click the spot next to it to activate the radio button), select the catagory you want (actors, animated etc.) and make your choice from the column to the right (your selection can be previewed on the left). Then scroll to the bottom of the page and click "Change profile". It seems comlicated but it's easier than it sounds.

Good luck. O0

Hi Harborne, I found birth of Henry Burgess

Born 12 April 1827

Christened 8 September 1828 st Phillips Birmingham
Father Henry Mother Mary.

I then looked on the 1851 Census

These two households might be your family. The occupation of metal spinner and sliver plater just might be related. I couldn't see another family of the right ages and names in Brum.

Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
Henry  BURGESS Head M 48 M Silver Plaiter Birmingham-WAR
Mary A.  BURGESS Wife M 47 F --- Birmingham-WAR
Catherine  BURGESS Daur U 21 F Stay Maker Birmingham-WAR
Elizabeth  BURGESS Daur U 19 F Dressmaker Birmingham-WAR
Ann  BURGESS Daur U 17 F Scholar Birmingham-WAR
William A.  BURGESS Son U 12 M Scholar Birmingham-WAR
Address: Navigation St 73, Birmingham
Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2055 Folio: 269 Page: 26 FHL Film: 0087314

andHead: BURGESS, Henry    Neighbors     274973
Name Relationship Mar Age Sex Occupation Birthplace
Henry  BURGESS Head M 22 M Silver Plater Birmm-WAR
Rebecca  BURGESS Wife M 22 F --- Birmm-WAR
Helen M.  BURGESS Daur - 2 F --- Birmm-WAR
Address: 11 Cottage Terrace Lr Camden St, Birmm
Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire
PRO Reference: HO/107/2059 Folio: 300 Page: 37 FHL Film: 0332122

:D Thanks for your help I managed to get the profile going, I think!

I really appreciate the information on the Burgess families although it is a bit confusing, because young Henry is not present in the first lot, but I'm presuming he had his own little family by 1851. Is it deemed OK to do that in Family History? :smiley6600:

Don't know of any doctors in the family, but my father had a lot of brothers and sisters. Unfortunately they all fell out and we children had little or not contact with them so I don't know what became of them or their own children. It's possible your doctor could have been related, way far back, I suppose.

I also came across a William Burgess in some old Walsall photos the other day. He had been a soldier in the 1st World War and there had been a William Burgess in our family in Birmingham at some point. Walsall almost only being a stone's throw away I thought it was possible, and studying his photo, I did notice some family resemblance, but then maybe that was just coincidence. You never know, do you. It's fascinating though.

Best wishes.

C

Back