• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Heneage Street

Dwarfman

As far as schools are concerned it would have a lot to do with the religion of the children in question back then, I have added a map with number 62 Cato Street marked for you. I have also added a photo, the first house on the left was number 62 in 1958.

cato street.JPGCato Street 1958.JPG

Fantastic Phil, you are a font of knowledge & resources!
My elderly parents might be shocked but perhaps the buildings looked newer/smarter in 1891?!

I read in one of the postings on this fantastic site that the majority of houses in Aston were originally occupied by wealthier people but when factories were built with subsequent smoke along with the vast increase in workers and expanse of housing, the wealthier people moved out and the houses became multiple occupancy and courts were built etc to meet the housing demand.

They were baptised in St Matthews & St James the Less so Church of England.

Regards
Steve

dwarfman,

Don't forget when the above photo was taken those houses would be around a hundred years old then and had probably had very little work done on them for years. It looks like at the time of the photo they were just doing some remedial works.

The other houses I'm struggling to identify a picture of are;
Court 1, no. 4 Great Francis Street - 1891 census
180 and 181 Heneage Street - 1895 to 1908
2 Ashted Grove - 1925 to at least 1939

Any help is greatly appreciated and I will then have a full set to show my parents.

My family migrated from Swannington, Leics for work, the head of the family, James Chester, being a Wheelright in Leics worked on the railways and later in the mines as a Colliery Carpenter in Hucknall Torkard, Notts.

Regards
Steve

have you put heneage st in the search box as we do have a thread for that street...i myself have ancestors there from 1841

lyn

Hi, I’ve just found out my great grandfather and his widowed Mom with 7 Children were living at 211 Heneage Street in 1881 they were called Thomas..How can I get some photos please thanks.

Hi,

Does anyone have any pictures/maps of around 172 Heneage Street? I've seen the previous pictures in this thread and the maps but can't make out where 172 would be. The link for the thread at the start of this one no longer works.

Thank you.

And there are a couple of photos of the Grapes Inn here, sadly shot not wide enough to get a glimpse of 172...

Kentish Brummie, thank you for drawing together the threads about Henage Street.

There is a 22 June 2007 post seeking information about the Jones family who ran a successful butcher in Henage Street. Touch of the if only about this. My mother's best friend was the daughter of John Jones, both were alive in 2007 but not now. There may be more information about the family via the archivist at Aston Villa, the founder of the business John Adam Jones was chair of Aston Villa between the wars.

I recently visited 49 Henage Street, it is a new semi. It is near to but not on the site of my Grandparent’s shop. The owner had no idea what the street was like before redevelopment and have sent him this photo of my Mother outside No 49 in the late 30s. Have no idea of the name of the pub on the corner of Hanage and Windsor St. Can anyone help?

Attachments

• MotherHeneageSt.jpg
    MotherHeneageSt.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 12
Hi, I’ve just found out part of my family lived in “Heneage Row” in Heneage St, Ashted c:1882.

Does anyone know where abouts on the street Heneage Row might have been?

Cheers

Heneage Row was by 225 Heneage St, and still there after WW2, as shown in red on the 1950s map below
map 1950s showing  heneage Row.jpg

Seeing Heneage Street pop up in the threads I thought I'd post my Father's (James Dell) recollections of it. They were bombed out of their house in Sunningdale Road in 1941 and moved to Heneage Street.

We then moved to 91, Heneage Street, Ashted, Birmingham. The real reason for this I do not know, but I think it was because of Mum’s health, so that we could be near to her foster mother who was Grannie Kay, and her family, who all lived within yards of each other. The house we moved into was more bomb damaged than Sunningdale Road. All the windows were blown out and were covered in tarpaulin. There was no running water and no electricity. Dad had to pay seven pounds ten shillings (7 pounds 50 pence) to have electricity put in, and that was light only, no power plugs. Seven pounds ten shillings was a week and a half’s wages for my Dad. To save everyone running down the yard in the middle of winter for water, Dad put in a sink. He put the wastewater pipe through the wall into the entry and built a gully down the entry for the water to run into the road. Water was fetched in buckets from the brew house and left under the sink to use in washing up and making tea etc. I was about 12 years old at this time. I really hated the area, the school and the house. Dad must have disliked it also because we were only there for about 12 months and then we moved to Oldknow Road, Small Heath.

"Grannie Kay" was apparently quite a character. Originally from Ireland, in her younger years she had been a singer on ocean liners going across the Atlantic. - She would entertain people with her singing in the local pubs.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back