• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hen And Chickens Arcade

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
In Showells Dictionary a "Hen and Chickens Arcade" is mentioned. It was connected to the H&C hotel in New Street and exited onto Worcester Street. Would this later become the Burlington Arcade ? Viv.

This is the extract from Showell's Dictionary describing the Arcade

image.jpeg
Viv.

Last edited:
interesting viv...when i first saw the title i thought of the hen and chickens pub constitution hill :D

Hen and Chickens Hotel was further down New Street than Burlington Passage. This map is dated 1890 shows Burlington Passage and also the Hen and Chickens marked as Hotel next to King Edwards School. Burlington Arcade is where the word "Burlington" is on the map.
4b1a8319-81c1-4871-bafd-758564c7d962

64d23512-a775-41a9-b75d-1db783c3416e

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-19_12-3-50.png
    upload_2017-11-19_12-3-50.png
    251.4 KB · Views: 15
Thanks Janice. Wonder if the proposal in Showell's Dictionary never came to fruition then. It would have been a reasonably sized arcade with 24 shop units. So I would expect it to have shown up on maps. The plans must have been for an 'L' shaped arcade if it was to exit onto Worcester Street. Viv.

There is a "passageway" which seems to dog-leg but I couldn't find a map with it labelled as an arcade. It is almost hidden by the W on the map.

Looking at this map that Mossg originally posted on the Great Western Arcade thread, my guess is perhaps it was planned as a continuation of (although not joined to) the Midland arcade that exited on the other side of New Street. Birmngham seems to have gone through a period of arcade mania in the 1800s ! Viv.

Map below originally posted by Mossg.
image.jpeg

Arcades are listed under their own names in Kelly's and at the moment I can't find Hen and Chickens listed. Perhaps it didn't get built.

I've had a look through later maps and some buildngs were definitely added in the Hen and Chickens yard by about 1910. No idea what they are yet.

That's interesting Janice. Wonder if they started building the arcade but never completed it. Viv.

I don't think any buildings around 1910 will have any relevance, as the c1889 map shows a blank, and the 1890s Goad insurance map is marked "Ruins". However the Pigott Smith map c 1828 does seem to show some sort of arcade. The Hotel name is marked, though is not very easy to read as the hotel seems to have large open spaces, presumably the arcade.

map c 1828 showing hen & chickens hotel. new st.jpg map c 1889 showing Hen ^ chickens hotel.jpg

Mike I know you have subscription to newspapers - there are some articles which refer to the Hen and Chickens Arcade. Birmingham Post 1884 and 1885. I can see titles but cannot read as I don't subscribe.

You are right Janice. I had thought it was a bit earlier, and did not read the whole extract. Not sure what is shown on the c1828 map. It looks very complicated. There is another reference in Showell that says an aquarium was to hav ebeen built behind it , but was not, an arcade replacing it . there is a little mor ein the newspaper archives from the birmingham post on 11.2.1884 & 3.4.1884. there seems no other mentions come up, so I suspect that it was never built. Possibly the company either could not raise all the money, or , once it got control of the site, thought of a more profitable use

Birm post.3.4.1884 hen and chickens ARCADE.jpg bIRM POST.11.2.1884. hen and chickens arcade.jpg

Thanks for looking. (I think I might need to subscribe to the papers site.) The proposed arcade sounds very grand - money could have been an issue.

Yes Janice, that's an impressive plan for the arcade. Pity it didn't go ahead. Can we pinpoint exactly where it would have been on a later map please ? Would it have been where the Arden Hotel was ? Viv.

It seems to hav ebeen behind the Hen and Chickens, so would have been the back part of the arden, which went back furtgher thn the Arden, but also the part of the odeon behind the Arden.

Out of curiosity I checked out the architect and he designed quite a number of buildings in Birmingham. According to "Wikipedia" the following are notable.
  • Mason Science College, Edmund Street, 1880, demolished in 1964
  • The Dell, No.15 Westbourne Road, Edgbaston, 1880, Grade II
  • Gun Barrel Proof House (curators house, entrance range and forecourt), 1883, Grade II*
  • Old Liberal Club, Edmund Street, 1883, demolished 1964
  • American Fountain, Rother Street, Stratford upon Avon, 1886-7, Grade II*
  • Cromwell Junior and Infant School, 1888, Grade II
  • Bloomsbury Library, Nechells, 1890, Grade II
  • Birmingham Ear, Nose and Throat Hospital, Edmund Street, 1890-1, Grade II
  • Balsall Heath Library, 1895, Grade II*
No mention of an arcade!

I think a rather monstrous (to me) addition had been added then, as seen in the photo below.

City%20New%20St%20Hen%20%26%20Chickens%20Hotel%20%28site%20of%20Arden%20hotel%29.JPG

Looking at the plans suggested in Mike's post #16 it seems the 'monstrous' entrance would have actually formed part of the arcade ("an approach to the arcade") along with the vestibule just inside the building. The plan was to widen the porch. So you do wonder if it would have looked even more out of proportion with the rest of the Georgian building if the arcade had gone ahead !!

Viv.

So it would have been a bit like The Grand today, but with an out of proportion roof over the pavement

Back